Retrofit puddle /warning lights

Jock!1

Reaction score
Hi

Im looking at retrofitting door puddle and warning lights to my A4 avant B8. Is it right in saying that they would only work if I have a VCDS cable/ program to switch them on??

Thanks John

Yes you'll need such a device. Although I activated mine using a Carista dongle and app.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

S Hi gray99

Do you know if theres much of a difference between what the Carista and VCDS can do with the car?

Thanks John

We supply/fit subject to location.

S Hi gray99

Do you know if theres much of a difference between what the Carista and VCDS can do with the car?

Thanks John

Oh yes, Carista should be considered as a handy scan tool to read module faults and if paying more, to implement some changes, so is very suitable for someone with very little technical "prowess" and does not cost much. VCDS costs a lot more but it can do a lot more, basically same as VAG dealer's diagnostic tool with a few omissions like coding new keys from scratch. I have VCDS for use at home and Carista for the glovebox when away from home without laptop.

Reactions: gray99y
Hi rum4mo

Ive manage to get a program VCDS 11.11.3 onto my laptop do you know if I can just buy a cable off the internet or is it a specific cable need for the program to work??

Thanks John

That version of VCDS is not what you would find on the RossTech website, so either it is a "hooky" copy or what VCDS Lite uses. As such its programming ability will be very limited, personally I don't know what is anything it will be able to do. With the latest versions of VCDS, the legit ones, the licence is held within the cable form dongle - who knows what you will get with an aftermarket cable. I think that you would be better either paying someone that has fully legal VCDS to make some changes, or buy Carista and pay each time you want to make changes.

Generally speaking, it is considered "bad form" to ask about getting VCDS to work without paying for it on any proper VAG car forum - with the exception of VCDS Lite if it still exists.

Hi rum4mo

I know its not a program from RossTech but it is a program from VAG Diagnostics Ltd so just just to let you know it not a hooky copy

cheers

I could be wrong, but I'd suspect there is not much difference between someone selling on old versions and being hooky? Also I think that I've read that they need to be avoided unless I'm very much mistaken - basically for the same reason!

Edit:- RossTech own all rights to VCDS full stop, they do have "on-sellers" all round the world, but these "on sellers" sell the real thing and not some old versions. Why you might think that if you paid some money to get that from VAG Diagnostics Ltd that would make it legal, beats me.

Another Edit:- from the horse's mouth -
"We've been trying to get this company for 2 years now. Our lawyers can't find them. Seems their web stuff is hosted from Sweden while they make it look like they are a UK company. Very sophisticated rip off artists. If we can find them, we hope to stop them from selling illegal copies of our product and making themselves look like they are Ross-Tech official distributor. THEY ARE NOT OFFICIAL ROSS-TECH! THEY ARE THIEVES!"

Last edited: