facelift lights on a 1999 A3?

matt5594

Reaction score
will facelift headlights from an A3 fit into a pre-facelift without any hacking of the bodywork, i think i read somewhere that S3 lights need hacking up but wondering if this was also true for facelift A3s?

hacking isnt really accurate, but you need to remove come metal from the outer wing for them to fit. this is easily doable. Took me about 1.5 hours.

Rich

got any pics/guide of what needs to be removed?

i really want to replace these lights with the facelift ones with the clear glass as i want to retrofit xenons, dont really like the angel eye halo type lights that i've seen on ebay.

did you put A3 or S3 lights on your car? got part numbers?

I put A3 lights on my car.

Here is the link for you

Link

I dont have pics of what was removed, but its basically a bit of metal thats between the indicators and main housing on the pre-facelift, which isnt there on the post facelift. Its pretty simple. You also need to make yourself a loo which is really easy. Just requires some parts from Audi (plugs and cables) and then some soldering. Not hard at all!

RIch

Just fit HIDs to your non projectors.
I did and they are the nuts.
Best £145 I have spent, ask Sy

is the light output much worse when using non projectors? if its not too bad then it'll save the cost of the new lights + hacking up the car to fit!

Don't know anyone with HID equiped projectors to compare them with, sorry.
They make a huge difference in the non-projectors over standard bulbs.

RichA3Turbo said:

Here is the link for you

Link

I dont have pics of what was removed, but its basically a bit of metal thats between the indicators and main housing on the pre-facelift, which isnt there on the post facelift. Its pretty simple. You also need to make yourself a loo which is really easy. Just requires some parts from Audi (plugs and cables) and then some soldering. Not hard at all!

RIch

Are the angle of the beams okay?
Just i see they are from Germany, & they drive on the 'wrong' side of the road compared with us brits, lol.

Are the available anywhere in the UK?

Many thanks, Pete.

Pete69zx said:
Are the angle of the beams okay?
Just i see they are from Germany, & they drive on the 'wrong' side of the road compared with us brits, lol.

Are the available anywhere in the UK?

Many thanks, Pete.

Yep they are fine. They have switches to switch them for UK driving so are fine.

HID's in non projectors are OK, but not as good as in projectors. The best thing is to get the projectors (Facelift A3) and then fit an aftermarker HID kit - We sell them now..See the site!

Oh, i didn't see my mistake - Meant 'loom' not loo! lol

Rich

KEF A3 20V T said:

They look identical to a set i bough accidentally - They are not for RHD cars - There is no adjuster so wont work. Sold them to a UK guy with an A3 that was going to live in Europe!!

So i wouldn't but them. The only angel eyes ive seen for an A3 that will work on RHD are the FK Automotive versions.

Rich

from the auction it says that you have to specify if you want them for a left or right hand drive car!

RichA3Turbo said:

Here is the link for you

Link

RIch

Hello there Rich!

I'm thinking about the same thing, but did you purchase your facelift's from that seller? Can you enlighten me about the quality, fit and look of those lights as the price looks veeery interesting :yes:

Thanks

sjokolademelka said:
Hello there Rich!

I'm thinking about the same thing, but did you purchase your facelift's from that seller? Can you enlighten me about the quality, fit and look of those lights as the price looks veeery interesting :yes:

Thanks

Hi,

They are pattern replacement OEM parts. The quality is that of OEM basically! You would never be able to tell from looking at them that they arent OEM.

And yes i got them from this seller. They got to me in 2 days from Germany!

Rich

RichA3Turbo said:
Hi,

They are pattern replacement OEM parts. The quality is that of OEM basically! You would never be able to tell from looking at them that they arent OEM.

Rich
rich, what sort of bulbs do those lights use? would i still need to cut some of the outer wing to make them fit like the OEM ones?

how would my current h7/h4 (dipped/main) setup work with these or would i have to get a set of retrofit fog lights too?

YOu use H1/H7 as per OEM facelift lights. They are pattern replacements fro OEM lights so are identical in every way.

You lose the fogs, but then thats no huge deal really! You just lost that functionatlity unless you fancy fitting them.

Rich

can you elaborate on this a bit:
You also need to make yourself a loom which is really easy. Just requires some parts from Audi (plugs and cables) and then some soldering. Not hard at all!
do you have a list of part numbers of stuff i need to get from audi and a guide of some sort (with pictures would be good) to what needs solidering?

RichA3Turbo said:
Hi,

Rich

Yeah, I was impressed by the price they sat at, but had to verify these were the same as the ones I saw on your car. Nice piece of machinere bud. Keep it up, and thank you so much for the information.

Regards,
Richard.

sjokolademelka said:
Yeah, I was impressed by the price they sat at, but had to verify these were the same as the ones I saw on your car. Nice piece of machinere bud. Keep it up, and thank you so much for the information.

Regards,
Richard.

Thanks! :)

I'm taking some pics for Peter later on today. I will remove the loom i made from teh car and take some detailed pics fro you. I will also try and dig out the part numbers that are required for you. I think i'll make it a sticky topic too.

Cheers

Rich

RichA3Turbo said:
Thanks! :)

I'm taking some pics for Peter later on today. I will remove the loom i made from teh car and take some detailed pics fro you. I will also try and dig out the part numbers that are required for you. I think i'll make it a sticky topic too.

Cheers

Rich

Yay, that's something! :hubbahubba:

I'll be sure to surf on in here later on then.

-Richard.

I've made a sticky post in teh A3/S3 forum. See in the top section!