S3 8v Manual noise disappointment :( HELP Am i the only one?

Dannyp094

Reaction score
I've had my S3 from new (march 16) after ordering it test-driving the DSG model but decided to go manual for the divers feel...
i have to say march the 1st was a very disappointing day for me, got in the car selected dynamic (its always in dynamic) put my foot down and it was silent! :( i have now done nearly 5000 miles in it, people on this forum told me it got louder after more milage. guess what...still silent. (I have done the exhaust flap mod) and its in next weekend for a stage 1...

Im 22 Years old have owned modified cars since i started driving, I'm not boy racer but i will admit i do still pop down to the local car meet on a sunday night, i actually went just last night just to have a gander and take in that sweet smell of burning rubber. Then i seen the new Focus ST, BMW 135m, a45AMG, C63AMG and another S3 8v ect ect...not all at the same time, but all went down the "strip" (every car meet has one) And the noise coming off these cars is incredible for standard exhausts, pops bangs farts ect...
i was gutted!
I know everyones going to say why not put an exhaust on it or resonator delete ect.
i bought one of these cars because i was fed up of "modifying" pulled over every two minutes, after market parts not fitting well scene tax and all the rest of it.

One of my friends recently got a S3 DSG S-tronic model and the sound comparison is a complete letdown (even in an underground carpark)
i honestly feel sometimes I'm driving an A3 with a bit more power.
Slightly regret getting rid of my leon cupra FR.

I am hoping I'm not alone with regretting buying a manual and I'm wondering what other people have done to change this. I don't want a stupidly loud car again i just want something with more ooompfff when putting your foot down when you want the grumble but quiet when you want it to be...
Cheers guys! rant over!

It's always different being in a car and outside a car to hear what the noise sounds like, maybe try getting one of your mates to have a whizz past you and see what you think. You need to remember the S3 is a much more refined car than the others you have mentioned above. It sounds to me like you were expecting something much different to what you got, the S3 will be quiet unless you really are giving it some welly!

Reactions: TDI-line and Jassyo06
So going by your write up was the DSG one you test drove "louder" ?

You will always be disappointed comparing a 2 litre turbo to the likes of a C63 AMG.

Reactions: azibux1
I too have a Manual S3, mine was new in December. Has 3000 miles on it now so should be bed in a little.

I've found no issues like you're describing, in fact I find the car is a little loud at times. Turbo cars always have a sort of quietness (if left standard) about them, more of a jet noise when on full boost as they go past, yes there's engine noise but all you hear is exhaust when you are behind one or its driving by.

It's only a 2 litre engine and as others have said it's not that big an engine to warrant so sort of growl about it. The RS3 now that would.

I do think that the S3 Stronic sounds weird, farting as it changes gear, I know it sounds good when in the car but in my manual, plus the engagement of driving it gives. I'm old skool.

Can of worms opened on manual vs s-tronic. No offence to those with Auto's.

G

It's always different being in a car and outside a car to hear what the noise sounds like, maybe try getting one of your mates to have a whizz past you and see what you think. You need to remember the S3 is a much more refined car than the others you have mentioned above. It sounds to me like you were expecting something much different to what you got, the S3 will be quiet unless you really are giving it some welly!

Ive had a couple of my mates do a drive by while I'm out of the car... still nothing compared with my mates DSG and I'm a 22 year old kid into cars, i give it nothing but the welly it deserves...

So going by your write up was the DSG one you test drove "louder" ?
Yes the DSG was louder, Pops bangs even more of a general exhaust note...

Reactions: Bittern
I was a little disappointed when I first got mine, but I must say after 2600 miles, I love it. it sounds powerful and the exhaust pops away if I really want it to.

I wonder if there is something wrong with yours? Can you compare to someone else with a manual?

Ive got a manual.
its definitely got louder .... Now on 5000 miles.

Never made the exhaust pop tho!

Im very happy with its general sound.

I was a little disappointed when I first got mine, but I must say after 2600 miles, I love it. it sounds powerful and the exhaust pops away if I really want it to.

I wonder if there is something wrong with yours? Can you compare to someone else with a manual?

Literally sounds like an angry fart in the wind. Nothing to write home about, may get the odd nice note out but it's only for a second.
I don't know anyone else with a manual

I'm not into the tuning scene but I imagine there are tuners out there that could program in the 'pops' and 'bangs' you are after....

Reactions: Rob2k68
It's one of the reasons I got rid of mine, it's too quiet in any of the driving modes .. I guess what can you expect from a 4 pot turbo motor, I don't think any of them have character, all you can expect is a tuneless loud blare with some manufactured pops and crackles :whistle2: not for me thanks .. if you're looking for a good exhaust note look elsewhere for something with more (or less) cylinders ..

Maybe it's just me but I don't get the hang up sone of you have with the sound your car makes.

It's nice to have a bit of engine noise to get heads turning but.... As long as the engine performance is what I want I could not get a hoot what the engine sounds like....btw I have internal engine noise on my S3 turned down to minimum or whatever the setting is

Reactions: Soulboy and pburv
What the OP needs is this!.... :laughing:

Reactions: David83S3, glasgowdubber, Dannyp094 and 2 others
A upgraded exhaust that will really help as will the stage 1 engine upgrade,it's really common knowledge that drive select modes work best with s-tronic gearbox but even then from the inside of the car...it's still muted somewhat,l find my car somewhat boomy now especially on the motorway at say 70 mph bit irritating really and yeah it's got a lot louder after 9k miles

Reactions: pburv
On my S3 8p stage 1 made it quite a bit louder.

I'm more than happy with the 8v though. Intake mod, jb1 and flaps open and it makes a nice noise but I wouldn't mind if it was louder

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

I'll quite happily admit the sound a car makes is one of the most important things to consider when I choose a car, I'd much much rather drive something slower as long as it sounds nicer.

Pretty sure an S3/Golf R would tear a 5.0 v8 Mustang a new one, but there's no competition for me if I had to own one. The mustang will be fun and sound awesome at any speed, full on, or just cruising around. The S3/R won't, and you may as well be in a 1.4 around town.

Each to their own though, if the only thing that matters to you is 0-60, going full out everywhere or on paper statistics then fair play, we all have different things that float our boat :happy:

Reactions: batch, Dannyp094 and pburv
Also the S3 picks up speed so quickly if you try and use the loud pedal you're breaking any speed limits in no time

Reactions: Gazjs, Zak0123, pburv and 1 other person
I expect a Mustang v8 to sound like a v8 with a nice growl. I expect a Audi RS car to have a more vocal exhaust too. From all the S3 I've heard they sound nice, not too brash just what you expect from an Audi S car. If people want something noisier then they should either mod/tune their cars or look elsewhere! I'd rather not have my neighbours getting ****** off because I start the engine at 6am and it wakes up the entire neighbourhood!
That and smallish cars making too much noise are just naff...

Reactions: Daveotto and pburv
The RS3 has the sound you are looking for!

Reactions: Dannyp094, TheFiftheElement, pburv and 1 other person
Also the S3 picks up speed so quickly if you try and use the loud pedal you're breaking any speed limits in no time

Exactly! Even to get the slightest noise it of it your doing silly speeds high revs in 2nd gear!

The thing is I don't actually see a difference In mine and a 1.4 TSI noise. And I'm not on about engine noise there's enough of that I'm on about exhaust noise... You see the S badge and you think its got power, looks and then all of a sudden it sounds like a hybrid going down the road. That's not what it's all about!
They make the S and the RS because they appel to the car enthusiast... Well they used too.
If I could afford the fuel and the actual car I would have probably got the Rs3. I fact I think I would have saved some money and got the focus RS...
But I really liked the 3 door kind of hatch looking car and I'm still younge so thought why not.
Will keep you guys updated after stage 1. If nothing's changed and I don't think it will I'll probably be taking out the centre box!

I myself have an s-tronic S3 and it's currently got 4100 miles on the clock, it sounds absolutely brilliant when under a little load.

I've a friend with a manual Golf R and another has a manual S3, both do seem quieter by comparison, especially the Golf.

I'm really not sure why this is though?
Maybe get it looked at if it's as quiet as you say!

Reactions: Dannyp094
I've had my S3 from new (march 16) after ordering it test-driving the DSG model but decided to go manual for the divers feel...
i have to say march the 1st was a very disappointing day for me, got in the car selected dynamic (its always in dynamic) put my foot down and it was silent! :( i have now done nearly 5000 miles in it, people on this forum told me it got louder after more milage. guess what...still silent. (I have done the exhaust flap mod) and its in next weekend for a stage 1...

Im 22 Years old have owned modified cars since i started driving, I'm not boy racer but i will admit i do still pop down to the local car meet on a sunday night, i actually went just last night just to have a gander and take in that sweet smell of burning rubber. Then i seen the new Focus ST, BMW 135m, a45AMG, C63AMG and another S3 8v ect ect...not all at the same time, but all went down the "strip" (every car meet has one) And the noise coming off these cars is incredible for standard exhausts, pops bangs farts ect...
i was gutted!
I know everyones going to say why not put an exhaust on it or resonator delete ect.
i bought one of these cars because i was fed up of "modifying" pulled over every two minutes, after market parts not fitting well scene tax and all the rest of it.

One of my friends recently got a S3 DSG S-tronic model and the sound comparison is a complete letdown (even in an underground carpark)
i honestly feel sometimes I'm driving an A3 with a bit more power.
Slightly regret getting rid of my leon cupra FR.

I am hoping I'm not alone with regretting buying a manual and I'm wondering what other people have done to change this. I don't want a stupidly loud car again i just want something with more ooompfff when putting your foot down when you want the grumble but quiet when you want it to be...
Cheers guys! rant over!
Hello mate. Can't speak with any experience of manual 8V S3s, however my S-Tronic sounds much nicer with only INTAKE side mods. I have fitted a VWR R600 intake, Forge intake pipe and CTS Turbo inlet elbow, and the increased airflow has really changed the exhaust note. It can be persuaded to sound quite anti-social now!
Worth looking into?

Reactions: sjbarneS3, pburv and Jassyo06
Under power the noise from a manual or an automatic (tee hee) is exactly the same. They have identical exhaust systems. The manual doesn't have the autoblipper for downshifts and the engine cut out on upshifts other than that the sounds the same. Plus it doesn't get any louder with age unless the silencer is knackered, just that you tend to give it the beans a little more.
All turbo cars suffer from restricted sound.

I'm manual and mine sounds lovely. I do have the forge carbon intake, forge intake pipe and CTS turbo inlet pipe. Soon to have the CTS turbo outlet, CTS throttle pipe, scorpion decat down pipe and stage 2. Sure it will sound even better then.

I cant speak about the differences between S tronic and manual cars, but the stock exhaust should improve with age as the miles build and the exhaust beds in.

Mine has got better with age, 5k, 10k, 15k etc. Comfort vs Dynamic also makes a difference. It doesnt make the kind of sound that u get from a 5 or 6 pot engine but it still has some decent tones to it.

One thing to bare in mind is certain rev ranges and speeds along with how much throttle travel you have all make a distinct difference to the tone of the exhaust. If I hold the gears up between 3k and 4.5k revs with about 20-30% throttle response mine makes a lovely tone. Its taken me some time to figure this out. Each car will be slightly different but it might take u a litle time to find the sweet spots when you are not on full throttle with yours. Full throttle should always sound good. Just a shame that full throttle means u hit crazy speeds very quickly so u cant always enjoy the sound with the window down.

Another thing to try which increases the sound / noise of the stock exhaust is to remove the plugs at the back of the system or use VCDS to keep them open. Its very personal- some love it others hate it.

Exhaust flaps open mode - VCDS - ( saves manually disconnecting the flaps for those that want a louder fruitier exhaust note- also ensures no VCDS error codes when manually removing and taping up etc )- thx to RGS3 for this.

Exhaust flaps all open

===================
1 – Engine module
Long coding
Exhaust Flaps deactivate
Byte 9
Bit 2 - Exhaust Flaps installed check box default activated – deactivate it and save as usual.

Here is what my exhaust sounds like- ( mine is the DSG though) its no 5 or 6 pot but sounds better than I thought it would from the outside. DSG farts as well!

Enjoy
Jungle

Reactions: S3drew, Nikon, zippster and 1 other person
Under power the noise from a manual or an automatic (tee hee) is exactly the same. They have identical exhaust systems. The manual doesn't have the autoblipper for downshifts and the engine cut out on upshifts other than that the sounds the same. Plus it doesn't get any louder with age unless the silencer is knackered, just that you tend to give it the beans a little more.
All turbo cars suffer from restricted sound.

Rubbish...every sporty car Ive had has sounded better with a few thousand miles under its belt.

Reactions: OliS3
I cant speak about the differences between S tronic and manual cars, but the stock exhaust should improve with age as the miles build and the exhaust beds in.

Mine has got better with age, 5k, 10k, 15k etc. Comfort vs Dynamic also makes a difference. It doesnt make the kind of sound that u get from a 5 or 6 pot engine but it still has some decent tones to it.

One thing to bare in mind is certain rev ranges and speeds along with how much throttle travel you have all make a distinct difference to the tone of the exhaust. If I hold the gears up between 3k and 4.5k revs with about 20-30% throttle response mine makes a lovely tone. Its taken me some time to figure this out. Each car will be slightly different but it might take u a litle time to find the sweet spots when you are not on full throttle with yours. Full throttle should always sound good. Just a shame that full throttle means u hit crazy speeds very quickly so u cant always enjoy the sound with the window down.

Another thing to try which increases the sound / noise of the stock exhaust is to remove the plugs at the back of the system or use VCDS to keep them open. Its very personal- some love it others hate it.

Exhaust flaps open mode - VCDS - ( saves manually disconnecting the flaps for those that want a louder fruitier exhaust note- also ensures no VCDS error codes when manually removing and taping up etc )- thx to RGS3 for this.

Exhaust flaps all open

===================
1 – Engine module
Long coding
Exhaust Flaps deactivate
Byte 9
Bit 2 - Exhaust Flaps installed check box default activated – deactivate it and save as usual.

Here is what my exhaust sounds like- ( mine is the DSG though) its no 5 or 6 pot but sounds better than I thought it would from the outside. DSG farts as well!

Enjoy
Jungle

Great vid Jungle...:friends:
Music to my ears ...lol

Reactions: zippster
All the sound junkies better make the most of it now, as it won't be long till we are whooshing along quietly Tesla style.

Just look at how many performance car manufacturers are planning electric models.

It is the future....like it or not.

Great vid jungle...Always wondered what the DSG farts sounded like from the outside

Mine farts and pops all over the place, 476miles in and all I've done is remove the snowgrate, itg drop in panel filter and a CTS inlet pipe installed..

Assuming it's only going to get louder by the sounds of this thread!

Can of worms opened on manual vs s-tronic. No offence to those with Auto's.

G

I've been debating going s-tronic for a while now but in the back of my mind think/feel that I'd miss the manual interaction! Last night I saw a mate in work that has had a Scirocco R DSG for a few months, I asked how he was getting on with it bla bla bla. Then I threw in what would you get next time, another DSG or a manual? Instantly he said manual, when I asked why he said "More involvement". So I think my mind is made upl :) (for now anyway :p).

Reactions: richinsoton and pburv
Great vid jungle...Always wondered what the DSG farts sounded like from the outside

Mine farts and pops all over the place, 476miles in and all I've done is remove the snowgrate, itg drop in panel filter and a CTS inlet pipe installed..

Assuming it's only going to get louder by the sounds of this thread!
Mix a few of these with the fuel it should sound 'mega'...lol
Upload 2016 7 6 17 13 37

Reactions: zippster
All the sound junkies better make the most of it now, as it won't be long till we are whooshing along quietly Tesla style.

Just look at how many performance car manufacturers are planning electric models.

It is the future....like it or not.
No doubt they will replace the noise with something artificial.....:concern:

Ha Ha ...Forgot about that...lol

It's all quite ironic (and sad) really, some people moaning the car is not noisy enough and in the next breath people (and maybe the same people) moaning that their tyres are to noisy.....just turn the music volume up....on second thoughts forget that as we get into a std v Audi v b and o sound system debate ....I will get my coat

Btw .....there was a post/thread on here a year or so back about a sound box that plugged into you stereo and played back your choice of engine note as you were driving ...pmsl at the thought of a Citroen C1 with the sound of a Merc C63 booming out of the huge speakers taking up the rear seats

Reactions: S3drew, richinsoton and pburv