EGR blank or software disable?

KudoWarrior

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I've read up about being able to just disable the egr valve from opening via a software change, would that give the same performance outcome as blanking it off and if not does anyone have a guide to blanking off the egr (not deleting) on an A4 B8.5 2.0 TDI?

Thanks again guys.

I don't know if it's the same with the Audi - but when doing this on my Land Rover, the only beneficial way was to blank it off.
On the LR you could unplug the EGR which disables it - but you are then left with a restriction in the system (i.e the valve). So of course, the only way to remove this restriction is to remove the valve and blank it.

I don't know if it's the same with the Audi - but when doing this on my Land Rover, the only beneficial way was to blank it off.
On the LR you could unplug the EGR which disables it - but you are then left with a restriction in the system (i.e the valve). So of course, the only way to remove this restriction is to remove the valve and blank it.
Cheers Jetty.
I thought as much. I want to blank it myself but then I'd also like to see the performance difference of doing so which I can't do without a rolling road.

Does anyone know which size I'd need for my car?
http://www.darksidedevelopments.co.uk/products/egr-blanking-plate-for-turbo-egr-port.html

Surely if you just prevent EGR by blanking and not changing the ECU SW then there will be an imbalance in the gas flow?

Surely if you just prevent EGR by blanking and not changing the ECU SW then there will be an imbalance in the gas flow?
Sorry in blanking I would also do the SW change, just heard that it was possible to just do the SW change to stop the valve from opening but I guess not.

I'm just interested that's all. If you blank it off won't that be obvious at MOT?

Blanking the EGR valve wont affect the running of the Diesel engine at all, If anything it will run better, the engine will get a hotter cleaner more efficient burn meaning it will produce less particulates and be better for the opacity test at the MOT (Blanking the EGR produces more NOx, NOx is not currently measured on the MOT emission test just Particulates are measured)
When you do blank the EGR it will more than likely put your Engine managment light on, although I have never really worked on Audis so I cant say for sure if it will put the MIL on or not, I think with later models though the emission laws stipulate the MIL has to come on when things that affect the emissions fail (IE blanking your EGR or blocked/removed DPF)

All correct except it isn't a diesel particulate test but a simple smoke opacity test .

Any car made 2003 onwards will throw an eml if the egr isn't functioning correctly even if Euro 3 emissions standard .

The opacimeter measures smoke, smoke is Particulates = unburnt fuel ;)

Last edited by a moderator: