Recolouring the Red badge accent

Chrishuddie

A3 S-line
Reaction score
has anybody tried this?, when you look close the red square with the Half S cutout on the S3/S-Line etc badges it looks almost as though it is a peice of plastic or something cut around the S and gently slotted into the embossed square space with some adhesive.

Has anyone attempted or and even succesfully managed to recolour one? Without it being shi... Rubbish and peeling etc etc as it is a pretty tough area to paint nicely?? Vinyl, Paint, Re-Cut and wrapped the squared cutout, anything really?

I only ask as you pretty much just see the silver/black badge with a red accent inside. Could be cool for someone to get a CAD cutout remove the accent and replace it with a new one in some whacky colours and fancy coatings or powdercoatings anything really, The small details to match alloy or caliper colours etc could be nice eh

Buy some vinyl off ebay amd do it yourself, i done it with my my mrs lupo gti because it was faded. I got a sheet from ebay for a couple of quid

Just stick it on, Warm it up and stanley knife around the S and raised edge?
I just got a bit of paper and got the right size and cut it with a craft knife, you get plenty so you can practice first bit its simple to do

Reactions: Verse1
has anybody tried this?, when you look close the red square with the Half S cutout on the S3/S-Line etc badges it looks almost as though it is a peice of plastic or something cut around the S and gently slotted into the embossed square space with some adhesive.

Has anyone attempted or and even succesfully managed to recolour one? Without it being shi... Rubbish and peeling etc etc as it is a pretty tough area to paint nicely?? Vinyl, Paint, Re-Cut and wrapped the squared cutout, anything really?

I only ask as you pretty much just see the silver/black badge with a red accent inside. Could be cool for someone to get a CAD cutout remove the accent and replace it with a new one in some whacky colours and fancy coatings or powdercoatings anything really, The small details to match alloy or caliper colours etc could be nice eh

I'm looking to do this soon as it happens. Haven't decided the method, but I can imagine spraying will be difficult especially if badges are still on the car. I think I will try with vinyl and use a Stanley knife to trim it.

I think i'll do the same DJ, I'll try some vinyl wrap whilst it's on the car, try and cut it very gently with a Stanley once it's on, then touch over with some clear lacquer very kindly borrowing a nail varnish brush. - I'll post the outcome at some point lol.

Reactions: DJ_26
If you want to have a go at painting it, use Hammerite Smooth paint with a brush. The oe badges don't fade in my experience, only the cheap Ebay copies fade.

Reactions: S.
I'd not dare do that, Don't think my hand is ooer let's word this properly... precise enough to hammerite it without painting everything and there dog

If you want to have a go at painting it, use Hammerite Smooth paint with a brush. The oe badges don't fade in my experience, only the cheap Ebay copies fade.

Good shout with Hammerite, but I think colour choice might be limited. Also agree about the fading, my badges are still a strong red except for one of them which has slightly peeled because of the pressure washer when I first started using one, use a much lower pressure with a variable nozzle now.

Dont use wrap film, use a regular cast vinyl.
The adhesive on wrap film can be an issue on such small pieces and can be harder to get a nice clean cut. As said above use a sharp hobby knife and you'll be right.

Good shout with Hammerite, but I think colour choice might be limited. Also agree about the fading, my badges are still a strong red except for one of them which has slightly peeled because of the pressure washer when I first started using one, use a much lower pressure with a variable nozzle now.

My daughter can do little jobs like that for me, she has a lot of patience. I'd mess it up as well if I did it.

My daughter can do little jobs like that for me, she has a lot of patience. I'd mess it up as well if I did it.
Fair play, as long as she is happy to do it and does a good job, it's all good!