3.0 EGR woes

LukeyC

Reaction score
Very frustrating day today - left Bristol at 5:30pm so I could meet Rob at JR Tuning for 9am in Kent for ECU / Gearbox remaps.

Just before Reading my car starts to shudder like crazy at 80mph 2k rpm. Shifting down to 6th the issue goes away.

So I pull over and call rob, run the carista diagnostic and email him the logs - the lumpy idle also point towards an airflow issue.
I press on to Kent where Rob spends much of the day trying to find the issue - unplugging the EGR valve seems to solve the issue temporarily, but there is massive amounts of smoke coming out the back.

Needless to say no mapping rakes place, and I need to replace my EGR valve at least before we can proceed any further.

Can anyone tell me how easy it is to remove / install the new one on the 3.0TDI? The valve is right on top of the engine so easily accessible, but will I need to recode the new one?

I removed and cleaned the one on my own alfa 159 so it's something I think I should, do be able to do.

12 hours after i left home i got home with nothing to show but alot less fuel in my tank and an engine warning light!!

Sent from my SM-T710 using Tapatalk

Are you sure it's an EGR issue and not something like the DPF partially blocked, Or a fuel issue. Does it pull ok through the gears?.
I had my EGR mapped out and blocked when I had it remapped so theoretically I could remove it. Which I won't do though as it is a bit of a pig to get out.

Thanks desertstorm. We're not 100% sure it's the cause of the issue, but it's definitely broken and needs replacing. I didn't fully understand what Rob was telling me, but it was along the lines of he could see what one part of the EGR was requesting (say, 60%) but the actual values were all over the place. If you take the top part of the egr off the engine idled fine, but as soon as you then manually actuated the egr it would start to idle really badly.

In terms of driving, it only see end to do it around 75-80mph in th gear on the way up, but on the way home it was really lumpyand Jerky all at lower Revs.

I pulled over, disconnected the plug from the egr and the engine ran fine all the way home, I just had an engine warning light on.

I said to rob about mapping it out, but we want to make sure it's definitely the culprit before asking any more of the engine.

If it's a pig to remove I'll get a garage to do it for me and run it a few days to see if it cures things.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk