3.0 Tdi Quattro gearbox RIP

copterdoctor

Reaction score
Hey there, driving my car yesterday and when i pulled away from some lights there was a large jolt from under the car, felt like i'd hit or driven over something. Car was fine for about a mile, then started shuddering and changing gear randomly followed by the warning gearbox malfunction light (limited use you can continue driving). Luckily i was close to work so managed to limp it into the carpark, during the short drive the car was stuck in 2nd gear and nothing would allow me to change it, tiptronic/gear selector/manual select. I parked it up last night as we had an xmas do, and on looking this morning there is a large pool of yellow oil under the front of the car and the gearbox sounds rough as!

Recovery is on its way...and thoughts out there please, praying its not a new gearbox!!

Rare for a tiptronic to fail .

Bobby Singh is running 900Nm through his !

Nervous now, car has now left work and is on the way to my mates garage on a low loader.
Clearly the gearbox has not much oil left in it, as most is on the carpark floor, heres hoping its just an oil problem.

I don't know about being lucky that you were close to work. I would have stopped immediately.There was obviously something terminally wrong with the box and driving it in this way at any speed isn't going to help it. If you are sure you haven't driven over something that has damaged the gearbox sump or transmission cooler pipes and caused a major fluid leak it sounds like some kind of catastrophic failure in the box.
If there has been a failure in the box then I would say just get a good second hand item.

thanks desertstorm, like i said the trip was short, about half a mile in second gear. I am not sure about whether i hit something, all i know is there was a thud/jolt as i pulled away from some lights which kind of started the chain of events. Oh well, car is at the garage now so will find out the bill soon enough!

Two schools of thought here since you have lost the oil. Cause depends on the orifice :whistle2:that the oil has exited
1. Broken/damaged hose, oil has leaked out causing gearbox to fail. Potentially repairable depending on damage done when limping to work
2. Something internal causing oil to be spewed out of dipstick/filler or core plug (if fitted). Potentially new gearbox territory
I hope for your sake that it's the first option, tiptronics are supposed to be pretty reliable so that is more likely depending on mileage and service history of the box.

Tiptronic or stronic gearbox??

Lol , you mentioned tiptronic in your original post.

Well if it's S cronic the most complained about box on here...

If it's a new box it's a £ 10K job .

Any news from the garage? Hopefully it's not as serious as a new box.
The stronic's do have their issues unfortunately but a full replacement is rare as the mechatronics and clutch packs are the usual failure. Worryng thing in yours is that its lost its oil which I've never heard of before so either an internal mechanical failure or something external has hit it. One other possibility is that the box has an external oil cooler so one of the pipes could have burst as they do corrode.

Fingers crossed for you buddy

Shak

Just found out from Audi that the previous owner only had the s tronic oil changed once, at 58000 miles....

What's the current mileage??

Not this shit again

Reactions: AudiLeon, Pricy and copterdoctor
107000 . I bought at 97000 and assumed it was the same as my old BMW, sealed and not changed.
Expensive error, although damage probably already done, I'm a bit annoyed Audi didn't insist it was done previous, as the SH is 100% done at the same Audi garage

Oh dear , one very late service and one very over due interval .

The previous owner has had the luck of the devil .

Reactions: copterdoctor
A glimmer of hope, garage found the filter housing cracked and visible signs of large leak.... Fingers crossed this was the problem

Yeh it's imperative the gearbox gets serviced correctly but I suppose you know that now.
Fingers crossed the leak from the filter housing is the only issue. Sounds promising though

Shak

It appears the cracked housing was the problem, all flushed and topped up again with now apparent damage....£250 bargain!!

Reactions: AudiLeon, skiptowncat, ruairi83 and 2 others
That's brilliant news!!! I bet you're relieved with the out come. Did they say what caused the crack??

That price is a bargain considering you've also had the oil changed too. Good for another 38k

Shak

It appears the cracked housing was the problem, all flushed and topped up again with now apparent damage....£250 bargain!!
Good news. A timely reminder for the future, though. Never assume a dealer will have done a previous owner's thinking for them.

Reactions: scotty76
Good news. A timely reminder for the future, though. Never assume a dealer will have done a previous owner's thinking for them.
Agreed but it's annoying how many dealers are shrugging their way out of this ("you didn't know it was 38k miles, oh well, sorry can't help"). Very annoying. :(

Hey guys, hope you all had a great Christmas, just a quick question please....The car has been good since the filter housing change and oil replacement, however I have noticed at low speeds and when changing between 1st and 2nd either up or down there is a slight vibration/rumble for a split second, every other change is spot-on. It may have been there prior to the issues I had and now I've noticed because I'm hyper cautious. Just wondered if anyone had any similar symptoms/experiences. It's booked into Audi next week for a full diagnostic, trying to not drive unless necessary.

Cheers guys

The latest installment in this saga, car went to dealer today for full diagnostic, to cut a long story short it appears the garage who repaired the filter housing filled the s tronic part with the incorrect fluid.
Spoke to the garage and they said they ordered the filter and the associated gearbox fluid, having seen the invoice for this it is definitely the wrong part number ordered..... They are blaming Audi, who in turn are saying the garage it's at fault.
Luckily I've only done minimal mileage (5) since the wrong oil fill, the garage are flushing and filling with the correct oil tomorrow.
Fingers crossed the judder has vanished or I will have to take this further

The latest installment in this saga, car went to dealer today for full diagnostic, to cut a long story short it appears the garage who repaired the filter housing filled the s tronic part with the incorrect fluid.
Spoke to the garage and they said they ordered the filter and the associated gearbox fluid, having seen the invoice for this it is definitely the wrong part number ordered..... They are blaming Audi, who in turn are saying the garage it's at fault.
Luckily I've only done minimal mileage (5) since the wrong oil fill, the garage are flushing and filling with the correct oil tomorrow.
Fingers crossed the judder has vanished or I will have to take this further
Oh, this is starting to get messy, isn't it? The garage that did the incorrect oil fill is accountable to you for its error, end of story. If it wants to kick back against the dealer that supplied the oil afterwards, that's between it and the dealer, but that needn't affect you in any way.