Basils had a S3X change :D

you can also do the 4 plastic lugs that hold the bumper in

So !

Easiest way I've found of removing these stupid things ...

Then

Leaving this , for this

Insert screwed in

Finished

Lastly a small clue as to what tomorrow is going to involve !!

Today brings this !

Then

Finally

The pick up wasn't as bad as I was expecting however the sump looked like it had been used to cook roast potatoes every day for 13 years !!
Carbon crust all over it , quick cup brush in a die grinder sorted that out
Glad I've got that job out of the way for a bit of piece of mind

Now on the very few occasions I've driven the car I've felt disappointed in the headlights !!
Bright enough just not pointing where they should !
A couple of weeks ago I checked both level sensors were attached (they are) and today while in the workshop I've put the ignition on and lights and sat and bounced on the slam panel , no sound or vibration from the adjuster motors !!
Any way to check if it's the motors themselves or a level sensor and if so which one ?

Reactions: Jay 01 s3
I've been risking a ban long enough now so thought it time to get rid of the split a*se !!

Found this !!
Not unexpected to be fair given the cars age and mileage , still annoying as now waiting on parts !

All the sh*t removed

Parts wait begins ...........

Parts wait over

Also new 710"P" fitted (guess it's a revision or the original 710"N" ?)

Lastly , I'm treating this as an opertunity to start fully jcs hi grip everything , hopefully keeping bill happy come re map time !

Reactions: feck_on_a_stick
Been busy with work lately so basils had to take a back seat
But this weekend I managed to sort my wheels out that the last chimp hammerited !!!!!!

I forgot a before of the wheels but they can be seen in all their glory at the top of page 1 , what was he thinking ??????

Got some rear upper tie arm power flex bushes off a group on faceache , waiting on silver project adjustable tie arms and 20mm spacers before it all goes back together

Last edited:
Reactions: feck_on_a_stick and Roadtrain
Much more pleasing to the eye
Still waiting on my adjustable tie bars
Now to move onto a front end spruce up , cookbot sleeves and more powerflex goodies , 15mm spacers then billies all round

Reactions: scotty_24
So after parking the car in the other side of the work car park it was quite clear something was amiss !!
O/S had camber N/S didn't !!!
So

Trailing arm bushes , Hub end tie rod bushes , drop links , bilstein dampers , discs , pads and solid and flexy brake pipes on the way .
Time to clean it all up and paint stuff

might as well drop the diff and subframe and give those a scrubbing too while you're at it! LOL

Great restoration on the wheels though!!! They're looking brand spankin'!

Reactions: basil brush
So !
Hub end tie bar bushes And the easy peasey removal/insertion tool

Going in

Trailing arm powerflexed

This lot still to go on !
Brembo discs & pads flexy and solid brake lines , drop links , bilsteins and I've discovered the rubber pads at the top spring seat are mullered so I'll call the stealers tomorrow !

Be rude not to clean everything while it's apart

Reactions: tomjol, scotty_24, S3 Hilife and 1 other person
I just got this kit too! Hoping it does the big rear control arm bushes too

Looking good! Ive re bushed the back end too, car feels much better you will notice straight away!

Reactions: basil brush and tomjol
Started the passenger side to discover my wheelarch liner is split !

No problem , I'll nip down the breakers and see if the still have the S3 .

Got a new liner and an uncorroded tail gate trim with working release pads (only 1 of mine works !) for £20

Stripped , cleaned and protected the new pads

Reactions: IPG
do not tell anyone of this little treasure trove! hahaha

(do they have the headlight screws/spacers????)

Borrowed it from our fitter at work !
It's actually for a vectra but fitted perfectly
To be fair you could do the same job with 2 suitable sized sockets and M10 threaded bar and nuts and washers

Removal needs some imagination!
Don't use the all cup until the bush is half way out , the threaded bar isn't long enough to use both cups .
So removal is , big cup and thick washer to start it then take it all off again and replace washer with small cup .
Fitting is a doddle .
Hope that makes sense ?

Reactions: Crazypete00
Thanks basil, that's awesome I will order it now

Great job, you made these plastics new with Plasti Dip only, that's awesome!

Thanks it's easy TBH !
Right , after sorting the rear end (it's planted now )
The last thing was to bleed the brakes / change the fluid so I took basil to work and used the pit and vacuum brake bleeder , I've flushed 2 ltrs of dot 4 through the system and he's lovley now even if the brakes do feel crap !
Still researching front brake convertions and still undecided !
Anyway while under basil I discovered an engine oil leak , with further inspection it's the rocker cover gasket !
No drama .

The old gasket is like robbies dog (well ard) broken in a couple of places too , this isn't a moment too soon !!!

Mank and corruption here too !!!

And

All in soaking at the moment ready for a hot wash at work then using PT's secret formula I'm painting something

Reactions: Roadtrain and Rainbird
We've had before , now some during and after .
All clean

Etched

Base and cleared

While in there noticed what looks like injector seal failure mist deposits on the inlet runners .
As funds are limited due to my impending Bali trip I've put the front end refresh on hold until my return however I can stretch to injector seals and seats accompanied by a phenolic spacer, ultrasonic cleaner and inlet painting , I did forget to move my magnetic bowl when I took the seal evidence photo though (blonde moment )

All face transitions sealed with the correct VAG sealant ( had it left over from my oil pump pick up change )

Not one shred of evidence that I've put all this hard work in , but I know it's done which is what it's all about for me

Good work mate.

You'll enjoy Bali,went there in '95 and it was paradise and the people were lovely.Just need to get your haggling head on as they offer you a 'good price,morning price' on everything.Even found myself haggling over the price of a can of coke!

LOL !
My dad lives there , will be the 1st time I've seen him since I was 6 !!!
Going to be a roller coaster , bit like owning an old S3

Reactions: IPG

Can also vouch for Bali, went their 7 years ago. without a doubt the best country i have ever been to. The country as a whole is amazing, and the scuba diving is some of the best in the world. enjoy your time out there.

I thought I'd finished at the rear end , however these just happened (impossible to refuse at the price )
Need painting though
I've also ordered all the parts necessary to refurb my inlet manifold , new injector seals and seats , phenolic spacer , ultrasonic bath and wrinkle paint

Reactions: Roadtrain
That's better !
Before is above ^^^
This is during (half hour on the wire wheel at work )

Here's after

note the 4 new dealer bolts !!
They are "inner" bolts as they're longer than the outers and given the fork end of the tie bars is thicker than OE longer bold are needed to enable the nyloc to actually reach the threads .
Here's the part numbers for anyone who wants some

Back from Bali (what a place !!!!!!)
Bought off faceache before I left and the final piece of the interior is now done (well apart from fitting my double din but can't decide on a headunit !!)
Simple but makes so much difference