In a predicament...

Wondering if it's already had some coating. There's not a swirl mark on it, albeit only 3000 miles old. Is there any way to tell if it has been coated?
Look for any stickers or docs.

Pour some water on see if it beads stays there or runs right off.

Hi everyone,

Im new to the forum and this will be my first thread post and it will be a little bit of a long one. Since Novemeber ive been test driving new cars to decide what my new car will be.

So far ive test driven (ill keep the detail to a minimum barring the RS3):

- Merc A45 AMG w/Aero pack etc - Blisteringly quick but suspsension and comfort was ****** horrendous and looks wise... well lets just say its no Scarlett Johansson imo.

- BMW m140i, 240i and M4 (I had the first two in the same day and the sales guy then took me out in his demo M4) As much as I absolutely loved the engine (and boy what an engine that Turbocharged 3.0L flat 6 is) and the happy back end, the interior felt cheap and general quality was no where near to what I was used to in the Audi Interiors and I think the price reflected this. Out of the 1 and 2 series I much preferred the 2's coupe styling and generally just looked the better car. Aslo where I live RWD is pretty much useless.

- Audi S3 FL Saloon - This was Panther Black fully loaded (SuperSports, MMI, Pan Roof, Virtual Cockpit S-Tronic etc). Firstly I have to say what they've done to the gearbox in the facelift is a miracle, ive been in a friends 15Plate S3 saloon and it is so much more jumpier (doesnt know what gear to pick half the time). Was really impressed with how much smoother the power delivery and the throttle response was as well compared to the pre-FL. Comfortablity was great as it had the mag suspension as standard with the 19" alloys as well as the Supersport seats. Overall I really did like the Saloon as a whole package but its still missing something special.... like a 5pot.

- Audi RS3 8V- Nardo Grey with almost all options. Ever since these cars started production back at the beginning of 2015 ive said I wanted one. So come the test drive this really was like :sign omg:.
Now having test driven the previous version and being in a few TTRS' i was already suited to the noise that came from a 5 pot... and as this had the Sports Exhaust as well, I knew it was going to be a fun 30 minute test drive. Off we go, first thing I notice is how much better everything is from its 8P brother also named 'Understeer', I know this is an obvious statement but it really has taken the 8P's worst bits and really improved on those, good that they listen to the consumers I suppose. I was truly shocked at how efficient the car felt below 4500 RPM in terms of fuel consumption and how capable of a daily driver it was. It only takes 2 minutes from the dealership to reach the A11 at Fourwentways. Time was 1:30PM so there was no traffic, perfect time to test the performance of the car :yes: WOW is all i could say as I came off the slip road to merge, this thing is an absolute pocket rocket and the sound beyond 4500 is an absolute treat. The route I went on also had some really nice backroads which really did test the suspension and not once did I feel uncomfortable or tense.... okay maybe a tiny bit when i threw the car over the brow of a hill, but even so the grip on this car was crazy (Im used to the quattro in my TT but this things another level) and with it being a RARE dry day in the UK, it meant I really could enjoy the car. We get back to the dealership and I was pretty much ready to sign pen and paper and started to talk about what deals we could put together, they then tell me that the car had sold literally the day before, so I was pretty bummed to say the least.

Eever since ive been keeping my eye open and looking at what the prices are doing. Im trying to not go overkill on my deposit as im trying to save for other things as well. Ive seen a coupe lurking about but none that have the options that I want which explains the price of some of them. Do I wait for the RS3 Saloon to test drive as I really did like the saloon, or do I just go sod it and get the Sportback.

Sorry for the long thread but i am just so confused as what to do... hoping you 'non-biased' guys and gals:haha: can help me make a decision.

Cheers,

J
@Jay_Jordan - Interesting thoughts ...

That's my panther with grechniq crystal serum black on it beading when clean.

Attachments

• IMG_1638.JPG
    IMG_1638.JPG
    1,002 KB · Views: 137
  • IMG_1636.JPG
    IMG_1636.JPG
    778.7 KB · Views: 134
Reactions: Snake Pliskin
That's my panther with grechniq crystal serum black on it beading when clean.

Photo #1 is my A1 Spaceman this morning after overnight rain (photo #2 back in December); 4-year old Black Edition in Daytona grey and never waxed since purchased last July; sits out all weathers and just washed 'quickly' with 1-bucket of clean water with a dash of Simonize car wash; rinse with 1-gallon of deionised water, a flash over (glass an all) with Poorboy's Spray and Gloss, and wipe with a Kent drying cloth: 20-minutes max - and walk away:

P1040411x A1 on winter rubber

Tried lots of stuff over the years but for me little and often is sometimes best: our TT and RS3 get same treatment - no wax, no polish, no rubbing, no swirls, no scratches: just sayin'.

Absolutely loving my 16 plate Mythos RS3... Might be persuaded to sell at the right price as maybe I don't need 2 cars longer term... New RS4 Avant maybe?? Offers on 8k miles.

Reactions: Snake Pliskin
Absolutely loving my 16 plate Mythos RS3... Might be persuaded to sell at the right price as maybe I don't need 2 cars longer term... New RS4 Avant maybe?? Offers on 8k miles.

RS4 passion wagon :)

Same here, though Stafford Audi has kindly offered to assist with the door widening, how nice of 'em - but I know they're just after BLUEY...

The RS7 is a big barge and I love it. I don't care what it looks like ONLY what it does; and from 60mph to silly illegal speeds the RS7/6 or S8 is amazing - it's that twin-turbo power-plant up front that does it.

But for everyday use (driver and 1-passenger) I'd still take the RS3, period: it is smaller, neater, more chuckable/agile, and quicker too, in my own experience.

But on an open road above 3-digit speeds the RS7 is one hell of a machine - and then somewhat boring as it's having to be held back some. Less can sometimes be sooo much more, and we find that with our 185bhp twin-charge A1 as you can drive it 'harder' more often...

And I've measured my garage more than once and an RS7 still won't fit...
7072.gif
I had an RS7 BE BT in 2013 and frankly whilst it served it's purpose for 250 a day round trips on the motorway and looked good. It was way too big outside.. too small inside... harsh ride on 21in wheels.. It was fun and thanks to huge discount I think 25%+ and Audi contribution didn't cost me a lot , I dont want an RS7 enough said. Agree with H about the RS3 ... Paid cash for mine too and dont really do the £x deposit and £y a month arithmetic as you can generally convince yourself what you want to do and then realise that 3 years on things aren't quite what you thought, by which time you will have forgotten or your circumstances have changed.. My RS3 might be a keeper but RS4 Avant ?? who knows. As long as I don't lose too much money I'm happy!