3.0TDI Remap / EGR Blank

LukeyC

Reaction score
Hi guys,

So I've contacted a couple of companies about remap options APR (through RE Performance in Swindon) and Quantum tuning through VW Services in Bedminster, Bristol.

I had an email this morning from a Quantum mechanic that I shouldn't have the EGR blanked / mapped out in software, as this will also disable the DPF regeneration - can anyone tell me of this is true?

I think the DPF accidently fell off my alfa when I had that remapped (Italian build quality) and it would spew smoke at full boost like you wouldn't believe! In no way do I want to remove the DPF on this car, but I really want that 300+ bhp and don't like the idea of sooty exhaust gas going back through my engine.

Also, does anyone have any experience of another mapping company I should consider?

Thanks!

Luke.

Sent from my SM-T710 using Tapatalk

Yeh I was hoping one of those guys would spy it and chime in! With some knowledge..!

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

You can get a completely smokeless 300+ bhp without a DPF. Rick at Unicorn Motor Developments who mapped my car may be a little out of the way for you in Stockport Near Manchester but he is very good.
If you have a look at the build thread for my car there are several pictures of it going up the strip with no smoke at all. This is of course flat out.
You don't have to have smoke out the back of a diesel to get performance.
Karls 3.0 TDI build thread
As for disabling the EGR stopping regens I am not sure on that. You would know within a few weeks if that was the case because the DPF would start to present a lot of back pressure.

Reactions: V6 Quatt
Thanks Desertstorm.

I also want to retain the DPF because I don't want to have to worry about any more "special" MOTs, especially in the future if the regulations are tightened up, which is more than a distinct possibility.

If I upgrade my intercooler, but get a stock map put on I'm not really reaping the benefits of the additional hardware am I?

I'd need to go with a custom map, maybe get a larger downpipe or something while I'm at it. Tbh i don't fully understand what all the pipework connects up to underneath the bonnet!

There won't be any difference in a map that is done for a car with or without a modified intercooler.
An uprated intercooler fitted to a standard car will improve the performance slightly especially when it's hot as it is at the moment. The larger core means it can disspate heat a lot better and the pressure loss across the core will be lower, so the turbo doesn't need to work as hard to produce the same pressure. When you map the car the increase in heat generation from more boost and the higher air flow rates make the effect of a better intercooler more pronounced.
The standard exhaust pipe sizes are fine for a remapped car,If you keep the DPF this with the cat will be the largest restriction in the exhaust, the pressure drop in the rest of the system will be small.

Reactions: LukeyC
Fantastic, thanks a lot.

In which case I might leave the intercooler. I don't really go for prolonged periods of hard driving - just a few fleeting pulls here and there, although I guess if the turbo isn't working as hard and the reduced pressure loss might mean a little less lag between WOT applications?

Reactions: V6 Quatt
Tuning should be the last step after all the hardware changes you want to make.
So I would fit the intercooler first - EDC17 is really good at governing boost so you may not require N75 adjustment however I would fit the intercooler first anyway.

Smoke only occurs when air and fuel are not balanced so smokefree power is not a issue if tuned correctly. A lot of duration mapping out there (global fuel increase) cheap way of getting power.

Here is the difference between the stock intercooler and wagner :

You can measure dpf back pressure and if its not in the 500 to 600mbar range then you will have no problem to make ~320hp/720nm

Cheers

Reactions: Paul @ Unit 9 Remaps, V6 Quatt and LukeyC
Thanks for the help guys, I've booked in with JW motorsport for Saturday who will be writing me a custom map for both engine and gearbox.

I was going to go with MTM for the engine map, but after a long chat with Rob it makes sense they write both to compliment each other.

Will keep you posted.

Luke