Facelift Traction Control too obtrusive?

James Cole

Reaction score
Hello Guys...

Just got an S3 and noticed something that had never occurred to me in another car... traction control kicks in some times when driving slowly with not much throttle input in a straight line, its a PIA because the car bogs down completely... Like if going trough a small very very slippery oil patch only that there is isnt one and I don't feel any slip at all its almost like if the car made the "slip" up.

ISNT THIS A ******* QUATTRO?

Is there a way to reprogram the car via VCDS to be more "liberal" and maybe set the threshold a bit higher?

Car has 500 miles btw and when fully using the power on a straight line or turns I get no "intervention" from it, at all.

Thanks for your help,
JC

Reactions: AudiNutta and pburv
I doubt that it is something you can tune. However, you can turn it off. Not something I would be doing on a regular basis though.

Reactions: pburv
Hello Guys...

Just got an S3 and noticed something that had never occurred to me in another car... traction control kicks in some times when driving slowly with not much throttle input in a straight line, its a PIA because the car bogs down completely... Like if going trough a small very very slippery oil patch only that there is isnt one and I don't feel any slip at all its almost like if the car made the "slip" up.

Is there a way to reprogram the car via VCDS to be more "liberal" and maybe set the threshold a bit higher?

Car has 500 miles btw and when fully using the power on a straight line or turns I get no "intervention" from it, at all.

Thanks for your help,
JC
Could be a fault with the haldex pump...Mention it to your dealers service desk?
Similar thread on going here....
http://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threads/s3-wheelspin.295474/

Reactions: Rob2k68
Hello Guys...

Thanks for your help,
JC

Mine is doing exactly the same thing, as you say you don't even need full throttle and the car bogs down with the traction control light flashing like mad.

I have to turn onto a busy dual carriageway with no slip road so I am now just turning the traction control off to make sure I can accelerate.

Maybe time to start hitting the dealers to get a few logged on the system.

At the moment they will probably blame it on the cold conditions but I have now winter tyres on and it makes no difference.
Turn the traction control off and in the same conditions there is no wheelspin and the car just takes off.

It would be interesting if you could get a scan of your car or look underneath to see what version of the haldex controller you have as there seem to be a few different ones about.

Mine is:

0CQ 907 554 C
HW Version H52
SW Version 7755

Last edited:
Mine does it too, ALL the time! If I plan to make a spirotied acceleration I always have to put the TC into Sport.. such a pain!!

Must be something different with these cars.... with the TC off, it's never once lost traction.

Ive noticed it in mine. I just turn the driving aids off.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Reactions: RSS-S3, pburv and AudiNutta
The only time mine has ever come on was coming off a raised section of a cycle crossing when turning into a junction. Other than that I've never noticed it come on or cut the engine power even during spirited driving and enjoying the grip coming out of corners in dynamic mode.

The only time mine has ever come on was coming off a raised section of a cycle crossing when turning into a junction. Other than that I've never noticed it come on or cut the engine power even during spirited driving and enjoying the grip coming out of corners in dynamic mode.

Hm, I am starting to think these cars have problems....

I think the TC is programmed to agressively... maybe there will be a software update for it?

Facelift... tut tut....lol Av never had anything like this,my car pulls like a train from the off,never had the traction control kick in, in over 19k miles

Reactions: Rob2k68, Audi Bairn, pburv and 1 other person
Yes the FL that I have never "works" the TC when full accell or pushing it... only when driving like a granny! Wtf?

Facelift... tut tut....lol Av never had anything like this,my car pulls like a train from the off,never had the traction control kick in, in over 19k miles
Despite a number of fairly spirited 'Italian tun-up's', I never once had it on the loan car. Nor have I seen it in my facelift car. I always suspected that people complaining about this must be driving like ham fisted gibbons, but there's been a fair few threads about this of late, so perhaps some cars do have a problem...

Reactions: SJ43, Rob2k68, Audi Bairn and 2 others
Despite a number of fairly spirited 'Italian tun-up's', I never once had it on the loan car. Nor have I seen it in my facelift car. I always suspected that people complaining about this must be driving like ham fisted gibbons, but there's been a fair few threads about this of late, so perhaps some cars do have a problem...
Clearly there seems to be a pattern forming ...
Ham fisted gibbons?......Really Grant.....Lol :hopelessness:

Reactions: Rob2k68, GSB, DrEskimo and 1 other person
Clearly there seems to be a pattern forming ...
Ham fisted gibbons?......Really Grant.....Lol :hopelessness:
Maybees mate l have been driving in really horrendous conditions of late on terrible rural roads in the morning covered in grit and ice and the traction control never comes on,if the traction control is becoming too intrusive
..then the drivers are being far far too aggressive with the car

Reactions: richinsoton, Rob2k68 and pburv
Maybees mate l have been driving in really horrendous conditions of late on terrible rural roads in the morning covered in grit and ice and the traction control never comes on,if the traction control is becoming too intrusive
..then the drivers are being far far too aggressive with the car

It's 100% not aggression, get a FL S3 on loan for a day... any kind of acceleration from low speed seems to set it off, I'm talking 20mph and anything heavy enough to cause a kick down (in manual or automatic).. really annoying! I'm just in the habit now of the TC in Sport if I plan on making progress. What's strange is I've never had it while driving on the ragged edge, just at low speeds.

Reactions: Rob2k68, Jassyo06 and pburv
From one gibbon to another, its nothing to do with driving style, ive spotted this in the mid range, low down the revs and in 3rd and 4th. I didnt realise baby monkeys could drive?

Reactions: Rob2k68, Jassyo06, AudiNutta and 1 other person
This really made me laugh
I turn all driving aids off to drive like a gibbon

Reactions: Rob2k68, Jassyo06, GSB and 1 other person
It's 100% not aggression, get a FL S3 on loan for a day... any kind of acceleration from low speed seems to set it off, I'm talking 20mph and anything heavy enough to cause a kick down (in manual or automatic).. really annoying! I'm just in the habit now of the TC in Sport if I plan on making progress. What's strange is I've never had it while driving on the ragged edge, just at low speeds.

Sport...mandatory....as l said it must be a face lift thing mate....as Audi have jiggered about with it

Reactions: Rob2k68, AudiNutta and pburv
Anyone noticed this on the Saloon or is just the hatch/sportbacks?

Reactions: Rob2k68 and pburv
Hmmmmmm interesting thread, think it is something I will keep an eye on that's for sure. My old car had no traction control at all, so I am sure I will notice it pretty easily!

First post. My FL S3 has just done 1000 miles and cannot say I have experienced anything accelerating. However over bumps and dips the traction control kicks in very aggressively but I am aware of it now so ready for it. Have only seen the light flash a couple of times and that was on frost.

The roads have been awful since I got the car and I have been impressed with grip available. However on the brakes it was all over the place until recently when everything finally bedded in.

I was intrigued at your 'ham fisted gibbons' remark (very funny by the way)...So yesterday I decided to put it to the test.So from standstill I stomped my foot on the pedal and gave it some...Needless to say there was no sign of the traction kicking in at all....
So my guess is there are issues related to the haldex pump.If any of you who have it fitted and are experiencing too much traction control intervention then I suggest you contact your dealer..:friends:
latest

Reactions: Craig Cull, GSB, Richierich37 and 5 others
Think I've said this in the other thread but if you're TC light goes mental when pulling away in the first few gears with maybe only 30% throttle on a dry road with the wheels pointing forward then get it checked out.

I've had Haldex issues and the difference with it working is now night and day, now it just hankers down and gets on with it no spinning or TC intervention at all and you can actually feel yourself being pushed along. I also changed to a later revision Haldex ECU just for good measure but the pump is generally the first port of call. If you have VCDS it should flag some error codes.

Reactions: AudiNutta and pburv
Not had anything remotely similar happen in mine, I think I've only seen the TC light come on once or twice.

Reactions: pburv and Rob2k68
Starting to get a little concerned for some of our cars now, who's going to audi first? ;) Mine hates me ;)

Reactions: Richierich37, Rob2k68 and pburv
Starting to get a little concerned for some of our cars now, who's going to audi first? ;) Mine hates me ;)
Allready had my pump replaced a couple of weeks ago. ha ha
My garage likes me.......Or is it my money ?

Reactions: Martinbanshee, AudiNutta, Jassyo06 and 1 other person
I am on around 1000k miles an never really see the TC light on unless I go mad in the wet. Something not right.

New thread with FL issues maybe ?? then we can all hit the dealers lol (not literally)

I have a couple of funny things going on

I was intrigued at your 'ham fisted gibbons' remark (very funny by the way)...So yesterday I decided to put it to the test.So from standstill I stomped my foot on the pedal and gave it some...Needless to say there was no sign of the traction kicking in at all....
So my guess is there are issues related to the haldex pump.If any of you who have it fitted and are experiencing too much traction control intervention then I suggest you contact your dealer..:friends:
latest

Mine from a standstill is fine, no drama just takes off.
It seems to be when in 2nd/3rd at lowish revs, then give it some, not even full throttle and it actually feels as if the car is slowing down, TC light flashing and then eventually it starts to accelerate.
Meanwhile the tricked up 306 with the blackened bumper has just gone past :sorrow:

Reactions: pburv, Rob2k68 and AudiNutta
Allready had my pump replaced a couple of weeks ago. ha ha
My garage likes me.......Or is it my money ?

I think the money might influence it ;)

I think they are fed up of driving my cars, mainly for interior rattles as I swear Audi forgot how to build interiors the day they built my old A3 but as expected it very rarely rattled on test drive, sorted most out off my own back in the end.

They have driven the S3 once for the notorious seatbelt tensioner rattles. I think they see a bit of 'boy cries wolf' haha, so I really think I would get nowhere unless I can provide evidence of other cars having the issue. Maybe I will try a different dealer, but would expect them to go back to the more local supplying dealer.

Reactions: pburv and Rob2k68
It seems to be when in 2nd/3rd at lowish revs, then give it some, not even full throttle and it actually feels as if the car is slowing down, TC light flashing and then eventually it starts to accelerate.
Meanwhile the tricked up 306 with the blackened bumper has just gone past :sorrow:

Exactly the problem!! Definitely something up if half the cars don't have this, I wonder if they have two suppliers of the haldex system :p

Really don't want to leave my car at the dealer however with permission to go and drive it quickly until the light comes on. I had it this morning, twice on an 8 mile trip. Dry conditions, 20-30mph, in manual 2nd gear and the TC kicked in before any boost had chance to build.

Reactions: pburv, Rob2k68 and mikemod
Lol...How can you live with the shame...

Yea noticed that as well, boost guage at zero with TC light flashing but maybe it's the TC preventing the boost from building as it is restricting power.

Have a FL saloon S3 and never experienced any TC kicking in. Thing handles like it's on rails and pick up from standstill is immense. I even tried it last week when it was -5 on a white side road and it still just gripped and went.

Reactions: Jassyo06, pburv, Rob2k68 and 1 other person
Have a FL saloon S3 and never experienced any TC kicking in. Thing handles like it's on rails and pick up from standstill is immense. I even tried it last week when it was -5 on a white side road and it still just gripped and went.
No problems with your haldex then......
4338.gif

Reactions: BMB - 77 and Rob2k68
You can change how aggressive this is with vcd. Look for the "starting vibration" adaptation and change it or disable if the option is there (think disabling is only on fwd/gti). This decreases throttle response in most situations. Or just hold down the traction control button and turn it all off.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Must just be them south of the border S3 drivers... that can't drive properly lol

Reactions: BMB - 77, pburv and Rob2k68