global warming

amb276s3

bird spotter
Reaction score
is this just a load of ******** or do people actually care, i for one will not recycle, why should i, i pay my council tax let them sort through my crap, i would rather have a very smoky bonfire than bother washing out containers etc, i never check the emission levels on any vehicle i intend to purchase, seems pointless when there are busses which kick out loads of black ****, everything electrical is on standby in my house thats what standby is for isnt it, and this warming business isnt that just down to the earths orbit slowly getting closer and closer to the sun.
am i missing the point, educate me, be as offensive as you wish, i will show a stiff upper lip

I totally agree with you on this one. I can't say that car emissions are on my mind at all when purchasing a car, neither is how much of our precious fossil fuels it is going to burn on the way to tesco.
Recycling isnt exactly a clean process either. There is a recycling plant near me that is constantly kicking out plumes of black smoke.
Taxing people more for driving larger cars isnt going to stop them. Most will begrudgingly pay, where as others will try their hardest to get away without paying, as is seen everyday with uninsured drivers and non-tax payers. Its just another revenue making excercise.

Not sure about us orbiting closer to the sun, havent heard that argument before, but the climate has always been changing. We didn't just thaw out of that block of ice over night, and there was no electricity, cars or factories pushing out noxious gasses back the was there?!?

If it is going to happen, it is going to happen. Yes, we could slow it down by using electric cars and light bulbs that produce no more light than a passing fire-fly, but at the end of the day, nothing lasts forever and this world will come to an end one day, even if we stopped doing everything that causes the pollution.

And yes, my next car will be kicking out high emissions and doing about 18 miles to the gallon.....

who cares????

amb276s3 said:
is this just a load of ******** or do people actually care, i for one will not recycle, why should i, i pay my council tax let them sort through my crap, i would rather have a very smoky bonfire than bother washing out containers etc, i never check the emission levels on any vehicle i intend to purchase, seems pointless when there are busses which kick out loads of black ****, everything electrical is on standby in my house thats what standby is for isnt it, and this warming business isnt that just down to the earths orbit slowly getting closer and closer to the sun.
am i missing the point, educate me, be as offensive as you wish, i will show a stiff upper lip

Recycling is good, put a deposit on cans and bottles and the streets stay remarkably clean, yeah its annoying at first but after a while you get used to it, in Germany you have about 4 bins in the house and the bin with stuff that cant be recycled is tiny and rarely filled.

Anyway doesnt really matter what we do, India, Russia and China will finish off the planet in the next 100 years.

If a lot of people do not look after the environment by recycling.. blah-de-blah.., then the possibility of any future or survival for your or anybody elses children/grand-children/future generations etc is low.. because of the environmental damage..

I think the green-peace/environmental people want people to live..

unkle said:
Anyway doesnt really matter what we do, India, Russia and China will finish off the planet in the next 100 years.
You beat me to it. Absolutely spot on. Carbon emissions, the burning of fossil fuels and consumption of everything the world makes; the big three will screw it all up for us.

But for the record, I always use the recycling bins our council provides. They collect paper, glass and garden waste - if they could do one for plastics, I'd never throw anything away I don't think.

ardandy said:
So should I stop guffing?

I'd Say so...for all our sakes.. :fart::faint:

I have a mate that works in a whiskey bond, I could ask him for a "Bung/Cork" if that will help...:doctor: :thumbsup:

It's tough this one. I did an interesting module at Uni called sustainability (it seems to be the latest buzz word now) and if you look at things from a life cycle analysis (cradle to grave) you get some interesting things...

Incineration with power generation = very good
landfill = bad
recycling plastics = very bad
recycling paper, glass, cans = good

Basically, because the government want to seem good but can't be ***** to resource it properly we're left with little piddly recycling centres that are inefficient, with the emissions of getting stuff there phenomenal. The only ones with a demonstrable benefit are glass, cans and paper. You need to use a milk bottle about 100 times to make it better than using a carton, because of the environmental effects of cleaning it etc.

The planet has gone through these cycles before, and apparently we're due a big cold snap anyway, with a long ice age. The evolution of the planet depends on it, so you could think we are actually doing something to preserve our way of life by heating up the earth to keep the ice at bay.

It all comes down to peoples perception. Take the Brent Spar (big oil rig that was due to be sunk but greenpeace kicked up a fuss). Life cycle analysis has shown that the best thing to do was sink it, not bring in to shore and cut it up. Do you hear green peace talking about that? The state of Pennsylvania estimates that they get as much oil as was released by the Exxon Valdez down their normal drain system every month.

All the behaviour is too entrenched now. If they want to change the world, they can go live in the forest, when we had a life expectancy of 30.

Can't tell I work for an oil company, can you ;)

Mike

this is a little tough, on the one hand you can say well here in the UK we aren't really contributing to the problem in the way the US, Russia, China, India and even most of Europe but there is no reason not to do what you can and by that I dont mean drive an electric car, recycling is easy and does help, not so much in a global warming way but in a "how close is the nearest landfill" kinda way. As for the global warming issue there does seem to be a weight of evidence tosupport this but dont forget they were writing in the 70's about how the planet was cooling. The recent "Stern" report ASSUMES we are the cause of global warming to establish a financial model in order to estimate cost in a financial way of doing something now or paying up later. It does not state we ARE the cause it just says if we are we must act now or pay later and pay more.
Interesting thing is if we are the cause we will see the **** really hit the fan in OUR lifetime because whatever needs doing (assuming it is us of course) won't be done. The rate of growth in China will be replicated 5-10 years down the line in India this rollercoster of development will spew out so many more of the harmful emmisions the sceintists site as harmful. If we stop them what will that look like "Oh now that we are already developed it apears it's harmful, sorry guys you'll have to put up with the mud huts etc...."

if we get really hot summers and mild winters im all for global warming, bring back cfcs now