Whining noise

Hoopdee89

Reaction score
I have a 2000 Audi S3 pre-facelift it's also a Quattro. When I'm driving there is a whining noise coming from the asst end. When I'm pressing on the gas it doesn't do it when I let go of the gas it starts to whine again. Few people are telling me that it might be my rear differential. I need help from anyone that knows about Audi's which I believe I'm in the right place

Attachments

• 14699506159221333893443.jpg
    14699506159221333893443.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 104
Does sound like the rear diff, might be wise to change the oil, whilst your at it, replace the haldex oil and filter too, or could possibly be a rear wheel bearing.

I had this, when accelerating no whine, on overrun it whined, thought it was my rear diff, changed the oil, still happened, changed the rear tyres and it stopped. It's caused by bad geometry causing "castellation" on the tread which makes the noise.

Yeah, seems to be worse with directional tyres I found.

Ended up changing all four wheel bearings still making the noise I'm about to change though rear diff oil what is the healthiest oil and filter and where is it located I'm new to the audi game. Also what kind of tires did you end up using to get rid of the noise. Mainly looking for all reason tires

tyres had same problem get them swapped for some continental ones the rubber is softer