Check engine light

VrX

Reaction score
Should check engine light come on with ignition?

Just checked mine and showing 2 fault codes (not got them to hand now) but noticed when turning ignition on / starting I don't get check light even flash up is this right?

Will do proper look at codes later but concerned now after delays in picking it up have they just done a dodgy and removed check light

Well looks like that is what they have done, just checked swirl flaps and left bank not even connected...

Attachments

• DSC_0106.JPG
    DSC_0106.JPG
    802.8 KB · Views: 252
I might have missed a few things, I thought's they'd replaced it all?

That's what I was told... Motors look old though (obviously there is chance they put in used parts though).

When I test drove it had what I though was check engine on just looked at manual and it was emissions light which don't flash up on ignition on. Was told they had to do dpf clean as well so wondering if that was why light on and flaps only causes error code but don't put a light on.

They also stamped my service book and said done oil air filter etc... So pulled out air filter and didn't look bad but certainly not as clean as I'd expect with less than 100 miles done so just boils down to all car dealers are lying ####s.

Right, well I reconnected linkage (after turning it round the correct way) and I'm left with one new code... P2015 (implausible signal) also noticed when turning engine off other bank the motor opens and closes a couple of times this one stays where it is.

I'm guessing this is dodgy motor? When putting link on had to twist motor round a bit as initially didn't line up.

Now question is do I just say fk it and do it myself or give back to dealer to do and not see car again for weeks and chances are will be another bodge job.

Also what's best for mean time leave connected or disconnected? Are flaps likely up be open or closed? Looking from in front of car it is left bank and currently motor is fully down.

Personally. I'd hand it back. I caught out a garage once who had 'fixed' an esp fault before I bought it with black mastik over the led.
It cost them quite abit of money.

Just sent them a long email, got car hooked up to VCDS and did instrument warning light test, sure enough everything lit up except emissions light.

Will see what they say. Take it though the warning lights on this are led so to disable it probably done something destructive like mastic or broken led / tracks.

Seems quite common these days for the bodge it and scarper brigade to just disable or blank an LED. They assume that if the car appears to drive OK and there are no lights on the dash then nobody will ever find out. I would want it fixing correctly and as they have already appeared to have failed I wouldn't trust them to do that.

Came to agreement with dealer and just ordered fully refurbished manifolds and actuators (both banks complete units), they are reimbursing full cost and I'll do fitting (least I know exactly what is done then, certainly wouldn't trust anyone they chose).

Next thing though is dash light, is there any how to on getting clocks out? As I'm sure it is a maze of hidden clips and screws before I go ripping something off.

Worked it out was actually one of easiest dash removals I've done... Sure enough...

Attachments

• DSC_0107.JPG
    DSC_0107.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 202
Reactions: desertstorm
Unbelieveable, In the time they took to do that they could probably have fixed the problem if they knew what they were doing.
Where was that done.

Yeah looks like they haven't even attempted to do swirl flaps as they look original minus linkage (which was on backwards and disconnected at one end!) obviously used parts may have been used but nothing seems to have been disturbed around them

No idea dealer does not have on site mechanics and said it was one of the garages he uses and he will deal with them. Wouldn't be surprised if he knew but can't prove that.

It's not rogers of Brock is it? That's exactly what happened to my old a4.
An utter disgrace. Personally I'd take it back. What else are they hiding?

Nah, car dealer is in Hertfordshire, sorry forgot to answer earlier, well going by VCDS nothing major wrong, only one minor niggle with wiper stalk I'll worry about later.

Talking it back to them means another uncertain fix plus will be a good opportunity to see how dirty intake looks and give it a clean etc...

I'd be phoning trading standards. That's surely fraud / illegal / something.

Reactions: feva and AudiLeon
wow that is disgraceful. Maybe ask for full photo evidence of all the parts going in before and after and if they further bodge anything you will take the damming pictures you have already to report them to trading standards. Definately a small claims case viable here.. they cost you £50 to set up and they will tke them to court.. and if in your favour any payout from them and your fee covered by the other party pretty sure.

Got things in pipeline but won't go into details on forum as waiting for payment for parts I ordered so want that in bank first but not letting it drop.

I'd be handing it back for a full refund. Dealer would know they need to play ball too.

Dude get rid, if they going to blank an led what's else is hiding away, ?...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Reactions: feva
I'm sorry to say this, but I think that there are a few good tips being handed out here, unless you bought that car at a "steal" price .

I'm shocked. Just think of all the people out there who believe that their cars have been fixed but in reality their warning lamps have been disabled! With all the TV programs about fraud etc, I can't help but believe that there is a growing sector of society who have just completely lost any integrity and have no guilt about preying on honest hardworking folks.

Right... Car has been looked over with fine tooth comb on vcds, plus been in for Audi health check, only two issues which are the ones known (swirls and intermittent fault with wipers detailed on another thread).

Dealers now fully reimbursed me with cost for fully refurbished intake manifolds and actuators (including paying surcharge) so once they turn up its just my time fitting them which is fine don't mind getting oily.

The wipers I'm getting looked at Friday and will be covered as well so just time needed diagnosing and getting sorted.

I am happy that even with these issues car is still worth it, I'm going to be paying for it for next 4 years so if there was any belief it was hiding anything serious I'd have already taken it back. When there were delays with it being "fixed" I was given opportunity to cancel deal and it was considered then and did a lot of research on what else is available but couldn't find anything at same spec as this one for anything close to price (closest was a grand more and no leather or B&O).

Thanks everyone for their help and advice it's all been taken on board and I may be proved wrong in future but will be keeping the car.

Absolutely amazing car to drive and to be honest if I didn't know what I was looking for it would have worked as the engine and gearbox are smooth as anything and it pulls like a train, my issue is the deciept and obvious ineptitude of whoever tried to repair it not even being able to put a linkage on the correct way round. Honestly speaking if car was advertised as spares and repair with issues highlighted I would still choose it over anything else I've seen in same price range.

Reactions: AudiLeon
At the end of the day. It's your car and your choice. It's easy for us to say send it back.
If you're happy, then you have my blessing. You can marry my daughter. I've gone off track.

Well now you've offered... Lol

To be honest it is a sad start to what was originally dream car and maybe I am slightly biased but at same time I have had a decent think about it and right or wrong now only time will tell. But I'm certainly going to enjoy the car for now.

Plus last car I bought was perfect when I picked it up, that ended up blowing up in 3 years doing average of 5k/yr so it's always a bit of a lottery anyway.

VrX, i feel your pain, when i bought mine i was over the moon as never thought i could afford an Audi and mine was the only B8 for sale for £8k.
then i spent about 3 months back and forward to the garage with issue after issue and became very disheartened and hated the car and even tried to sell it after everything had been sorted. but i persevered and fell in love it again. I'm paying for mine for another 3 years so hopefully it wont fall apart before that (currently has done 160k miles) and i can enjoy driving it.
i think the moral of the story is when buying any used car i believe there will always be something that the dealer/garage will be hiding, so factor in a few hundred quid for early repairs!

GOOD LUCK MATE AND ENJOY THE CAR

Thanks, last few cars I bought I had my spec thought out beforehand and then always ended up compromising and regretting it afterwards.

This one hits everything I wanted (minus little things like lighting) even down to colour and every used car I've bought has had a problem somewhere so hopefully once fixed I won't have anything major to worry about in future and can enjoy fact I've got car I wanted for a change.

Just got home to find these waiting for me :hearteyes:

DSC 0110

Looks like ( hopefully ) a productive weekend ahead, hope all goes to plan and puts the fault issue to bed once and for all 'n

Yeah taking it in for multitronic oil change tomorrow as want to do that for peace of mind it's not far from due and rather do it early then onto the flaps.

They seem much heavier duty than standard ones I've seen online, they were advertised as "upgraded" but tbh I just expected bit tougher plastic but the flaps are all aluminium and linkages much bulkier so will hopefully last a while.

Reactions: AudiLeon
Well got home from getting multitronic oil done around midday so thought will crack straight on with swirl flaps. 3 hours later I had the bank that was busted replaced. What an absolute nightmare! But it is now done, I didn't bother replacing other bank today, have a dodgy leg which decided to kick in today 1/2 way through so enough is enough.

Have to say absolute pig to work on, so little space and so many places for dropped bolts to get caught / lost (and I dropped quite a few! But managed to retrieve them all... just...) so don't know if I will replace other bank when I have some spare time or will wait until it breaks.

Put it on VCDS and cleared code, hey presto I no longer have the emissions light on (and no tissue in dash!).

Reactions: gary_a4_quattro
Good result, top work mate. Sounds like it was a right pain (no pun intended)

Sent from my Note 4 using tapatalk

Reactions: VrX