3.2 tt quatro

Lex

Reaction score
is my car really this fast?

my friends dad was driving his 3.2 tt quatro and he just didnt have that much of an edge on me, he was faster but you would expect a 3.2 quattro tt to be far more noticeably quicker, and he did say ihe was gunning it.

my car only has a rough 180-190 bhp, i dont kno his figures(standard though)

lex

p.s we were NOT racing, i was following him to a shared destination and he just happend to floor it and i had to follow becuase of a crap sense of direction.

p.s.s no speed limit was broken

is my car really this fast?

my friends dad was driving his 3.2 tt quatro and he just didnt have that much of an edge on me, he was faster but you would expect a 3.2 quattro tt to be far more noticeably quicker, and he did say ihe was gunning it.

my car only has a rough 180-190 bhp, i dont kno his figures(standard though)

lex

p.s we were NOT racing, i was following him to a shared destination and he just happend to floor it and i had to follow becuase of a crap sense of direction.

p.s.s no speed limit was broken

The 3.2 would have the edge over a distance and at higher speeds.

At lower speeds and when thinking of mid-range torque,the diesel will be surprisingly close.

I've owned both,and was a little surprised at times by how close the diesel would be,but the 3.2 does sound lovely,and drives well once you get it going.

People often think that because their car has 20bhp more/less than another car it will be significantly faster / slower.

After 15 years and spending tens of thousands of pounds on modifications, some of which were next to useless I can't state clearly enough:

1) You can give the same car to a different driver and they can extract more from it than any mod if they are a naturally gifted driver

2) Straight line drags whilst offering a bragging right don't tell a comprehensive story of a cars overall ability at all. All you are using is power and torque. No steering, no braking, very little suspension set up ability. Put a car in the twisties and a car that seemed as quick can be literally massacred.

3) People SERIOUSLY underestimate how much extra power is required to pull serious distance on another car when talking 200PS+. You read threads all day long about how people in a £20k XXX kept up with an Aston/Porker.... Whilst these drivers in the richman cars are probably driving with something in reserve (they may also be crap drivers), it proves a moderately modified hot hatch can hang on to the skirt tales of something exotic in the hands of a skilled driver. I am always hugely skeptical when someone comes on a forum saying they whipped a car of similar spec as it's just not true. There are more factors to a car being quick than BHP or Lb/ft. Weight, aerodynamics (ever felt the wall of aerodynamic resistance some cars hit at 3 figure speeds - around 120mph in the average blunt nose hatchback?? - you need serious power to just ride through that). Then there is nerve, driver ability ..... the list goes on.

The TDi's are very competant cars, so I wouldn't be surprised at all that you faired so well. A well set up diesel (BMW 335D springs to mind) can shame many top tree petrol turbos (S3 springs to mind).

And at the end of the day you are getting 40mpg+, so I'd be pretty pleased if I were you!

Yep!! Been there done that got the tee shirt!! It took the most powerful of the old cars I've had, 2, 300+/300+ Evo's To put any dent in a decently driven hot hatch including diesels on the straight and narrow. Soon as we hit the twisties though it was goodnight vienna!!! They didn't know what county I'd gone to... Also traffic light grad prix's did put an indecent ammount of road between us!!
regartds
dave

Yep!! Been there done that got the tee shirt!! It took the most powerful of the old cars I've had, 2, 300+/300+ Evo's To put any dent in a decently driven hot hatch including diesels on the straight and narrow. Soon as we hit the twisties though it was goodnight vienna!!! They didn't know what county I'd gone to... Also traffic light grad prix's did put an indecent ammount of road between us!!
regartds
dave

Very good point Dave, a rolling drag is far harder to pull any distance on than a standing start. I get sick and tired of people very often in TDi's trying to prove a point. Yes they can keep in touch on a motorway drag (50-xx), but put them from a standing start and it is 'thankyou and goodbye'!! I had someone just like this the other week in a Honda CRV diesel. Constantly trying to stick to my ar$e, then come a set of traffic lights and it was laughable. When he eventually caught back up his ego was so dented he starts blowing the horn and waving ****** gestures etc.. There's a word for him, but I wont dignify it on here.

im just saying i am suprised at how my car fared against the obviously fast car.

I think it can be a surprise, and actually despite quoted headline figures, some fast cars aren't actually that much faster than a good diesel.

For fear of the aftermath that this statement will inevitably generate, although I respect the VW 3.2 V6 for being a fairly compact, and a well powered V6 (although you could say 250PS isn't that powerful against Nissans 306bhp 350Z), when you bolt it to a Haldex system which creates a transmission loss factor, I don't think it is a very fast car. Of course it is 'quick', but only a match for a remapped modern diesel within normal driving limits. The V6's strengths are more apparent out of legal limits, hence why many opt for the 2.0T route.

true, we wernt driving at excessive speeds which if we were i sure he would have a much larger lead, but from 1st nearly a standing start all the way to 60 i had no problem keeping up, if we were to carry on i have no doubt that he would have been a fair bit ahead but both being members of IAM we wouldn't do anything more.

he said he would like to actually race me on a private track sometime but we need to find somewhere first.

I think you would do fine. Just watch your brakes as the diesels are slightly nose heavy and I find when used in the extreme you can overcook your brakes in no time (I warped the wifes Ibiza TDi FR brakes!). Other than that he will only really pull daylight on long straights where you can hit 3 figure plus speeds.