Xenon Bulbs

joe6886

Reaction score
What actually happens when these blow? Do they just run out of Gas or something? One of mine went last night, anyone changed one of these on an S3 before? Hoping it won't be a ******* of a job.

I think it's just like other bulbs in that the filament burns out. I guess in some cases the igniter can fail; but there's probably a larger chance it's the bulb.

It shouldn't be too much of a pain to swap - only as tricky as a standard halogen bulb really. I've not tried myself, but when I fitted mine it looked like it was the same type of 'twist-and-pull-out' action to remove. There's reasonable access to them once you've removed the cover.

There are other places to get bulbs, but www.hids4u.co.uk seem to have reasonable prices; and when I bought some LED sidelights from them (which I lost before fittting :() their service seemed pretty no-nonsense. Unless I'm very much mistaken you need a D2S fitment bulb...

Regards,

Rob.

EDIT: If you're looking at hids4u.co.uk there is a page listing HID Xenon bulbs, and also a page for HID Xenon Upgrade bulbs; the former lists 4300K bulbs (around the same colour temperature as the OEM bulbs); and the latter has 6000K bulbs (more like the 'bluer' light that comes out of Mercs and late model BMWs). Of course if you want OEM temperature it might be worth PM'ing me - we could come to some arrangement as I'm probably about to buy some 6000K ones...

I work at a garage anyway so can get them trade price from Audi, was just wondering if anyone has done one before as changing bulbs is no longer a 30 second job on most cars nowadays.

TBH I'd guess that trade price from Audi will still be at least double what HIDS4U or a similar outfit would want... I don't know how much this has changed, or if there's different pricing for different models (but I guess not as it was still a D2S); but they had about £120 off a mate of mine for a single bulb last year...

No doubt you'll be able to get them trade price from somewhere else though; in which case as said you're just after something around 4300K and in D2S fitment...

Regards,

Rob.

Yeah I should imagine I could find one cheaper somewhere, will have a ring around tomorrow. Thanks for your help.

The most likely culprit of a blown xenon is the ballast, not the bulb. There is no filament in a xenon bulb...It ignites the gas.

Will have a look at that Rich, any way to tell if its that and no the bulb? As said spoke to Audi today and they want £100 for the bulb alone, and other places are £70ish.

That site has what I think is the right bulb for £50 so will be getting from them I think, can someone confirm this is the right bulb please?
http://www.hids4u.co.uk/product_details.asp?id=22

Yep that's the correct fitment.

Didn't realise there was no filament at all... I thought there was still something of that sort in there that gets it all going... You live and learn.

Also, best way to check whether it's the igniter or not... Swap your bulbs around :)

Regards,

Rob.

Just been out and checked and yes that is the correct fitment, thanks Factionone. The fuse had also blown but I swapped one and still nothing, the bulb had a bit of debris and looked a bit frazzled so looks like i'll have to bite the bullet and get one bought. £50 is a good price though, considering cheapest we can get them through work is £70.

There is no filament, just and arc that jumps across two electrodes, obviously if the new bulb blows there could be a problem with your voltage regulator (ballast)..

Its not the bulb, just changed it now. Anoymore info on these ballast things? Looks like it'll be a tricky job to change one, anyone done one of these?

There's a simpler (and cheaper) way of diagnosing a blown bulb or ballast.
Swap the bulbs from side to side. If the problem moves to the other side, the bulb is the problem. If it stays, it's the ballast.

Wish I had now but the old bulb was looking a bit nackered but obviously it was'nt as i've tried a new bulb. So about these ballast things, been reading that you can't get them seperate? Surely does'nt mean I need a full new light unit?

Its v.unusual for a xenon bulb to go, mine went a bit funny, the o/s lamp kept going on and off, they changed the igniter pack, it still did it.
Then they changed the lamp, and tried to charge me for it but i was having none of it, i got it for free.

The xenon bulb system is supposed to outlive the car itself.

Was your car out of warranty when you had this done A4Quattro? Mine is out of warranty now and its sounding like its gona need a new lamp :(

Bah!

Gutted to hear it wasn't just the bulb; I thought you'd swapped over o/s, n/s after I mentioned and then you said you were going to buy a new one.

Anyway, it might be worth speaking to the chap at hids4u before you go for a whole new lamp as that will be pretty costly, and he does do the odd replacement part such as ballasts/igniters etc. - it's got to be worth a quick email?

Regards,

Rob.

Not as gutted as me matey, £50 is ok and the bulb will come in useful at some point I should imagine. Yeah will try emailing them see if they have anything, apparantly you can't get the ballast off the light unit though, I have read somewhere.

Never mind will have to get on the lookout for a headlight, thanks for your help.

Problem is now sorted, got a new ballast fitted and they are fixed now. Anyone who has any Xenon problems speak to the guys at hids4u.co.uk. Really helpful and friendly people who know their stuff. They supplied me with a new ballast for £125, these cost £325 from Audi.

If a ballast goes its not a new headlamp job you can just replace it which I have done today, everywhere I read said it would be a new lamp unit.

This should be put in the FAQ's as I struggled to find a definative answer.

I am looking to do the same thing as you Joe, hope its a straight forward job once ive took to bumper off...?