Problems... Problems... Problems...

dannyjb

Reaction score
Hi all, I have a couple of issues with the car so thought it would be easier to put it on one post and who ever can help me can pick an issue haha.

Firsty its a 2005 2.0tdi 140bhp model. Done 144k with full history.

Anyways first one:

When engine is idling, there is a weird/ horrible rattle sort of noise? not like a cam rattle.. but sounds like its coming from the alternator? when I rev the car it goes, and when I put the aircon on it goes for a little bit then comes back now and again. but when I turn aircon back off it rattles again? also cant hear this when driving along... any idea?

number 2:
Rear washer jet doesn't work, press the stalk and the pump makes a noise and the wiper moves but no water comes out?

number 3:
the cruise control has stopped working this was intermittent I don't do much motorway driving, but couple months ago I did an noticed it didn't work, anyways on the way home it start again. But now it has stopped altogether? any suggestions for this?

number 4:
now and again, I get notchy steering when driving slow and turning right (only seems to happen when turning right?)

number 5:
sometime...I can feel a clunk from under the car when I reverse? or have reversed and set off again only a slight knock? could this be arm bushes?

think that's it.. not too much to ask? haha

Any info would be appreciated on the problems...

Last edited:
1) Some cars have a centrifugal clutch on the aircon pump which rattles when knackered.

2) Maybe blocked nozzle on washer or pipe has come off nozzle.

3)When mine packed up it was my clutch switch that failed.

4)+5)Sound like they could be the same issue ideally jack car up and check the ball joints and bushes.

1) Some cars have a centrifugal clutch on the aircon pump which rattles when knackered.

2) Maybe blocked nozzle on washer or pipe has come off nozzle.

3)When mine packed up it was my clutch switch that failed.

4)+5)Sound like they could be the same issue ideally jack car up and check the ball joints and bushes.

Thanks for the reply.. I think it will be best to get this in a garage eh?? Are the aircon clutches expensive?

1) Almost certainly the one way clutch on the alternator, Needs a special tool to replace it.
2) Jets blocked or pipe has become detached somewhere. I would take the tailgate trim off and check to see if water is making it to the motor.
3) Check for fault codes with VCDS.
4) Check power steering fluid level, could be related to the alternator one way clutch which will cause issues with the drive belt.
5) Front brake pads may be loose in the pad guides.

yes ive seen it mentioned its a special tool for the one way clutch, will this be an expensive job In a garage then? no doubt be a front end off job. this is the more worrying job for me as I can tackle the other ones.. I think haha

no need to remove front end for clutch pulley just remove alternator easy job .buy new alternator pulley and take it to a garage or auto elec garage they will change it then fit alternator bk on

Is it the alternator pulley I need or aircon pump? Or both haha

the easy way to find out is take belt off and stick something in alternator to stop it turning and get hold of pulley and it should still turn one way if its stiff or wont turn then it needs a new one but it should freely move one way with alternator jammed

Reactions: dannyjb
Thanks I'll get it looked at this week I finish work tomorrow till January so I'll do that first.

Is it the alternator pulley I need or aircon pump? Or both haha
What i have done in the past to pinpoint a noise on a engine is place the blade end of a long screwdriver on what ithink is causing the noise and stick my ear to the end of the handle old school but it works.

The easiest way to test the clutch on the alternator is to put a small screwdriver through one of the gaps and see if the little fan just inside will either rotate one way or not at all.

3) in my bmw the cruise control wouldn't work when the temperature was low (safety feature?) Don't know if Audi is the same
4) check you antiroll linkages, I've replaced loads. Usually clunks when bumping up kerbs, normally the first suspension component to break/wear down