Facelift Tell me about your FL S3 first impressions

Masslob

Reaction score
I'm still waiting for mine impatiently. Will be any day in the next 2 weeks.

In the meantime for those who already have theirs it would be interesting to hear your first impressions of it. Interior, exterior and performance. There are tons of reviews out there but they are professional reviewers. I'd rather hear a real owners opinion. :)

It will give me an idea of what to expect.

The professional reviews, unbiased both by being able to compare more models, and by virtue of their not having ploughed huge sums of their own money into the cars, are probably a more reasoned and honest opinion base from which to work.

Reactions: SpeedyFrog and pburv
I think it's a shame that people seem to disappear from the forum after they collect their car.

Reactions: ammo-mcr and SpeedyFrog
Yeah I agree. I've read all the reviews and already ordered the car. But would like to hear what people think of it.

Reactions: SpeedyFrog
Picked up my Facelift S3 in glacier white yesterday, coming from a pre facelift. Needed 5 doors and my previous S3 had 3. Looked at RS3's and thought long and hard about them, but came to the decision that i would rather of had a new S3 than a used RS3. Reason being I always wondered how its been driven etc.

Anyway, didn't think there would be many differences..knew the exterior was a lot nicer and in person it looks a LOT sharper/aggressive. The front has much more of an S3 look, so does the rear. The rear diffuser is much more noticeable and really finishes the rear off.

The interior is a lot nicer too, the screen resolution is so much better and the layout has now been changed too. Google maps is a favourite of mine, it has to be said. Also prefer the full leather seats too. Think if anyone is thinking of ordering one, the interior lighting package is a must. Now mine hasn't got the virtual cockpit, wish it had but it was the only one at the dealership that ticked most of the boxes.

Another thing that surprised me, was how loud the standard exhaust is. Dont get me wrong, its not like a full milltek system, but compared to the previous one its a bit more noticeable. Apart from the above, one of the best improvements for me personally, is the LED head lights along with the dynamic rear indicators. Only been out in it once while dark, and the beam is unbelieveable. I thought the projectors in the pre facelift were bright, but these are in a league of their own! Its literally like daylight infront of you for the next 20 ft. The 7 speed box is brilliant too, takes a bit of getting used to on motorway journeys, as your not really expecting a downshift when overtaking, but definitely a bonus!

Not had it long enough to give a proper review, but first impressions its a massive improvement..to say its not a completely different model.

Reactions: ChivsBang, BarryG79, Richierich37 and 2 others
I've now had mine for a month/1300 miles and still loving it. but can only really compare it to the 1.8 TFSI A3 that I traded in and the cars I've had on loan for extended periods over the last year whilst Audi sorted mine out .

To me, the S3 goes like stink, sticks to the road like glue and is reasonably economical. A great package and I'm very happy with it.
The four exhausts and rear snow plough are a bit over the top. Personally I would have preferred something a bit more discrete. I've got used to the noise, certainly wouldn't want it any louder and would make it easier to switch off the silly soundactor in the dash.
Absolutely love the Navarra, better than Scuba. If Sepang had been available I would have chosen it but on balance, Audi were probably right to ditch it for Navarra as it really is a gorgeous colour that suits the car .
I don't have any rattles and haven't had any problems with the car.
I love Rotor grey and the smell of leather every time I get into the S3.
The B&O - not much different to standard as background radio with passengers in the car, very good when cranked up, no distortion, but not of Audiophile Hi-Fi quality.
MMI more intuitive and better than the old system but sat nav a bit clunky having to dial in letters and numbers with the linear display with the MMI knob. not as good as the old rotary selection. Touch screens standard on the most basic cars these days.
Hold assist - The electronic handbrake is good and bad, not intuitive and easy to forget. There were times when I forgot to put it on in the A3. I do leave my cars in gear when parked but sometimes suffered anxiety about having remembered to put it on. Never have to touch the handbrake again with hold assist - best value option on the car.
LED headlights are bright, white and fabulous! Far better than the old yellow candles.
40mpg on the motorway, 32mpg on my 8 mile commute, which is very good considering how I'm driving the car now its run in.

A3 1.8 TFSI Sport Manual
Tended to understeer and skip about a bit but very good for FWD.
The S3 always feels much more powerful/torquey and capable to drive. More steering feel.
45-50mpg on the motorway and 39-41mpg driving to work. Long term average over 23000 miles was 41.5mpg

PFL S3 STronic saloon:
I don't have mag ride and don't miss it compared to how this car drove in comfort or auto modes. Around town it doesn't take speed bumps or pot holes particularly well but wouldn't say the suspension is that much harder than the sport option on the A3. Would be a pain touring the Lake district going over mountain passes though. I have encountered the S3 bounce but see this as a compromise for a bit more feel of the road, (which it certainly has).
With the 6 speed STronic, the S3 responded to the accelerator like Corporal Jones 'standing at ease'. Couldn't get on with the flappy paddles.
I Don't feel any turbo lag with the manual. We live in a quiet area without traffic jams. We went on holiday a couple of weeks ago, stuck in queuing traffic, if I had to deal with this every day I would buy the STronic (which IS excellent - once it has decided what to do).
Standard sound system was very poor in this car - definitely inferior to the standard system fitted to my 3 yr old 8V 1.8
36mpg on the motorway, 27mpg driving to work.

A3 150 TDI SE STronic:
Found the SE seats uncomfortable.
The 150 diesel was slooooow, especially as it was supposed to have considerably more torque than my 1.8.
53 MPG on the motorway, 48mpg driving to work.

Q3 150 TDI:
A truly horrible gas guzzzler cheap looking interior, not nice to drive - 32mpg
I'll leave it there.

A4 190 TDI Avant SLine manual:
My original choice was going to be A3 184 TDI FWD SLine manual. I went for the S3 because the 184 FL was only released in quattro/Stronic, I wanted blue and Scuba was discontinued, and by the time I'd specc'd leather etc and exclusive colour (if even available) the S3 was not much more expensive.
The front of the A4 did struggle for grip and skip about a bit at times. Never had the skiddy light up on the S3
Liked the A4 but it did feel a bit of a barge compared to the A3. Engine flat until 1800rpm but I could live with that.
Far far more room in the back of the A4. The A3 FWD is a bit short on boot space, the S3 is even worse with the higher level floor. For our week away we had to drop one of the back seats to get all the luggage in.

Golf 1.6 TDI Bluemotion Manual:
Very slow, will keep up with motorway traffic.
Seats far more comfortable than the A3 SE
Interior not in the same league as the A3
Very economical, indicted 66 mpg on the motorway, 60mpg on A roads

Reactions: SpeedyFrog and Gordo77
Thanks guys exactly the kind of opinions I was looking for :)