Bilstein B12 Mini Review

VWNCC

Reaction score
I have finally installed the Bilstein B12 kit on my car. It is a kit with the Eibach prokit springs and the Bilstein B8 shocks.

Background: I have had my share of driving time in an A3 with standard suspension, sport suspension, as well as the S3 standard suspension and the S3 magnetic ride suspension.

To make it a simpler comparison, I will use a scale of 1-10 on the different aspects (10 being the best and 1 being the worst).

Harshness: The setup is surprisingly comfortable, overall it is about the same as the A3 sport suspension in terms of harshness.

A3 Standard: 10
A3 Sport: 8
S3 Standard: 7
S3 Magride in Dynamic: 6
B12 Kit: 8

Ride Quality: This setup takes away all the floating and bounciness. The rebound response is noticeably quicker. It is just brilliant. This is very subjective, so I won't give a score.

Handling: I don't track, this is all about street performance. It corners very flat. Acceleration squat and brake dive are almost completely eliminated. It is also not bouncy at all on the road.

A3 Standard: 4
A3 Sport: 6
S3 Standard: 7
S3 Magride in Dynamic: 8
B12 Kit: 8

Ride Height / Visual: the Fender to Ground measurements are both ~25.5" front and rear, so a tad lower than the S3 ride height. For those looking for a big drop, this kit is not for you. It is a rather mild drop. Visually, it looks very much OEM.

A3 Standard: ~27"
A3 Sport: ~26.5"
S3 Standard: ~26"
S3 Magride in Dynamic: ~26"
B12 Kit: ~25.5"

From the way I see it, other than the reduction in practicality (less ground clearance), cost, and suspension warranty voiding, I can only think of positives!

Superb suspension kit!

Reactions: FrA1l3, PanamaS3, Fiddie and 3 others
thanks for the review...great to hear....gotta pull trigger soon, so great timing! :)

Reactions: Rob2k68
thanks for the review...great to hear....gotta pull trigger soon, so great timing! :)

Seeing that you have significantly modded your car, I am not sure if the Bilstein B12 kit will be enough for you. :smiley:

IMO (subjective), the Bilstein B12 is probably one of the best "compromise" or optimization for fun street driving.

If you do any kind of tracking, I would probably go with Bilstein B14 or the Bilstein B16. That said, the B12 is a very nice deal for the money.

Based on your other post, you seem to want to maintain ride height.

The B12 only lowers it by 10 mm (lowers by 1 finger gap), basically from -25mm to -35mm.

The Bilstein B14 and B16 can be set to -30 to -50 mm. Therefore, when set to highest, B14 and B16 will be a tad higher than the B12 and closer to the stock ride height of -25mm.

I should add @VWNCC .....where did you buy these from? cheers

Please note that I am not from Europe. I got it from the north american Bilstein distributor.

Reactions: PanamaS3
Seeing that you have significantly modded your car, I am not sure if the Bilstein B12 kit will be enough for you. :smiley:

IMO (subjective), the Bilstein B12 is probably one of the best "compromise" or optimization for fun street driving.

If you do any kind of tracking, I would probably go with Bilstein B14 or the Bilstein B16. That said, the B12 is a very nice deal for the money.

Based on your other post, you seem to want to maintain ride height.

The B12 only lowers it by 10 mm (lowers by 1 finger gap), basically from -25mm to -35mm.

The Bilstein B14 and B16 can be set to -30 to -50 mm. Therefore, when set to highest, B14 and B16 will be a tad higher than the B12 and closer to the stock ride height of -25mm.

Please note that I am not from Europe. I got it from the north american Bilstein distributor.

Great info and research @VWNCC (seen some of your posts also on VW sites) and thanks again :friends:! Yes I have done a bit of modding :shutup2:, but to be honest I just want to make the car more streetable and fun (and lose the damn bounce!) and not drop silly money when I don't track my car....so this kit looks perfect for what I want. Recently ModdedEuros had the B16 priced ridiculously low at about $1,400 but its gone now :sadlike:...and I have found one (only one!) place in the US (I live in Panama so this is where I get all my mods from...but my car is Euro spec) which sells the B12....tunershop.com...never heard of them before...am hoping they are legitt as they have the kit for $740 plus shipping which is a great deal I think...though I'd prefer to use a tried and tested seller to get exactly the right kit if you don't mind sharing where you got yours :whistle2::friendly wink:
I was seriously considering the MSS sport adjustable kit (springs)....William the owner (in the UK) was very helpful talking to him...and Excelr8 (US stockists) were also....but at over $1k, and reading a bit, I thought it was maybe worth it more on a magride equipped car (which I don't have).
Thanks again!

Great info and research @VWNCC (seen some of your posts also on VW sites) and thanks again :friends:! Yes I have done a bit of modding :shutup2:, but to be honest I just want to make the car more streetable and fun (and lose the damn bounce!) and not drop silly money when I don't track my car....so this kit looks perfect for what I want. Recently ModdedEuros had the B16 priced ridiculously low at about $1,400 but its gone now :sadlike:...and I have found one (only one!) place in the US (I live in Panama so this is where I get all my mods from...but my car is Euro spec) which sells the B12....tunershop.com...never heard of them before...am hoping they are legitt as they have the kit for $740 plus shipping which is a great deal I think...though I'd prefer to use a tried and tested seller to get exactly the right kit if you don't mind sharing where you got yours :whistle2::friendly wink:
I was seriously considering the MSS sport adjustable kit (springs)....William the owner (in the UK) was very helpful talking to him...and Excelr8 (US stockists) were also....but at over $1k, and reading a bit, I thought it was maybe worth it more on a magride equipped car (which I don't have).
Thanks again!

No worries. If you just want to get rid of the bounciness, maybe the Bilstein B6 shocks alone would suffice.

I got the Eibach prokit springs from tunershop.com and the Bilstein B8 shocks from essex distributor. I wanted easier warranty claim for the shocks in case something goes wrong, so went with official instead of tunershop.com.

Based on my limited experience with tunershop.com (and that they delivered the springs nicely and on time), I'd say they are legit.

Note: I made sure the Bilstein B12 is Eibach prokit + Bilstein B8, and confirmed with both Eibach and Bilstein. I compared the individual part numbers before ordering them separately.

No worries. If you just want to get rid of the bounciness, maybe the Bilstein B6 shocks alone would suffice.

I got the Eibach prokit springs from tunershop.com and the Bilstein B8 shocks from essex distributor. I wanted easier warranty claim for the shocks in case something goes wrong, so went with official instead of tunershop.com.

Based on my limited experience with tunershop.com (and that they delivered the springs nicely and on time), I'd say they are legit.

Note: I made sure the Bilstein B12 is Eibach prokit + Bilstein B8, and confirmed with both Eibach and Bilstein. I compared the individual part numbers before ordering them separately.

Many thanks Sir!
Very close to pulling trigger....but just found a Bilstein approved dealer online who has the B12 prokit for a good price AND B16 PSS10 for around $1,400:scared2: pray for me in these dark decision days :readit:

Reactions: VWNCC
Many thanks Sir!
Very close to pulling trigger....but just found a Bilstein approved dealer online who has the B12 prokit for a good price AND B16 PSS10 for around $1,400:scared2: pray for me in these dark decision days :readit:

Hard decision eh? B12 is around USD 750, so it is a steal for what it is, but USD1400 for B16 is also a very good deal.

Hard decision eh? B12 is around USD 750, so it is a steal for what it is, but USD1400 for B16 is also a very good deal.
Well....I've just gone a done a thing....just ordered the B12 street prokit from tunershop :) and while I was at it....034 Motorsport street density strut mounts, SuperPro front adjustable endlinks....and some Bosch ICON wipers :)
Now time for a cup of tea :) ....can't wait to get all this on....thanks again for all the advice :friends:

Well....I've just gone a done a thing....just ordered the B12 street prokit from tunershop :) and while I was at it....034 Motorsport street density strut mounts, SuperPro front adjustable endlinks....and some Bosch ICON wipers :)
Now time for a cup of tea :) ....can't wait to get all this on....thanks again for all the advice :friends:

Hope you like it, but please don't blame me if you don't! :)

Please do tell what you think of it, especially with the 034 strut mount. I went with new OEM ones for the B12 install.

Hope you like it, but please don't blame me if you don't! :)

Please do tell what you think of it, especially with the 034 strut mount. I went with new OEM ones for the B12 install.

What!? You are not going to warranty your comments?! :)
It's all good...can't be worse than standard setup. Yes I needed the new strut mounts as mine are gone (nice knocking sound over every small bump at low speed)....thought I'd try the street density 034 ones over the race ones, but heard their end links were not great (dustboots flimsy)...and heard nothing but great things with SuperPro endlinks....will let you know anyway how it all feels.

If I want it stiffer after this then I might do SuperPro rear sway with matching endlinks....but think that's going too far for the roads here. Dare I say it...I'm getting close to being done :whistle2:

What!? You are not going to warranty your comments?! :)
It's all good...can't be worse than standard setup. Yes I needed the new strut mounts as mine are gone (nice knocking sound over every small bump at low speed)....thought I'd try the street density 034 ones over the race ones, but heard their end links were not great (dustboots flimsy)...and heard nothing but great things with SuperPro endlinks....will let you know anyway how it all feels.

If I want it stiffer after this then I might do SuperPro rear sway with matching endlinks....but think that's going too far for the roads here. Dare I say it...I'm getting close to being done :whistle2:

Got it installed yet?

Got it installed yet?
Just got an email today from my mail forwarding company asking me to send a copy of the invoice....so not even arrived yet :whistle2:
Should have them on within the next 1-2 weeks tops....looking forward to it is an understatement!

So today was supposed to be the day of install....I say "supposed" as last night (in a panic) I realised that I had not bought new front strut bearings to go with the strut mounts...d'oh!....and also figured I should buy new rear mounts too....but can you find them anywhere on the internet?!? no! will head to Audi dealer today to see if they have, but @VWNCC what did you do with yours out of interest?
I have no squeeking upfront, which would suggest to me that my front bearings are ok.....and no noise from the back....but my mechanic prefers that I replace all bearings and mounts which I totally agree with....so its going to have to wait for now until I get everything.....:stupid:

sorry one last request @VWNCC.....after install, did you follow any particular alignment instructions? thanks in advance

So today was supposed to be the day of install....I say "supposed" as last night (in a panic) I realised that I had not bought new front strut bearings to go with the strut mounts...d'oh!....and also figured I should buy new rear mounts too....but can you find them anywhere on the internet?!? no! will head to Audi dealer today to see if they have, but @VWNCC what did you do with yours out of interest?
I have no squeeking upfront, which would suggest to me that my front bearings are ok.....and no noise from the back....but my mechanic prefers that I replace all bearings and mounts which I totally agree with....so its going to have to wait for now until I get everything.....:stupid:

You must be very excited! I basically went into a dealership to buy new OEM front strut mount and bearing. I did not get new rear strut mount as they aren't notorious for squeaking.

sorry one last request @VWNCC.....after install, did you follow any particular alignment instructions? thanks in advance

I had the car professionally aligned (I am not hands-on) at the installer. :)

Reactions: Rob2k68 and PanamaS3
You must be very excited! I basically went into a dealership to buy new OEM front strut mount and bearing. I did not get new rear strut mount as they aren't notorious for squeaking.

I had the car professionally aligned (I am not hands-on) at the installer. :)

thanks for the super quick response!
yeah I have no problems (that I'm aware of) with rear mount....I just bought online last night the 034 bearings as I assume they are different to OEM to match their strut mount....but honestly wish I could just get new OEM ones and get this thing going!....

thanks for the super quick response!
yeah I have no problems (that I'm aware of) with rear mount....I just bought online last night the 034 bearings as I assume they are different to OEM to match their strut mount....but honestly wish I could just get new OEM ones and get this thing going!....

Just be patient. :)

Here is a teaser of the ride height...it is not the best image....crappy phone camera picture....hid all the dirt with the B/W...haha....

Croped

Just be patient. :)

Here is a teaser of the ride height...it is not the best image....crappy phone camera picture....hid all the dirt with the B/W...haha....

View attachment 121009

yeah, I'm in to do it right first time....so the wait continues...
your car looks good and extremely clean in that light hahaha

yeah, I'm in to do it right first time....so the wait continues...
your car looks good and extremely clean in that light hahaha

Hahaha....I wish I could apply such lighting effect to it in real life sometimes...hahaha

Reactions: Rob2k68 and VWNCC
excellent! can't wait to get this kit on....its not about the looks obviously, but looking forward to seeing how my 19s sit :yahoo:

It will look nice. I am guessing it will be 1.5 finger gaps all around with 19".

It will look nice. I am guessing it will be 1.5 finger gaps all around with 19".

ok now i'm disappearing down a bit of a rabbit hole buying OEM parts to replace existing....and now I'm thinking I should buy 55mm bump stops for the front in case what I have now is 70mm....any idea @VWNCC ? sorry to bug you again....

ok now i'm disappearing down a bit of a rabbit hole buying OEM parts to replace existing....and now I'm thinking I should buy 55mm bump stops for the front in case what I have now is 70mm....any idea @VWNCC ? sorry to bug you again....

Bilstein B8 shocks do not need any bumpstop, as far as I know.

I believe the front B8 shocks have internal bumpstops and there is no rear bumpstop to begin with for OEM. I think I got all my bumpstops back with my OEM shocks.

Last edited:
Bilstein B8 shocks do not need any bumpstop, as far as I know.

I believe the front B8 shocks have internal bumpstops and there is no rear bumpstop to begin with for OEM. I got all my bumpstops back with my OEM shocks.

thanks Chief!....I decided to err on the cautious side....and ordered all the "bits" around the new kit....it was only another $280! :sign imnew:
genuineaudiparts.com .....will let you know how it goes.....and now the wait....again:footy:

thanks Chief!....I decided to err on the cautious side....and ordered all the "bits" around the new kit....it was only another $280! :sign imnew:
genuineaudiparts.com .....will let you know how it goes.....and now the wait....again:footy:

Installed yet? :racer:

Okay, so verdict? :)
Rear is done....fronts being done now....then alignment etc....hoping to get back today......all I need to do is spank it round the final leg of my home run to give initial thoughts

Rear is done....fronts being done now....then alignment etc....hoping to get back today......all I need to do is spank it round the final leg of my home run to give initial thoughts

Well....? :)

Are you too busy enjoying the new setup or are you too upset about it that you don't want to post about it anymore :( ?

Are you too busy enjoying the new setup or are you too upset about it that you don't want to post about it anymore :( ?
hahaha....no....after I wrote back to you I got told I had to go to The Bahamas for the rest of the week with work :scared2: but believe it or not I was a bit gutted cos I couldn't pick up the car!! lol. My wife had to....she came to get me from the airport yesterday night in it....drove it again this morning to work....still feeling it out.

First impressions....nice drop....feels more in control....over bumps before I felt the road like a blindman on his knees....now its noticeably better at soaking everything up.....feels even more comfortable, but at the same time tighter. Will give it some beans on the way home around some twisties, but I suspect its going to scare the pants off me how much faster I can go round them now.

My only niggle so far is that I can still hear a slight knock/tap sound going over small bumps, which whilst more pronounced before upfront, was (I thought) due to the front strut mounts going....now its harder to tell where its coming from (still front-ish I think, just fainter....but still there :culpability:). It sounds like something is loose after the shocks rebound. I very much doubt its my mechanics fault....but will have to get him to take a look at it with me.....I just can't believe it cos we replaced literally everything....