Facelift Matrix LED or electric winding mirrors? Help to choose one.

KevinLee888

Reaction score
Hi folks, looking to make a purchase of the FL s3, but really can't decide between the folding electric side mirrors or the matrix LEDs (which gives the dynamic indicators at the front to match the rear).

Cannot get both as it will result in me having to pay an extra $1600AUD in motor vehicle duty, which I am not prepare to fork out.

What would you all recommend getting?

Many thanks in advance!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I think that you should start off by only telling the dealer you want one of those options e.g. the matrix led (and don't pay retail for them).
When you've got their best and final offer, then tell them they've got a deal if they through in the mirrors.
Regarding the options themselves, it would be a struggle not to have them both, as they each bring great features.
They certainty have room to move on the option pricing, and you should be able to get both. for max $1K. Good luck.

I think that you should start off by only telling the dealer you want one of those options e.g. the matrix led (and don't pay retail for them).
When you've got their best and final offer, then tell them they've got a deal if they through in the mirrors.
Regarding the options themselves, it would be a struggle not to have them both, as they each bring great features.
They certainty have room to move on the option pricing, and you should be able to get both. for max $1K. Good luck.

Ahhh.... good idea! But I suspect that might be hard as I am driving a pretty hard bargain already, with a number of dealers quoting the same spec over $6 to $8k more... but will definitely give it a try! If it fails, still having a hard time choosing!

It appears that you are choosing practicality and aesthetics. If you are living in compacted cities like I do in Hong Kong, I would definitely choose folding mirrors. I hurts when my car got scratched. I think the matrix headlight is able to shine the road and flash indicator lights just as good as conventional Xeons.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It appears that you are choosing practicality and aesthetics. If you are living in compacted cities like I do in Hong Kong, I would definitely choose folding mirrors. I hurts when my car got scratched. I think the matrix headlight is able to shine the road and flash indicator lights just as good as conventional Xeons.

That is true I don't have folding side mirrors on my car now, but it does automatically dip when I reverse, which is handy when parallel parking. Whereas the matrix LED seems like a pretty cool feature together with the dynamic indicators... decisions decisions

Matrix. They're a) ****** amazing, and b) Far harder and more expensive to fit to the car in the aftermarket. The parts, knowledge and coding to fit folding mirrors to an 8V is well established and can be done for not much cash. The matrix LED's are an unknown.

Besides, folding mirrors are not going to stop a halfwit damaging your car. On the contrary, I often park so that the the door of the car next to me can only open into the mirror, and not against my door. The plastic and aluminium mirror is far more forgiving of such contact than a thin doorskin.

Reactions: DJAlix, fatyin and KevinLee888
Matrix. They're a) ****** amazing, and b) Far harder and more expensive to fit to the car in the aftermarket. The parts, knowledge and coding to fit folding mirrors to an 8V is well established and can be done for not much cash. The matrix LED's are an unknown.

Besides, folding mirrors are not going to stop a halfwit damaging your car. On the contrary, I often park so that the the door of the car next to me can only open into the mirror, and not against my door. The plastic and aluminium mirror is far more forgiving of such contact than a thin doorskin.

Very good points! I think you just made my decision easier. Now... the negotiation hahaha

Reactions: KenL and GSB

Very good points indeed.

I'm from Australia too, for me the decision of whether to add the matrix LED lights came down to whether I wanted to have the car within 3-4 months, or wait another 3-4 months on top of that due to the production schedule (cars with certain options were already in production etc.), I decided that the wait wasn't worth it. I left out the matrix LED however managed to get electric side mirrors.
End of the day, LED lights come standard on the facelift S3 which is good enough for me, as I do mostly city driving so the matrix LED wouldn't have that much effect on well lit roads, and the dynamic indicator was not enough to sway me since I don't really get to look at it when driving :p

Reactions: KevinLee888 and fatyin
I'm from Australia too, for me the decision of whether to add the matrix LED lights came down to whether I wanted to have the car within 3-4 months, or wait another 3-4 months on top of that due to the production schedule (cars with certain options were already in production etc.), I decided that the wait wasn't worth it. I left out the matrix LED however managed to get electric side mirrors.
End of the day, LED lights come standard on the facelift S3 which is good enough for me, as I do mostly city driving so the matrix LED wouldn't have that much effect on well lit roads, and the dynamic indicator was not enough to sway me since I don't really get to look at it when driving :p

Lol! Have you ever take a sneak peek at your car when you drive past reflective windows? I've done that many times, but you are right, that's about the only time I will see them :p or when there's another S3 with dynamic indicators driving by and I will stare at them drooling

The production delay for Matrix has now been resolved. I waited a few extra weeks for my car due to the matrix lights, but on current orders there should be no difference in delivery time.

Lol! Have you ever take a sneak peek at your car when you drive past reflective windows? I've done that many times, but you are right, that's about the only time I will see them :p or when there's another S3 with dynamic indicators driving by and I will stare at them drooling

I'm unfortunately still waiting for my car :( expected deliver is January, although I'm hoping it will come before christmas (what a present that will be!) and my dealer said its most likely to come before January. The wait is so hard though, that's why I couldn't do any more waiting just to add the matrix LED lights.

I'm unfortunately still waiting for my car :( expected deliver is January, although I'm hoping it will come before christmas (what a present that will be!) and my dealer said its most likely to come before January. The wait is so hard though, that's why I couldn't do any more waiting just to add the matrix LED lights.

That would have been nice indeed!!! What's your spec may I ask?

That would have been nice indeed!!! What's your spec may I ask?

I've gone for the sports performance package, electric side mirrors, sunroof, driver assistance pack (I think thats what its called, it includes the park assist, lane assist and some others that I can't remember right now :p) and the fold down seats and ofcourse the colour I chose is daytona grey :)

I've gone for the sports performance package, electric side mirrors, sunroof, driver assistance pack (I think thats what its called, it includes the park assist, lane assist and some others that I can't remember right now :p) and the fold down seats and ofcourse the colour I chose is daytona grey :)

Very nice!!! I am going with the budget option, ibis white with sports package and black styling pack plus either electric side mirrors or matrix LEDs. Will probably have to wait till Feb/March for delivery . I do know there is one without the matrix LEDs but with electric side mirrors ready for delivery at the end of Nov, so decisions decisions!!!

Very nice!!! I am going with the budget option, ibis white with sports package and black styling pack plus either electric side mirrors or matrix LEDs. Will probably have to wait till Feb/March for delivery . I do know there is one without the matrix LEDs but with electric side mirrors ready for delivery at the end of Nov, so decisions decisions!!!

Ibis white with black styling pack looks really good, the salesman I dealt with had his own s3 in the parking lot with this setup, it looks so good in person.
You're in the same predicament I was in, when you think about it, you're spending a lot of money on this car, you want something that is going to make you 100% happy, to me it sounds like the matrix LED's are going to make you happier :)

Ibis white with black styling pack looks really good, the salesman I dealt with had his own s3 in the parking lot with this setup, it looks so good in person.
You're in the same predicament I was in, when you think about it, you're spending a lot of money on this car, you want something that is going to make you 100% happy, to me it sounds like the matrix LED's are going to make you happier :)

Hahaha.... exactly my thinking... spending so much already, so would want one with no regrets! Hahaha you are right, I do really like the matrix LEDs now just need to get the right price to see whether I can afford both without blowing my budget!!

+1 Folding mirrors. Several other cars have dynamic indicators and more will follow. The novelty has gone already for me. Not that you'll actually benefit anyway from inside the car.
The matrix lights may look good but there was nothing actually wrong with the lights before. On the other hand, if you can sweet talk the dealer and get both then go for it.

If just the one option then the mirrors for me as they are the only option of the 2 of use.

Reactions: WarwickL and KevinLee888
+1 Folding mirrors. Several other cars have dynamic indicators and more will follow. The novelty has gone already for me. Not that you'll actually benefit anyway from inside the car.
The matrix lights may look good but there was nothing actually wrong with the lights before. On the other hand, if you can sweet talk the dealer and get both then go for it.

If just the one option then the mirrors for me as they are the only option of the 2 of use.

Hahah yes, the logical me would agree, yet the irrational me is leaning towards the aesthetically pleasing symmetrical front and back dynamic indicators. For some reason, having the dynamic rear but not at the front doesn't sit quite well with me hahah. Of course, am still trying to sweet talk the dealer to see what can be done

Just getting the dynamic indicators is no reason to go for matrix lights, the indicators are just tinsel. The matrix lights however, are well worth having. As I said in another thread, comparing the matrix lights in my new car to the LED lights in the 2016 S3 I had on long term loan before is like comparing a candle to a maglite. The new standard LEDs in the facelift are better, but the matrix is a big step beyond that.

If dynamic front indicators are the most desired reason, then I'd wait. The aftermarket surely won't be long in coming up with a retrofit for adding dynamic indicators to the stock LED's.

Oh, and it's worth remembering that the stock mirrors can still be folded. You just have to do it the old fashioned way.

If you compare the number of times you park a car in a spot where you need to fold the mirrors (surely, for sake of your panels this isn't that often?), to the number of times you drive it in the dark, you may have a guide to your answer.

Reactions: KevinLee888 and DJAlix
I think the people suggesting mirrors over the matrix LEDs have clearly never driven a car with matrix LEDs....

As has been said before, you can retrofit folding mirrors easily. No brainier in my opinion!

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Reactions: KevinLee888 and GSB
Retrofitting Power Folding Mirrors = £300 (approx) in parts and a few hours of work.

Retrofitting Matrix Lights = £2300 to £2700 in parts and a good day to install.

Reactions: KevinLee888

Agree with above

Have only had one opportunity to test matrix headlights and they just weren't that much better, if at all. I liked the switching but as for lighting the road at night, in our conditions, not much noticeable improvement over stock LED's. Actually, on the night I tested them, they seemed to lack a bit on dip versus the standard leds, the width seemed less.

Folding/dipping mirrors, nice to have but not essential. The mirror dip on reverse works well, much better than the coded dip on non power mirrors. The light sensitive film works well although Audi (and VW) changed the liquid they used so that you now have an untreated area around the perimeter of the glass. I know they had leakage issues on the previous version so assume that must be why they changed it.

Reactions: KevinLee888
I think the people suggesting mirrors over the matrix LEDs have clearly never driven a car with matrix LEDs....

As has been said before, you can retrofit folding mirrors easily. No brainier in my opinion!

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

The other half has adaptive LED headlights on her Mondeo. As nice as they look (and yes they do light better), my opinion still stands. Especially as normal Xenons and LED headlights work fine for me (Maybe I'm blessed with better than average night sight, or more probable, I don't need the 'latest' toys)
I've always liked folding mirrors.
Everyone seems to assume that if you ain't got'em then you'll have to retrofit at a later stage. Obviously not.

Just getting the dynamic indicators is no reason to go for matrix lights, the indicators are just tinsel. The matrix lights however, are well worth having. As I said in another thread, comparing the matrix lights in my new car to the LED lights in the 2016 S3 I had on long term loan before is like comparing a candle to a maglite. The new standard LEDs in the facelift are better, but the matrix is a big step beyond that.

If dynamic front indicators are the most desired reason, then I'd wait. The aftermarket surely won't be long in coming up with a retrofit for adding dynamic indicators to the stock LED's.

Oh, and it's worth remembering that the stock mirrors can still be folded. You just have to do it the old fashioned way.

If you compare the number of times you park a car in a spot where you need to fold the mirrors (surely, for sake of your panels this isn't that often?), to the number of times you drive it in the dark, you may have a guide to your answer.

Many thanks again! I am definitely leaning towards the matrix as a first preference, but the electric folding mirrors are pretty kewl too! Love the way it folds when you park and starts the car now....let's see what I can negotiate to fit within my budget! Hahaha