Engine swap

Broken Byzan

Photographic Moderator
Staff member
VCDS Map User
Reaction score
Ok before i get the obligatory sell the car answers,assume that is not an option.:banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

I have here a 1.8t engine/box/manifolds/turbo etc to go into my car.:hubbahubba:
I realise i will need the loom and ECU, will it need to be an exact match to the original, or will any 1.8t A4 ECU work?:sos:

The engine came from a 96 car, but the main block etc is an APX spec .All the running gear etc is from the A4, so i really need to know what i would need to do regards to managment etc.

Any comments welcome
:blackrs4:

APX is a 225 bhp TT engine IIRC, that means you have a KO4 turbo if it is the original from that engine. I am not aware of any A4's that ran KO4's in which case even if you match to a A4 1.8t ECU you will be way off (they ran KO3 and KO3s turbos at 150 and 180bhp).
What it does mean is if you find an ecu/wiring (and more importantly the keys for the immobiliser) you are a custom remap away from close to 300bhp.

thats a cracking engine you have there, forged crank, 20mm wrist pins... if you don't fancy the hassle of a loom splice and sutom remap I will take it off your hands :)

jcb said:
APX is a 225 bhp TT engine IIRC, that means you have a KO4 turbo if it is the original from that engine. I am not aware of any A4's that ran KO4's in which case even if you match to a A4 1.8t ECU you will be way off (they ran KO3 and KO3s turbos at 150 and 180bhp).
What it does mean is if you find an ecu/wiring (and more importantly the keys for the immobiliser) you are a custom remap away from close to 300bhp.

thats a cracking engine you have there, forged crank, 20mm wrist pins... if you don't fancy the hassle of a loom splice and sutom remap I will take it off your hands :)

It is the TT 225 std block and head,with all of the 96 car bits bolted to it, ie inlet and exhaust mainifolds etc, it sadly only came with a K03,lol. I was hoping i could get an ECU/loom from a 96/97/98 ish car and use VAG-Com to code it to my dash and keys

if you have the TT exhaust mani and a ko3 ....it won't fit

No no No,lol Its got A4 manifolds and turbo already fitted.All the fuel rail,injectors etc also appear to be A4 as oposed to TT ones. Its just literally the block and the head thats TT,the rest is A4

Strange combo but as stated in another thread I think you should go standalone as from what I here your going to have a problem getting a standard ECU to make this setup work but I would think your going to need a custom job as I would think the block may carry different sensors and plugs from a 96 A4. You are also going to need all the IC parts (that’s if it did not come with the engine) which I have some key parts for also maybe a fuel pump as I'm not sure a stock NA 1.8 engine will be up for the job.

You will also need a set of clocks for a turbo I would have thought as I'm sure it will have a different internal module setup for the turbo over the 1.8NA engine but then I could be wrong.

Ok i have done some dissmantling today seeing as the rain had actually stopped, i have found that my engine is not an APX( :ohmy: ) but the head is. I hope this will make it easier to get running again.

If any,what are the advantages to the APX head as oposed to an AEB one. Are there any partnumbers i can dig out that will help.

i know the AEB head is a good one to have as it is a large port version, the APX maybe as well, there is a part number on the block you can get to see exactly which block you have, i have a etka cd so i can check for you against that, make sure you get the last digit which is sometimes a letter as audi are good at have very similar part numbers for different parts.

i have just put an APU engine into my late 98 1.8t and didn't realise the ports were smaller which was annoying, especially as it had an AEB in there before. as long as you use block and head, most of the bolt on parts are interchangable. sensors are sometimes different as throughout the years/versions audi changed the plugs, so simply swap sensors from original engine and you should be ok.

good work buddy you are going to love having boost in your a4, there are some very tech savvy guys on audizine who will be able to answer a lot of your questions.

The techies at Audizine didnt even reply to my post mate,lol

Thanks for the link on the standalone.

I think all i need really is some plumbing and a wiring harness now

will get back to you later today with engine id, sorry haven't had net access all weekend and haven't got etka on me.

with regards to engine conversion, have you got any insurance quotes for afterwards? you maybe surprised at the unwilliness of a lot of comapnies to insure the car. in the long run it maybe cheaper to just get a 1.8t. i know selling a car maybe not the option at the moment, but not sure if engines swap is sensible either. just my 2p, speaking from experience and all that.

ok, well i've had a look and can't find it yet, will phone a mate in audi tomorrow and keep looking tonight. willl get back.