Facelift 7th vs 6th (Auto vs Manual) gear ratios

allanmb

Reaction score
Does anyone know what the gear ratios are on the FL S3? I'm wondering if 7th on the S-Tronic is the same as 6th on the manual. I think they would be the same and I assume that the extra gear in the auto is for better acceleration / smoother transitions.

Reactions: pburv, Gordo77 and samo26
Does anyone know what the gear ratios are on the FL S3? I'm wondering if 7th on the S-Tronic is the same as 6th on the manual. I think they would be the same and I assume that the extra gear in the auto is for better acceleration / smoother transitions.
I'd be interested to know that too!

Reactions: Gordo77
STronic 7th is higher than 6th in the manual, that's why it claims better economy.

Reactions: pburv and Gordo77
@allanmb So you're wondering whether 70mph / 6th gear (manual) is the same in terms of rpm as 70mph / 7th gear (s-tronic)?

Good question!

Reactions: pburv and samo26
If you look in the technical specs on Audi site, STronic calculates to around 400rpm lower at 70mph

Reactions: pburv, Gordo77 and samo26
Did a search and found this.

Manual

Manual

S Tronic

Stronic

Reactions: pburv and Gordo77
I was bored so calculated the speed in MPH vs REVS assuming running 225/40 18 tyres. :chuncky:

Speeds

Last edited:
Reactions: pburv, richinsoton, allanmb and 2 others
Here you go :smiley:

Graph

Last edited:
Reactions: pburv, richinsoton, Matt Titanium and 3 others
Thanks very much for the information!

SO, it looks like the S-Tronic has very slightly lower ratios which may help the 0-60 time a tiny bit but much closer than I would have thought. This means the main advantage in S-Tronic acceleration times must be from the speed it changes gears.

The 7th gear really does help out when cruising on the motorway :)

Reactions: pburv and samo26
I just have to say, I'm totally in love with the new 7-speed s-tronic even compared to PFL 6-speed s-tronic :)

Reactions: Tej13 and pburv
I just have to say, I'm totally in love with the new 7-speed s-tronic even compared to PFL 6-speed s-tronic :)
Jealous.

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

Reactions: pburv
any chance of knowing the gear ratios of the s3 8v (Not the facelift) S-tronic?

Cant find it anywhere