Mods that make a difference & won't invalidate the audi warranty

zippster

Reaction score
hey guys

just after a little bit of advise really..

so after owning my s3 for nearly a month, I've got the fiddles.. (self confessed fiddler here.. i like to be different!)

on day one i ripped out the snow grate and fitted an ITG panel filter (i know i know but the induction is definitely different and I'm pretty sure the boost builds a little quicker!)
++did a few VCDS mods.. (alarm chirp and oil temp etc)
+ oh and RS air vents .. these add about 15bhp I'm led to believe :):):):)

on my list of upgrades i have one of these...

CTS high flow inlet pipe.
http://www.psituning.com/product.php/25254/cts_turbo_mqb_high_flow_turbo_inlet_pipe___mk7_tsi_s3_8v
Thought process being better breathing, better turbo spin up = little performance, little efficiency, teeny bit of sound..

and possibly one of these..

https://store.034motorsport.com/mqb...golf-gti-r-8v-audi-a3-s3-billet-aluminum.html

I'm looking for a few mods that won't invalidate my warranty but make a difference to sound and performance without going full hog with an exhaust system and induction kit (although REVO is on my list too)

any thoughts / suggestions? i don't mind spending a few quid but as i say don't want to invalidate my warranty and cheese the service manager..

Thanks in advance

Andy..

Reactions: Rob2k68 and Max-Robbo
I've been making enquiries of late about retrofits to my RSQ3 and any impact on warranty, and have been told from a couple of different sources that if its not an approved Audi retrofit and not fitted by an Audi dealer then your warranty could be compromised, also that if Audi believe that anything retrofitted has caused another component to fail, then that component will not be covered by warranty either (and that they don't have to give an explanation either).

Different dealers seem to "apply" the above in slightly different ways, some strictly, some not, as on their system when they enter in your VIN number that tells them exactly what the spec of the car was at new.

Now there is a train of thought which suggests that you could pull the "it was fitted as new and your system is wrong" line, but only so much I guess.

So I guess its how much you want to risk it, what the mod is, and how your dealer may/may not turn a blind eye.

Arguably with the mods you've done already, under Audi reasoning, if (say) your turbo failed, Audi could say that the inlet pipe you fitted was the cause - bit extreme, but that's how it was explained to me.

And just fyi - all I was asking about was getting a power socket fitted in the boot of my RSQ3 - hardly rocket science, but Audi don't do an approved retrofit for that - so was advised could go ahead, but that any wiring issues that could subsequently be attributed to the retrofit of that could invalidate my warranty for those affected components.

I guess its just Audi "protecting" themselves against component failure on non-standard items, which is fair enough. To my mind, if they could conclusively prove that a component you had retrofitted had directly caused the failure of a standard component, then fair enough, I fitted it, I took the risk, otherwise I find it a bit "big brother-ish".

Reactions: pburv
hey guys

just after a little bit of advise really..

so after owning my s3 for nearly a month, I've got the fiddles.. (self confessed fiddler here.. i like to be different!)

on day one i ripped out the snow grate and fitted an ITG panel filter (i know i know but the induction is definitely different and I'm pretty sure the boost builds a little quicker!)
++did a few VCDS mods.. (alarm chirp and oil temp etc)
+ oh and RS air vents .. these add about 15bhp I'm led to believe :):):):)

on my list of upgrades i have one of these...

CTS high flow inlet pipe.
http://www.psituning.com/product.php/25254/cts_turbo_mqb_high_flow_turbo_inlet_pipe___mk7_tsi_s3_8v
Thought process being better breathing, better turbo spin up = little performance, little efficiency, teeny bit of sound..

and possibly one of these..

https://store.034motorsport.com/mqb...golf-gti-r-8v-audi-a3-s3-billet-aluminum.html

I'm looking for a few mods that won't invalidate my warranty but make a difference to sound and performance without going full hog with an exhaust system and induction kit (although REVO is on my list too)

any thoughts / suggestions? i don't mind spending a few quid but as i say don't want to invalidate my warranty and cheese the service manager..

Thanks in advance

Andy..

Potentially anything u amend/upgrade from manufactures standard may void warranty for that area/region/mechanics etc.

Having said that... The world is your oyster!

Have a look at lights under doors and a cheeky pedal box. Review/ fitting guide in the sticky I think, if not just do a search.

VCDS Exhaust flaps mod etc

Enjoy

Reactions: Rob2k68, pburv and zippster
I believe unplugging the exhaust valves add some increase in sound output, this would remove the need to use VCDS if you don't have it.

Reactions: pburv and zippster
OEM stuff they don't seem to mind, I retrofitted nearly every option to my 8P A3 and numerous times when it was in the dealers nothing was commented on and warranty issues were still rectified.

Recently I retrofitted genuine advanced rear camera to my 2015 A4, it was in for its first service at the start of this month and because I didn't get it calibrated, it left a DTC in the controller. Audi fixed this FOC (~1 hours labour which is £100) under warranty so depending on who you get, they can be quite oblivious to whether equipment is fitted by the factory or afterwards.

13393924 10157466811935497 1472726079997759837 n

Reactions: azibux1, pburv and zippster
My little package consists of Eibach springs (and 19s), MTM M-Cantronic unit (removed before it goes anywhere near Audi), and VWR R600 intake with Forge pipe and CTS turbo inlet pipe.
Spoke to my dealer and they don't care about any of it, although I am advised to remove the box (which I do anyway). Kim at QST, who supplied the Cantronic, said that essentially Audi don't like anything on the exit side of the engine (ie decat/sport cat, downpipe etc) where warranties are concerned but intake side is tolerated.

Reactions: Rob2k68, Max-Robbo, pburv and 1 other person
appreciate the feedback guys...

just been out to the garage and disabled the exhaust flaps via VCDS to see how that sounds for the minute.. ..you think ill notice a difference?

still keen on the inlet pipe thing... but ill see how this goes for now :)

Thanks again..

Reactions: Rob2k68 and pburv
Is disabling the exhaust flaps using VCDS same thing as setting exhaust to dynamic? That's basically what dynamic mode does to the exhaust right??

Reactions: Rob2k68 and zippster
Is disabling the exhaust flaps using VCDS same thing as setting exhaust to dynamic? That's basically what dynamic mode does to the exhaust right??

yes(ish) but i believe the flap doesn't open until 2.5k~3k RPM.. whereas if you disable it its open all the time..

i went out for a drive tonight and can confirm its much louder and sounds better.. my car has 303 miles on the clock but can happily notice the different with the window open and closed.. not sure if the snow grate and ITG panel make much difference but the noise is better..

happy with that! :)

Reactions: Rumpelkillskins, Gazjs and Rob2k68
so CTS inlet pipe.. general consensus is that audi won't be funny warranty wise?

I'm currently on a mission to find one :( and failing fast.. anyone have any ideas where i can get one? faster then 4 weeks that PSI are quoting me :(

Bought the inlet pipe from All stars motorsports.
(French firm I think although it was sent from Portugal)

The lowest price and freight cost I found on this side of the Atlantic.

They had it in stock also and was sent within two working days.
You have to mail (or call) to verify stock status though, not shown online.

Btw funny thing is that it gets a bit cheaper if you select it for Golf 7r... :p

Reactions: Rob2k68, zippster, Max-Robbo and 1 other person
Bought the inlet pipe from All stars motorsports.
(French firm I think although it was sent from Portugal)

The lowest price and freight cost I found on this side of the Atlantic.

They had it in stock also and was sent within two working days.
You have to mail (or call) to verify stock status though, not shown online.

Btw funny thing is that it gets a bit cheaper if you select it for Golf 7r... :p
Is the golf7r exactly the same then

CTS high flow inlet pipe ordered from All stars motorsport.. :yes:

lets see how long it takes to come...

#havethebugformods

Reactions: Rob2k68
What about turbo blanket and OEM resonator delete?

Reactions: zippster
anyone on the fence about ordering from AllStarMotorsport dont be.. i ordered my CTS inlet pipe from them sunday (no-one else had one for 4~5 week backorder) and its shipped and on its way to me yesterday via DPD! its coming from portugal but as its DPD i can track it all the way and actually know when the delivery guy is going to try and deliver!!

so far so good! and if they always use DPD id buy from them again.. oh and its cost £119 delivered :):):)

Reactions: Rob2k68
I've been making enquiries of late about retrofits to my RSQ3 and any impact on warranty, and have been told from a couple of different sources that if its not an approved Audi retrofit and not fitted by an Audi dealer then your warranty could be compromised, also that if Audi believe that anything retrofitted has caused another component to fail, then that component will not be covered by warranty either (and that they don't have to give an explanation either).

Different dealers seem to "apply" the above in slightly different ways, some strictly, some not, as on their system when they enter in your VIN number that tells them exactly what the spec of the car was at new.

Now there is a train of thought which suggests that you could pull the "it was fitted as new and your system is wrong" line, but only so much I guess.

So I guess its how much you want to risk it, what the mod is, and how your dealer may/may not turn a blind eye.

Arguably with the mods you've done already, under Audi reasoning, if (say) your turbo failed, Audi could say that the inlet pipe you fitted was the cause - bit extreme, but that's how it was explained to me.

And just fyi - all I was asking about was getting a power socket fitted in the boot of my RSQ3 - hardly rocket science, but Audi don't do an approved retrofit for that - so was advised could go ahead, but that any wiring issues that could subsequently be attributed to the retrofit of that could invalidate my warranty for those affected components.

I guess its just Audi "protecting" themselves against component failure on non-standard items, which is fair enough. To my mind, if they could conclusively prove that a component you had retrofitted had directly caused the failure of a standard component, then fair enough, I fitted it, I took the risk, otherwise I find it a bit "big brother-ish".

The system in question is VMS, which I have personally used, this is 100% accurate, I have never came across a time where this is changed, apart from on a used car, when the car might have had things changed/added over its life.

To be honest, garages are far too busy to be messing about on this, I genuinely don't know any service advisor/tech who has ever checked this system while a car has been in.

Spoke to my dealer and they don't care about any of it, although I am advised to remove the box (which I do anyway).
As long as they get paid ?

Kim at QST, who supplied the Cantronic, said that essentially Audi don't like anything on the exit side of the engine (ie decat/sport cat, downpipe etc) where warranties are concerned but intake side is tolerated.

Really ?
QST ought to know better....... He may think that their local dealer may tolerate it but I seriously doubt Audi UK would.
Cantronic is a very different, but the dealers will plug the car into the computer and it will record that it's boosting at whatever over stock - regularly !!

Spoke to my dealer and they don't care about any of it, although I am advised to remove the box (which I do anyway).
As long as they get paid ?

Kim at QST, who supplied the Cantronic, said that essentially Audi don't like anything on the exit side of the engine (ie decat/sport cat, downpipe etc) where warranties are concerned but intake side is tolerated.

Really ?
QST ought to know better....... He may think that their local dealer may tolerate it but I seriously doubt Audi UK would.
Cantronic is a very different, but the dealers will plug the car into the computer and it will record that it's boosting at whatever over stock - regularly !!

Thanks for the input... :tearsofjoy:
There's a lot of sense in what was said, an intake kit is not going to be capable of causing major problems - if anything, lower intake temps will slightly help the engine. Decats, manifolds, downpipes... Are a more major modification and therefore higher risk. And I wasn't talking about Audi UK was I? I was talking about taking my car into my dealer (mine in particular are very mod-friendly).
As for the Cantronic - well, it's tricking the ECU isn't it (essentially it's almost a standalone ECU in itself) so the ECU won't KNOW the boost has been outside of range. And IF all else fails, I claim on the MTM warranty.
Calm down...!

Reactions: Max-Robbo, zippster and Rob2k68
yes(ish) but i believe the flap doesn't open until 2.5k~3k RPM.. whereas if you disable it its open all the time..

i went out for a drive tonight and can confirm its much louder and sounds better.. my car has 303 miles on the clock but can happily notice the different with the window open and closed.. not sure if the snow grate and ITG panel make much difference but the noise is better..

happy with that! :)

I've been reading a lot about this little mod and it's really appealing to me.
How easy is it to do?

I'm not very clued on at all when it comes to this stuff.

I've been reading a lot about this little mod and it's really appealing to me.
How easy is it to do?

I'm not very clued on at all when it comes to this stuff.

If you have access to VCDS it's about 30 seconds, the alternative is getting under the car and disconnecting the solenoid that controls the exhaust valve and taping the connectors up. I've gone the VCDS route so can't comment on how long the connector mod takes but it's pretty popular so I can't imagine it being too difficult.

Reactions: Forbzeeee and jungle650