2002 Audi s3 Lower control arms

hamoudiee

Reaction score
Hey I was just wondering if 2002 Audi A3 lower control arms are compatible with a 2002 Audi S3 ?
Thanks for the help

I assume you mean front arms, if so then no... S3 arms are different to A3 ones

<tuffty/>

I assume you mean front arms, if so then no... S3 arms are different to A3 ones

<tuffty/>
Yeah because I can't seem to find any front lcas for a s3 but the a3 ones are everywhere and look the same

The standard A3 arms (2WD and Quattro) are pressed, the S3 has solid cast arms (as do R32/TT/LCR)

Whilst pressed unit could be fitted, they would worsen your front geometry

Different ball joints are required for the pressed arms too

The standard A3 arms (2WD and Quattro) are pressed, the S3 has solid cast arms (as do R32/TT/LCR)

Whilst pressed unit could be fitted, they would worsen your front geometry

Different ball joints are required for the pressed arms too
Sorts that out thanks mate

try gumtree - you should be able to find a couple wrecking TT's / S3's to source parts from

Reactions: snowy
correct - quattro TT under the bonnet and below the wheels are all interchangeable

I'm from Australia so it would cost me close to $300 a corner which is very expensive

The Lemforder units are even more new (Left/Right)
If you where planning on using stock bushes then Lemforder will be better than Vetech

If you're changing existing arms on an S3 due to worn bushes, I'd look at replacing bushes

If not 2nd hand arms make more sense imho

For ref; I'm doing a cast wishbone conversion at the mo (on to an A3 Quattro)
£270 in parts:
£95 for 2nd hand arms (ebay) + £45 for new meyle balljoints + £45 Superpro SPF3394K + £85 Superpro SPF3397K

All at what I'd consider buy-it-now type UK prices
This is also a castor corrected setup - eg better than stock S3 geometry

The Lemforder units are even more new (Left/Right)
If you where planning on using stock bushes then Lemforder will be better than Vetech

If you're changing existing arms on an S3 due to worn bushes, I'd look at replacing bushes

If not 2nd hand arms make more sense imho

For ref; I'm doing a cast wishbone conversion at the mo (on to an A3 Quattro)
£270 in parts:
£95 for 2nd hand arms (ebay) + £45 for new meyle balljoints + £45 Superpro SPF3394K + £85 Superpro SPF3397K

All at what I'd consider buy-it-now type UK prices
This is also a castor corrected setup - eg better than stock S3 geometry

You'll need the hubs also, if you haven't got them already?..

If you're starting with an S3, you'd already have them

Otherwise I'd select a hub based on desired ride height

If you're starting from an A3 for example, and not planning on lowering ride height, then not needed

If lowering then, yes helpful

However a lowered car with cast wishbones and without TT hubs will still be a substanstial improvement over pressed arms, particularly with castor correction bushes

If you're starting with an S3, you'd already have them

Otherwise I'd select a hub based on desired ride height

If you're starting from an A3 for example, and not planning on lowering ride height, then not needed

If lowering then, yes helpful

However a lowered car with cast wishbones and without TT hubs will still be a substanstial improvement over pressed arms, particularly with castor correction bushes

Obviously... I'm talking about your A3 though

As far as I'm aware, TT/S3 hubs have a different roll center from A3 hubs... Switching just arms will put this roll center out. . . Really you need to change the hubs over as well as the arms, regardless of ride height.

Perhaps @Prawn or @badger5 can confirm this?......

Switching arms without adjusting height and changing hubs will not detrimentally change your roll center

As you lower though, so the balljoint mounting position should be moved forward and down, so the wishbone angle remains the same

There is 'sweet range' in terms of angle which the wishbones operate best, too flat or too steep is not good

When getting below the comfort range of the TT hub you've got like the USRT roll-center adjustment balljoints coming into play