What have you done in your B9 today

Mine's been at the dealers for the past 2 days, supposedly having the passenger side mirror auto-dip fixed. However, it won't play up for them now it's in for repair. It's been going on since before Christmas and it's turning into a bit of a saga, but I didn't want to tell the whole story until it is fixed. If it still won't play up tomorrow I'll be collecting it and hoping the problem has righted itself. And then I'll post the story in a new thread.

Please read to the end @wideboybloke, this has a happy (and infuriatingly simple) ending. I had exactly the same problem. I even started a thread about it in September, when my first attempt failed. I've been in and out of the dealers 4 times in all. They initially changed the electrical control component for the mirror and after each time, they assured me that they had fixed it. The last time that it was 'fixed' it went wrong again immediately (as it had before). Could I get the thing to dip and return? Could I hell! It might intermittently dip and then return half way, or just sulk and refuse to budge. More often than not, I couldn't get the passenger mirror to move AT ALL. The next day I happened to be near to the dealers and went in to be met by the Master Tech who had dealt with the car for the previous 'fix', so at least he knew of the problem. He confirmed that there was still a problem until I happened to mention that I had always left the spare key with them and was using the 'main' key in daily use. A light went on in his head. The dipping/return is stored on the key. Whenever I had left the car in the dealership I had left them the spare key. It was evidently the spare key that retained the dipping information, and when I then tried to drive the car with the 'main' key, the mirror didn't respond properly, because the dipping function had never been set on the main key. We drove around for a bit and the Tech managed to re-set the dipping onto my main key. It has worked like a charm, faultlessly since then. Too simple for words, but not simple enough for the dealer ever to have asked me which key I'd left with them, or indeed for the manual to have any warning or information about setting the mirror using your daily key. I hope that helps.

Last edited:
The building seems to be the wrong shape for meadowhall as it looks like this. However it looks like bits have been cut from the posted image so I think you're correct..
Well done for using `you're` correctly. So nice to see.

Reactions: CHEZ and cuke2u
The problem is that it won't misbehave for them. They do know that there is a problem because when they looked at it before Christmas it wasn't working. However, that was after they'd had it in the workshop all day during which time it was working perfectly. I was just about to drive it home and checked it just in case and it wouldn't work, so I hoiked the service assistant and the technician out to the parking lot and showed them. They finally believed me and the car was re-booked in for yesterday.

They have apparently carried out "all sorts of tests" on it and nothing shows up as malfunctioning, so this afternoon I asked if anybody has actually taken the mirror assembly apart to see if there is anything obvious such as a loose wire. The answer was er... probably not because with warranty work they don't dismantle anything until a fault is found and, of course, at the moment they can't find a fault. If I have to bring it home tomorrow and it continues to malfunction, I shall insist that somebody strips down the assembly and takes a proper look. I gather that all they've done so far is hook it up to the laptop and the laptop says there isn't a problem.

There is more to the story, but I'll recount all that when it's all resolved.

Please read to the end @wideboybloke, this has a happy (and infuriatingly simple) ending. I had exactly the same problem. I even started a thread about it in September, when my first attempt failed. I've been in and out of the dealers 4 times in all. They initially changed the electrical control component for the mirror and after each time, they assured me that they had fixed it. The last time that it was 'fixed' it went wrong again immediately (as it had before). Could I get the thing to dip and return? Could I hell! It might intermittently dip and then return half way, or just sulk and refuse to budge. More often than not, I couldn't get the passenger mirror to move AT ALL. The next day I happened to be near to the dealers and went in to be met by the Master Tech who had dealt with the car for the previous 'fix', so at least he knew of the problem. He confirmed that there was still a problem until I happened to mention that I had always left the spare key with them and was using the 'main' key in daily use. A light went on in his head. The dipping/return is stored on the key. Whenever I had left the car in the dealership I had left them the spare key. It was evidently the spare key that retained the dipping information, and when I then tried to drive the car with the 'main' key, the mirror didn't respond properly, because the dipping function had never been set on the main key. We drove around for a bit and the Tech managed to re-set the dipping onto my main key. It has worked like a charm, faultlessly since then. Too simple for words, but not simple enough for the dealer ever to have asked me which key I'd left with them, or indeed for the manual to have any warning or information about setting the mirror using your daily key. I hope that helps.
Beagle - I think that may well help. Thank you so much. The service dept have my spare key and when it went in before Christmas they also had my spare key and of course it all worked perfectly! When I came to drive home I reverted to my key and it wouldn't work. Earlier in the day the master tech was showing me how it all worked without a problem and I asked him whether the fact that he was using the spare key made any difference and he just shook his head. I think I'll make a phone call tomorrow morning and suggest I go over with my key and ask the question once again about the different keys. How interesting that your experience coincides exactly with mine. (Master Tech - my @rse!)

Reactions: BeagleKCH
Beagle - how did they set the dipping function on the main key? You say you drove round for a bit - so what did they do with the keys during that time? I can just see them claiming tomorrow that they don't know how to get the info on both keys and I don't want to be fobbed off with any half-***** excuses.

I can't tell you step by step. I was in the passenger seat whilst the tech was in the driver's seat. I imagine that he simply followed the procedure in the manual. I think that once the 'penny dropped' and he realised that he needed to set the mirror up for the main key, he set about doing just that. He may have fiddled about with the mirror knob to reset everything to zero. I just don't know. Once he got it stored on the main key, I then sat in the driver's seat and he helped me set the mirror dipping/return position to suit my seat position. I have been so relieved that it all works well now, that I haven't touched it since or driven it with the spare key. I have no doubt that you have the same issue as me. I believe that the manual says that the mirror dip is set on the key, which may be why I mentioned that the dealership always had the spare. Either that or I Googled it at the time, because I was so frustrated.

The story of the (non) dipping passenger mirror continues on a new thread, following this morning's developments.

Took me ages to type it out! I am so grateful for this forum. I joined when I got my 8V A3 and I learned so much that isn't in the owner's manual - and of course derived great amusement from posting and reading others' posts.

Good run out in the sunshine today. 70 mile drive around. Really enjoying the car it's a lovely place to be.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Reactions: gbrown
XmastreeA4

Now gives me extra reason to spend tomorrow cleaning it (outside is uber filthy from Festive feasting instead of car cleaning)...

Reactions: Dave70, Thundercliffe81 and Keef
Now that's why you buy an A4 Avant. Well, one reason anyway.

Reactions: NickGun and Thundercliffe81
View attachment 114144

Now gives me extra reason to spend tomorrow cleaning it (outside is uber filthy from Festive feasting instead of car cleaning)...

That's an extreme take on pine air freshner.

Reactions: TripleD, NickGun, Kestrel and 5 others
Made some modifications to the dog cage in mine today. It was rattling which was extremely annoying. Replaced some loose rivets on it with bolts so there no more rattles now, fingers crossed.

Also got myself a small foldable organiser I can put in the boot to keep bits and pieces in save them shooting around the boot.

Reactions: Keef
Where's the other end though? ;-)

:grinning: I have to confess to lopping the top couple of ft or so from the tree, otherwise it'd been touching the windscreen.

Reactions: cuke2u and Brasso
Not some much done in but done to:- Went from this horrid, uncared for, almost matte paint, filthy look...

IMG 2983

To this much shinier, now looking like a 2016 model B9 look...

IMG 1254

IMG 0540

Reactions: Dave70, iambu, cuke2u and 3 others
As soon as the weather gets cold they seem to throw tons of salt and grit at the roads. With the damper winter we've been having the cars are getting filthy in just one day..

As soon as the weather gets cold they seem to throw tons of salt and grit at the roads. With the damper winter we've been having the cars are getting filthy in just one day..

Yep it's a nightmare isn't it - but you've gotta bite the bullet and clean em I guess, I did the little car last week and its now filthy again (although not as bad as the A4 was).

Dread to think how bad the big car will look by this evening as my better half has a run to do in it today and rather predictably it was persisting it down when she left.

Hey ho, more buckets and microfibres at the weekend.

My S4 has gone in for a polish and ceramic coating today. I'm looking forward to seeing the results.

Reactions: Rob_F, Brasso and Keef
Yep it's a nightmare isn't it - but you've gotta bite the bullet and clean em I guess, I did the little car last week and its now filthy again (although not as bad as the A4 was).

Dread to think how bad the big car will look by this evening as my better half has a run to do in it today and rather predictably it was persisting it down when she left.

Hey ho, more buckets and microfibres at the weekend.
I'm not going to clean the loan car I've got, although I was tempted over the weekend. If I did it would be cleaner than what it was when they supplied it. If there is no chance of getting my car back this weekend then I might put it through a conveyor car wash. Its black so it should create some nice swirls ;-)

Reactions: Brasso
What you getting done @Grubb?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'm getting the outside done. The company were recommended by my Audi dealership as they do work for them and other local dealerships.

Bodywork Decontamination
Full paint enhancement
Ceramic application on bodywork, wheels + barrels, calipers and exhaust tips.

I'll try to get some pictures before it gets filthy on the drive home!

Reactions: Brasso, Keef and NickGun
I'm getting the outside done. The company were recommended by my Audi dealership as they do work for them and other local dealerships.

Bodywork Decontamination
Full paint enhancement
Ceramic application on bodywork, wheels + barrels, calipers and exhaust tips.

I'll try to get some pictures before it gets filthy on the drive home!

Be interested to see how this treatment holds up to current weather / conditions or more realistically how easy it is to clean again once it gets dirty - look forward to seeing pics :sunglasses:

Be interested to see how this treatment holds up to current weather / conditions or more realistically how easy it is to clean again once it gets dirty - look forward to seeing pics :sunglasses:
Likewise, am still very much umming and ahhing over protection for my Navarra. Until I get my hands on it I still dont quite believe its real!

Reactions: Brasso and Keef
Only ordered on Saturday, don't even have confirmation yet, but already provisionally book at my detailers for new car prep & protection! Had CQUK last time, not sure this time.

My S4 has gone in for a polish and ceramic coating today. I'm looking forward to seeing the results.
I don't have any pictures as of now but will try get some tomorrow. They needed to complete more correction than initially thought as under their lights more imperfections showed up.
But now the colour is just unbelievably bright. I looks so good I'm amazed.

Reactions: Keef
My car is covered by so much **** that the parking cameras no longer show anything. Needs a wash this weekend

Reactions: Brasso and Keef
Any of these detailers in Kent or Sussex? any recommendations on a good detailed would be appreciated.

I don't have any pictures as of now but will try get some tomorrow. They needed to complete more correction than initially thought as under their lights more imperfections showed up.
But now the colour is just unbelievably bright. I looks so good I'm amazed.
It got a little bit dirty but overall still looks good.

Attachments

• IMG_0657.JPG
    IMG_0657.JPG
    747.3 KB · Views: 376
  • IMG_0655.JPG
    IMG_0655.JPG
    927 KB · Views: 378
  • IMG_0659.JPG
    IMG_0659.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 426
  • IMG_0662.JPG
    IMG_0662.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 377
  • IMG_0661.JPG
    IMG_0661.JPG
    908.9 KB · Views: 359
Reactions: Colh, Brasso, Keef and 1 other person
That is such a gorgeous colour, I'd be very tempted to have that next time round (if it's an Audi, of course)

80 mile round trip to my Head office today. 30mpg on the way out on dual carriageways/ A roads. Didn't check on the way back as it was a back road blast but I suspect a lot less.

It continues to amaze me how much grip the S4 has. Really composed, very happy with the suspension set-up. Didn't look to filthy when I got it home either which is a bonus given the state of the roads at the moment.

Reactions: Keef and Grubb
Had planned to wash both cars this weekend but maybe the temp has put that to bed..

Attachments

• DSC_0321.JPG
    DSC_0321.JPG
    513.4 KB · Views: 322
It got to 2.0c so I considered it warm enough to wash and wax. The water from the hose froze on the road and pavement...

Washed mine today.
I'll do the inside trim, carpets, tailpipes, alloys, tyres, and a coat of BSD tomorrow.
It'll then be nice and clean...ready for the tractor muck on Monday!

Reactions: cuke2u
It got to 2.0c so I considered it warm enough to wash and wax. The water from the hose froze on the road and pavement...

I washed mine last week, and the snow foam was freezing on the car!