A3 1.8 s line quattro s tronic

Glarhzilla

Reaction score
Hi guys and gals
I'm after some Advice on the above car please
What things am I to look out for when viewing one? Any common problems? Any owners with one who could shed some light on how they find the car?

Appreciate it

Sent from my SM-N9208 using Tapatalk

Another question then. Are these not as common hence the lack of replies? If so is there a reason as to why there not common?
Thanks

Hi, I have a 1.8 TFSI manual FWD
I bought it because at the time, I needed a new car, it was petrol and manual which is what I wanted, local dealer had one on stock (A3s on stock were thin on the ground) and did me a really great deal and trade in on it.
I find it great to drive and get an indicated 41 mpg in mixed driving (39mpg calculated). Its quite an old engine and you do have to rev it to get the performance though. 1.8 with quattro and S-Tronic pushes economy down and possibly tax up. All this makes it a very expensive car to buy and more expensive to run compared to the other variants.
On paper it doesn't make sense to buy the 1.8. The 1.4 COD (with similar torque figure, better fuel economy, cheaper to buy, and tax).
or the 184 diesel (similar price and performance, much better torque, cheaper to tax and more economical). Either of these would be obvious alternatives depending on what you are after and both make more sense.
The new 2.0 TFSI shows far better torque and could be a winner, but may also be a rare beast for similar reasons.
I would say that there is no inherent reason not to buy the 1.8 - provided you get really really great deal on one.

Last edited:
Reactions: richinsoton, Scottyg, Glarhzilla and 1 other person
Thank you for the detailed input. Yeah I've noticed the tax is 180 for the quattro variant i think of which isn't too problematic. I currently drive a nackered old mazda 3 sport atm so want to upgrade to an a3 as I want abit of luxury. I was thinking about putting a dtuk box on as I've read somewhere that can take the power upto approx 250ish? I've seen audi have implemented the new 2.0 190ps engine. Looks sweet but I'd be looking at buying used at the money.

Again thanks for your input

Reactions: pburv
As with all petrol Audi's it's important to know what service schedule it's on ie Long LIfe(on board computer sets service interval) or Fixed(every twelve months)..If I was thinking of buying a used A3 I would be looking for one with a 'fixed' service schedule...I have had an engine let go due to oil starvation of the top end..This was due to the car being on a Long Life service..Old oil built up so much 'sludge' it blocked the oil pick up pipe..
So appart from the obvious when buying second hand take a close look at the service schedule..:friends:
On a slightly different note I had An A4 1.8 quattro sport on a 52 plate Longitudinal engine (not the A3 transverse engine) and had no issues with it at all...I do believe they share the same engine block? don't quote me on that...lol
Good look matey and let us all know how you get on...:yes:

Reactions: rasA4, Scottyg and Glarhzilla
As with all petrol Audi's it's important to know what service schedule it's on ie Long LIfe(on board computer sets service interval) or Fixed(every twelve months)..If I was thinking of buying a used A3 I would be looking for one with a 'fixed' service schedule...I have had an engine let go due to oil starvation of the top end..This was due to the car being on a Long Life service..Old oil built up so much 'sludge' it blocked the oil pick up pipe..
So appart from the obvious when buying second hand take a close look at the service schedule..:friends:
On a slightly different note I had An A4 1.8 quattro sport on a 52 plate Longitudinal engine (not the A3 transverse engine) and had no issues with it at all...I do believe they share the same engine block? don't quote me on that...lol
Good look matey and let us all know how you get on...:yes:
Cheers bud. I'm sure the 1.8 in the 8v is the gen3 e888 engine (probly wrong code) and I think from what I have read is a good engine so far....I say so far it's been out for a while lol. But yeah my friend has the same engine in his new leon and feels really nice and pulls well. With regard to the service thing you mentioned is this able to be viewed on the cars system by my self or is it something that would be set up via dealer on to be seen in paper work? Sorry if this sounds gormless lol I'm trying to educate myself as I go along on what to look for etc.

Cheers

I think @Matt Titanium sums it up prefectly. The 1.8 is a compromise. I'd go with the above suggestions over the 1.8.
You would go with the 1.4 or the 184 diesel.? I did look at the 184 prior to 1.8 but I don't feel I do enough miles to justify the diesel plus dpf problems. Unless this is a thing of the past?
Cheers

Cheers bud. I'm sure the 1.8 in the 8v is the gen3 e888 engine (probly wrong code) and I think from what I have read is a good engine so far....I say so far it's been out for a while lol. But yeah my friend has the same engine in his new leon and feels really nice and pulls well. With regard to the service thing you mentioned is this able to be viewed on the cars system by my self or is it something that would be set up via dealer on to be seen in paper work? Sorry if this sounds gormless lol I'm trying to educate myself as I go along on what to look for etc.

Cheers

Ha Ha...I'm pretty gormless myself..lol
I think you can see the service shcedule on the mmi screen in the car set up page..(I'm not sure)...The service record /book if there's one with the car will be an indicator as to whether it's been serviced annually..I think all Audi's from factory have the service schedule set to 'Long Life'.The dealer will be able to set it to 'fixed' free of charged if asked by the owner..:friends:

Reactions: Glarhzilla
Ha Ha...I'm pretty gormless myself..lol
I think you can see the service shcedule on the mmi screen in the car set up page..(I'm not sure)...The service record /book if there's one with the car will be an indicator as to whether it's been serviced annually..I think all Audi's from factory have the service schedule set to 'Long Life'.The dealer will be able to set it to 'fixed' free of charged if asked by the owner..:friends:
Lol nice one when I find the right one I'll do some digging and ask. Otherwise can they just be serviced yearly? I do this with all cars I've ever owned. Just for piece of mind and to have some form mantience regime. Also if you know at all. The s tronic and quattro need servicing every 40k miles?

Thanks

Should be easily tuneable and able to take it (around 235 BHP stock in the TT?) I've never considered doing that sort of thing myself but the 1.8 and quattro would make perfect sense if you are going that way. I would say that condition and service history are more important when buying used anyway.
No service book for Arthur Daley to stamp with his John Bull printing set these days, all on computer and printed receipts.

Reactions: Glarhzilla and pburv
You would go with the 1.4 or the 184 diesel.? I did look at the 184 prior to 1.8 but I don't feel I do enough miles to justify the diesel plus dpf problems. Unless this is a thing of the past?
Cheers

The missus has a Seat Leon with the 1.4 cod engine...It's only got 150 bhp but I find it quite a nippy car if you give it some revs....Nice engine in my opinion...:hi:

Reactions: glospete and Glarhzilla
Should be easily tuneable and able to take it (around 235 BHP stock in the TT?) I've never considered doing that sort of thing myself but the 1.8 and quattro would make perfect sense if you are going that way. I would say that condition and service history are more important when buying used anyway.
No service book for Arthur Daley to stamp with his John Bull printing set these days, all on computer and printed receipts.
Appreciate that mate. So to confirm it's all digital the service history? In the sense you get a print off to show what services it has had etc? If so my mazda is done that way. Can you also tell via the mmi? Again sorry for the questions just keen to get my knowledge upto scratch before the dealers try and blag me.

The missus has a Seat Leon with the 1.4 cod engine...It's only got 150 bhp but I find it quite a nippy car if you give it some revs....Nice engine in my opinion...:hi:
Yeah I did think this originally but part of me has always wanted to get something that I could map/tuning box to over 200 as my mazda is slow and not very responsive. Not sure why that figure in my mind. Just something I was aiming for. I suppose it may come from when I have my civic type r I loved the power just not the 285 tax.

Cheers

Yeah, I'd take either over the 1.8. Preferably the 184 derv. I'm in a TDI and do 6-7k a year. Never had any issues. I've had all Derv's bar 2 in the last 9 cars. All with same mileage and still no DPF issues. Go with the 184 Quattro. You won't be disappointed.

Reactions: pburv and Glarhzilla
The other half does 4 miles a day in her Mondeo diesel. She takes the long route home on Saturdays and this helps prevent any DPF prob's. Its only an issue if you don't know what to do. Shes been doing this for 15+ months​

Yeah, I'd take either over the 1.8. Preferably the 184 derv. I'm in a TDI and do 6-7k a year. Never had any issues. I've had all Derv's bar 2 in the last 9 cars. All with same mileage and still no DPF issues. Go with the 184 Quattro. You won't be disappointed.
Okay so now I'm interested. I hear that with a dtuk box these have about 500nm of torque? Okay so I'll have a gander at 184s also. Are these circa 30 tax? Or 110 with quattro? If I remember rightly

The other half does 4 miles a day in her Mondeo diesel. She takes the long route home on Saturdays and this helps prevent any DPF prob's. Its only an issue if you don't know what to do. Shes been doing this for 15+ months​
Okay so this and a previous post has proved my thinking wrong. I will look into the 184 aswell then. Anything specific to watch out with that model?

Are you looking to buy the car outright? also how long are you intending to keep it for?

Reactions: Glarhzilla
Are you looking to buy the car outright? also how long are you intending to keep it for?
Yeah mate looking to buy it out right and run it till it can't go no more. Lol. In theory of course. Why?

No that's OK then, I was going to say if you were looking to change every couple of years then a PCP/lease may have been cheaper and get you into a new car, so no need to worry about things breaking.

Not to mention sometimes a higher spec car can work out cheaper!!!

*** Quick Example***:

Reactions: rasA4, pburv and Glarhzilla
No that's OK then, I was going to say if you were looking to change every couple of years then a PCP/lease may have been cheaper and get you into a new car, so no need to worry about thing breaking.

*** Quick Example***:

View attachment 100709 View attachment 100710
Cheers for that mate I appreciate that. They look good don't they. Looking at those made me think hmm maybe s3 in pcp. Lol need to be abit more sensible lol. I think. Again I appreciate the input.

No worries, it just reminded me of a mate a few years back. He went in looking to buy a 3 year old TT (some was cash some was finance) with the idea to keep it until it was paid for and then do the same again. He came out with a brand new one for about the same payments as what the 3 year old one would have cost him!

No worries, it just reminded me of a mate a few years back. He went in looking to buy a 3 year old TT (some was cash some was finance) with the idea to keep it until it was paid for and then do the same again. He came out with a brand new one for about the same payments as what the 3 year old one would have cost him!
Yeah I had a look on car wow and drive the deal to see what was about regarding the new 2.0 s line. But with out any options it was too far off what I wanted. But still the search continues. Lol. Thanks bud

Yeah I had a look on car wow and drive the deal to see what was about regarding the new 2.0 s line. But with out any options it was too far off what I wanted. But still the search continues. Lol. Thanks bud

We'll see! This forum has a bad habit of separating you from your hard earned cash...lol
Upload 2016 8 21 16 49 21

Reactions: Scottyg and Glarhzilla
Also what does the comfort pack consist of? If any one knows

I'm really happy with my 1.8 FWD (never driven a quattro), the 1.4 is a great engine too and surprisingly pokey in test drive but when I drove the 1.8 after it seemed to have more at the top end which was noticeable.
The 1.8 like a lot of engines seemed to be under-rated on power from the factory, owners that have put their stock cars on dynos seem to achieve around ~200bhp and ~270bhp in stage 2 form (I've achieved 210bhp with a cat-back exhaust being my only mod at the time). Against a mates mk6 GTI theres nothing much in it in terms of pace.
Economy on the motorway is always in the 40's which is good too.
If you don't rev your car out often, consider the 1.4 as it has similar mid-range power and better economy, dont be turned away from its relatively small displacement - someone could tell you its a 1.8/2.0 and you wouldnt doubt them!
If you do the mileage by the diesel, great engines also.

Reactions: glospete, pburv and Glarhzilla
If you are planning on tuning then quattro is the way to go. I would say that FWD would be stretched above 200BHP. If you like to push on around twisty roads and are going STronic, the occasional witless cog down and surge in power is more likely to land you in trouble with FWD. As SJ says, the 1.8 is a bit of a peaky engine, but much more rewarding to drive than either the 1.4 or the narrow rev and power band of the diesel.
My original comment was my thoughts on the reasons why so few 1.8s sold new, but for a used buy to tune to mid 200s if you don't care about manufacturer's warranty, 1.8 quattro would produce a better result than the 1.4 or 184. IMHO - if you can find one.
But if your'e going to do that, why not buy a used S3 - just avoid buying one that has been tuned to 500BHP, half knackered then returned to stock before being handed back to the finance company.

Reactions: richinsoton, pburv and Glarhzilla
No that's OK then, I was going to say if you were looking to change every couple of years then a PCP/lease may have been cheaper and get you into a new car, so no need to worry about things breaking.

*** Quick Example***:

Those quotes are crazy. The other way round they make sense but............you'd take the S3 every day of the week.

what type are you looking at used 3 door 5door or Saloon? if its the latter they are few and far between

*** Quick Example***:

@S32B what website is this? also with PCP is this only worth it if you want keep changing your car?

what type are you looking at used 3 door 5door or Saloon? if its the latter they are few and far between
Hi mate. Ideally the sport back. I've found a saloon but I don't know what sort of price they should be. I'll post a link

@S32B what website is this? also with PCP is this only worth it if you want keep changing your car?
From a lease site only, not a PCP deal www.selectcarleasing.co.uk

PCP gives you three option: trade in and start again, give the car back and walk away, pay the outstanding amount and keep the car. Some people don't want to consonantly pay for a car, if that's the case a PCP deal is not for you.

Reactions: rasA4 and pburv