Correct tyre size for Audi A4 TDI B8

Yesvee

Reaction score
Hi
I'm thinking of replacing my Audi tyres, but read about insurance can be invalidated if we don't put manufacturer recommended tyre sizes. I'm a bit puzzled as I can't find this information in the manual or online. I have no idea what the manufacturer put initially as I'm not the first owner. The tyre size is 225/50/R17 but I'm not sure about the speed and load rating. Currently it has got a mix (98W XL, 98Y and 98V). In some forums people are expressing views as even going lower with speed rating is BIG CRIME. Can someone please advice.
Thanks

Yes, but the label shows 3 variants. 94Y, 98 W, 98Y. Does it mean they are all suitable. If yes which is better for fuel economy and longevity ?

You can put any tyres you want on as long as they are the same size as the originals and satisfy what the MOT regulations say. It all depends on what sort of driving you are doing. If you like to get your foot down and drive like a hooligan then obviously the posh (ie expensive) tyres are going to be better....but.....if you just want to get from A to B with a minimum of fuss then what's the point.

The OEM tyres on your particular B8 are Bridgestone Potenza R040/R050s (well that's what Audi fit at the moment...) In my experience though they are very noisy and hard riding, and have a poorer life. That's the general consensus if you go onto tyre review sites. Most owners bin them and put on a different brand anyway. I run on Kumhos these days (and I ran them on my old A3 S-Line, with NO issues) - good value and much better riding and lower noise.

Nothing whatsoever wrong with dropping the speed rating either (I've just dropped from a Y to a W), as said above you just look at the silver sticker on the inside of the door and make sure you have the right inflation pressure for your speed rating. At the end of the day a Y tyre is rated at 300km/h which is way in excess of what the car is actually capable of doing, I've ran a 2.0TDI B7 on a W tyre for tens of thousands of miles and never had any problems.

Bear in mind that Audis come from the land of the Autobahn where there are no speed limits - hence they tend to recommend the higher speed ratings as a matter of course. Here in Blighty it's less important.

Last edited:
These are the proper, OEM wheel and tyre sizes for a B8
7J x 16; ET 39 205/60/16 92H

7.5J x 17; ET 45 225/50 R17 94Y

8J x 18; ET 47 245/40 R18 93Y

8.5J x 19; ET 43 255/35 R19 96Y

Many thanks for the detailed reply, I'll get the mid range ones.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk