Facelift 1.0TFSI.

KenL

Reaction score
Now done about 550 miles in my wee sowing machine and I am mightily impressed.

My last 2 cars were a Cooper and Cooper S - both with more power.

The wee 1 litre is no slouch and Audi have got the gearing and tuning spot on in terms of making this a great car to drive day to day.

Even more impressive is that I gave averaged 52.5 mpg over these miles. Much of this has been town work or slow stop-start commute along the motorway.

60 mpg plus is easily obtained on quiet roads.

Very happy with my first Audi!

Reactions: Scottyg, glasgowdubber, f1nny and 3 others
Glad to hear your impressed and obtaining those kind of figures, especially with town driving. I should hopefully be collecting my 1.0 TFSI within the next two weeks

How you finding the engine/drive with regards to refinement ? I use to have 1.2 TFSI engine which was very smooth to drive but the 1.0 TFSI has now replaced this and with it being a 3 cylinder means it normally unbalanced. Which I know VW/Audi made the flywheel and crankshaft pulley unbalanced to counteract it.

Last edited:
Hi f1nny.
The engine is very quiet. It does not have the odd 3 cylinder thrum that was in the first 3 cylinder engines (eg Toyota Aygo).

It is an incredibly refined car to drive. Very comfortable and all controls (especially clutch and gear change) are light and smooth compared to my MINIs.

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts.

Attachments

• 20160918_155149.jpg
    20160918_155149.jpg
    5 MB · Views: 340
Reactions: f1nny
At least you get led dlr lights as standard, even if it is a 1.0.

Well done

Wow, I'm impressed with those figures in a 1.0 TFSI A1.

Sounds like you'll get on well with it :)

I like the three cyclinder thrum you get with these latest sewing machine cars. It's an unusual, but aurally very pleasing sound. Reminds me of driving an old school 911, or an old six pot Subaru Legacy.

Reactions: KenL and Scottyg
I imagine a 3-cyl would sound like a quieter V6? Like the RS3 5-cyl sounds a bit like an R8 V10.

Just a shame a 4-cyl doesn't sound like a V8 ;)

I've currently got a Fiesta 1.0 with 140bhp (working on getting my Audi) and it's really amazing how much power they can get out of them, but still easily do 50mpg stop start.

I like the three cyclinder thrum you get with these latest sewing machine cars. It's an unusual, but aurally very pleasing sound. Reminds me of driving an old school 911, or an old six pot Subaru Legacy.
So do I, shame can`t be had with progressive steering, which I love. If it was would be my 1st choice.

Now done about 550 miles in my wee sowing machine and I am mightily impressed.

My last 2 cars were a Cooper and Cooper S - both with more power.

The wee 1 litre is no slouch and Audi have got the gearing and tuning spot on in terms of making this a great car to drive day to day.

Even more impressive is that I gave averaged 52.5 mpg over these miles. Much of this has been town work or slow stop-start commute along the motorway.

60 mpg plus is easily obtained on quiet roads.

Very happy with my first Audi!

greetings from Croatia!

my audi a3 limousine design 1.0 tfsi is arriving next week and it would be great if you could post some kind of video of your car while driving. I'm interested in sound of the engine and normal acceleration between 1500 and 4000 rpm in all gears.

It's very hard to find review video reviews of that engine because in western countries people mostly buy S-line stronger engines.

I was very interested in buying 1.4 tfsi, but it was to expensive to me. Here in Croatia we have very high interest rates, so I had to buy it with cash money.

Last edited:
Sorry Perla. I won't manage to make and post a video that would give you an accurate idea of the car.

There are video reviews of the same engine in a Golf.

Please post up pics of your car when you get it. Hopefully you can get some amazing scenery as a background.

Hi f1nny.
The engine is very quiet. It does not have the odd 3 cylinder thrum that was in the first 3 cylinder engines (eg Toyota Aygo).

It is an incredibly refined car to drive. Very comfortable and all controls (especially clutch and gear change) are light and smooth compared to my MINIs.

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts.

@KenL did you not have or try the 3 cylinder turbo minis? My wife has the 1.2T 3 Cyc and it's a cracking wee engine with a great sound for a 1.2. The 1.5 Cooper is even better.

Reactions: KenL
I traded a 1.5T Cooper in to get the A3.

A brilliant engine.

Reactions: Scottyg
More space??? That's what my wife is thinking about just now but wants to stay with Mini. Trying to convince her that the 5 Dr is her best bet!

Reactions: Bristle Hound
I am not a fan of the look of the 5 door MINI hatch.

The new Clubman is funky and practical. Top quality interior too.

I like the Clubman, however, it needs the JCW pack on it or I think it can just look like a boring barge. But agreed on the interior. Hopefully the new Countryman will have the same one.

Reactions: pburv
I like the Clubman, however, it needs the JCW pack on it or I think it can just look like a boring barge. But agreed on the interior. Hopefully the new Countryman will have the same one.
If I'm not mistaken I think @Bristle Hound has a Mini in the family or did have?

If I'm not mistaken I think @Bristle Hound has a Mini in the family or did have?
@pburv - Funny you should say that. The wife has just collected her new F55 MINI Cooper S 5 door on Wednesday
Her old Ka had to go as more Grandchildren incoming lol

192hp 2 litre turbo petrol :thumbs up:

Reactions: pburv
@pburv - Funny you should say that. The wife has just collected her new F55 MINI Cooper S 5 door on Wednesday
Her old Ka had to go as more Grandchildren incoming lol

192hp 2 litre turbo petrol :thumbs up:
Wow! Little pocket rocket....:rockwoot:

Reactions: Scottyg and Bristle Hound

Were you on LSD at the time ?

Were you on LSD at the time ?
Says the man dragging up a sixteen month old post... :think:

No, m’lud, I was not indulging in any kind of narcotic substance.

Reactions: KenL, SamR92 and ACWKGYTO
Yes guilty of dragging up a thread !
Im sure the 3pots have their place, good frugal runarounds. Maybe we'll all be forced to drive them in the future !

Says the man dragging up a sixteen month old post... :think:

No, m’lud, I was not indulging in any kind of narcotic substance.

Perhaps he/she was stalking me ;-)

Reactions: SamR92
Yes guilty of dragging up a thread !
Im sure the 3pots have their place, good frugal runarounds. Maybe we'll all be forced to drive them in the future !
Wouldn’t be a bad thing, my 1.0tfsi is one of the best engines I’ve ever driven, it is that good. I’ve had pretty much every variant of engine in my time but the A3 tfsi is easily up there with the best of them. It is quiet, very refined and can progress very very nicely when pushed....and then you get that nice engine thrum.

Honestly, it has surpassed all my expectations because when I ordered it I had huge reservations. I would 100% get the same engine again.

I kind of knew what it might be like as my missus has an A1 with the same engine but it feels much nicer in the A3. Also, more than one review I’ve read has the 1.0 tfsi as the pick of the A3 range.....no higher compliment in my book.

Last edited:
Reactions: KenL
Aye right!
Wouldn’t be a bad thing, my 1.0tfsi is one of the best engines I’ve ever driven, it is that good. I’ve had pretty much every variant of engine in my time but the A3 tfsi is easily up there with the best of them. It is quiet, very refined and can progress very very nicely when pushed....and then you get that nice engine thrum.

Honestly, it has surpassed all my expectations because when I ordered it I had huge reservations. I would 100% get the same engine again.

I kind of knew what it might be like as my missus has an A1 with the same engine but it feels much nicer in the A3. Also, more than one review I’ve read have the 1.0 tfsi as the pick of the A3 range.....no higher compliment in my book.

Does it have a sound actuator, ie fake cabin noise pumped in or not ? Im interested perhaps something I might hire on holiday.

My 1.5 boxer engine twin carb set up makes an amazing sound, its 105bhp in a small hatchback Alfasud from the 80's !

Im 99% sure it doesn’t and the sound is the actual sound of the engine. Officially it is quicker than the 1.6 tdi, pretty impressive for a 1.0 petrol engine.

I mocked it before I tried it, not anymore.

Last edited:
Reactions: KenL and ACWKGYTO