Thoughts please; S1 or A5 (3.0 TDI Quattro)

Sounds like you'll be better suited to the S5 mate....! Sod it just get an S8 and stick your slippers in the boot ;)

S8 is too big but S5............emmm, maybe ;)

Reactions: pburv and Audi Bairn
I still have my '02 E39 M5, though manual could be fun sometimes, it's such a pain in stop and go traffic, plus you can't really fully enjoy manual unless at the track.. The only reason I'm hanging on to it is the sentimental value it has for me..

A decade ago, reason to go manual was it was faster, and heel n toe, rev match fun, but nowadays DSG is much much faster and will rev match for you, I really cant think of any reason to hung up on manual anymore...

It's like hanging on to a 56k modem line because it's more fun to dial up manually each time rather than an always on ADSL...

Reactions: Simon L, pburv and Audi Bairn
I traded in my manual A4 for an auto 3.0tdi A6, not looked back at all. When there's traffic on my commute I'm happy to let it do all the messing about. On the B-roads, the sport mode is good and you can play with the paddles if you want to change yourself.
Because of the 3rd row and the kid separation space, I recently made the mistake of taking the wife's manual Touran to Blackpool to see the lights! The ultimate 3+ hour ballache of 1st gear stop start, once it's time to trade in the family wagon is going auto for sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Audi Bairn and pburv
I traded in my manual A4 for an auto 3.0tdi A6, not looked back at all. When there's traffic on my commute I'm happy to let it do all the messing about. On the B-roads, the sport mode is good and you can play with the paddles if you want to change yourself.
Because of the 3rd row and the kid separation space, I recently made the mistake of taking the wife's manual Touran to Blackpool to see the lights! The ultimate 3+ hour ballache of 1st gear stop start, once it's time to trade in the family wagon is going auto for sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You know it makes sense...:friends:

Reactions: Audi Bairn and Alex jb
Hey all, well, been offline for a few days, but been spending time in a few different Audis. My thoughts;

S1 - mental little pocket rocket and leaves a big grin on my face, but then the bad kicks in. Not enough leg room for my 6'1" frame and feels cramped especially with the annoying arm rest! Would be looking to change after a few months as the car would be too small for daily needs and the manual joy will fade very quickly in the daily grind of traffic!

A5 - lovely car to drive and very comfortable, would buy one, but not with the new model arriving here in Feb next year. It feels dated inside, especially with the technology.

A4 Avant Quattro - Had one that has been here since April and has every factory option on it! Ridiculous specification! Touching $130k for an A4 B9 Avant is just plain silly, but with mates rates at dealer, could get it sub $85 drive away. Very tempting as it has the technology to keep me entertained, but lacks something that I cannot quite place. Its a great place to sit and drives well, practical and the 185kw engine isnt too far off the S3 (210kw) without the farting noises.

Silly option: buy a run out RS3 for less than I bought the S3... but then that doesnt make for a very economical daily driver :)

Think im going to park this for a while and see what tempts me after Xmas and trip back to UK.

Reactions: Audi Bairn, richinsoton and pburv
Hey all, well, been offline for a few days, but been spending time in a few different Audis. My thoughts;

S1 - mental little pocket rocket and leaves a big grin on my face, but then the bad kicks in. Not enough leg room for my 6'1" frame and feels cramped especially with the annoying arm rest! Would be looking to change after a few months as the car would be too small for daily needs and the manual joy will fade very quickly in the daily grind of traffic!

A5 - lovely car to drive and very comfortable, would buy one, but not with the new model arriving here in Feb next year. It feels dated inside, especially with the technology.

A4 Avant Quattro - Had one that has been here since April and has every factory option on it! Ridiculous specification! Touching $130k for an A4 B9 Avant is just plain silly, but with mates rates at dealer, could get it sub $85 drive away. Very tempting as it has the technology to keep me entertained, but lacks something that I cannot quite place. Its a great place to sit and drives well, practical and the 185kw engine isnt too far off the S3 (210kw) without the farting noises.

Silly option: buy a run out RS3 for less than I bought the S3... but then that doesnt make for a very economical daily driver :)

Think im going to park this for a while and see what tempts me after Xmas and trip back to UK.
Was chatting to an Audi salesman yesterday. They had an outgoing RS3 in used stock .He told me that I would be crazy to go for a used RS as he thinks the value will plummet when the saloon comes out next year(not sure if it's already out in the states??)...The RS models do hold their value better than other models in the range but he thinks that the saloon will be so much of a hit that used values of the outgoing model will drop?

Reactions: Audi Bairn
Fair point - and nope, the RS saloon/sedan has yet to arrive here in Oz.

Reactions: pburv
Was chatting to an Audi salesman yesterday. They had an outgoing RS3 in used stock .He told me that I would be crazy to go for a used RS as he thinks the value will plummet when the saloon comes out next year(not sure if it's already out in the states??)...The RS models do hold their value better than other models in the range but he thinks that the saloon will be so much of a hit that used values of the outgoing model will drop?

I can already get a demo RS3 with a few hundred km on the clock for $5k less than what we paid for our S3 new.

We also had a recent sellout of one of our major Audi dealerships that saw a massive price drop on runout S3's/RS3's.

I thought the RS3 PFL would be relatively rare on the dealers yards but they seem to have a lot of stock.

Reactions: pburv
I can already get a demo RS3 with a few hundred km on the clock for $5k less than what we paid for our S3 new.

We also had a recent sellout of one of our major Audi dealerships that saw a massive price drop on runout S3's/RS3's.

I thought the RS3 PFL would be relatively rare on the dealers yards but they seem to have a lot of stock.
Are you tempted mate?..:whistle2:

Reactions: WarwickL
Fair point - and nope, the RS saloon/sedan has yet to arrive here in Oz.
Sorry didn't realize you were in Australia...:friends:
Will be worth holding out for one when it does though?:yes:

Ha! You sure you dont want a RS3 SB as a shopper Warwick and get the Ranger for going bush?

Reactions: pburv and WarwickL