Newb owner saying hi

LogicSnap

Reaction score
Morning ladies and gents,

Just wanted to say hi, been lurking on here since Jan. I went along with my mate to TD a S3 he was looking at, salesman offered us a drive in an RS3... lets just say I never did get that hook out my mouth (that sound!), put down a deposit back in April, collect car towards end of this month - LONGEST WAIT EVER! ;)

Sepang Blue, with comfort, tech (audi connect) and dynamic, B&O with Lunar & super sports seats

Bit about me... been a massive Lotus fanboy for past 6 years, owned an Elise and then an Evora (sublime), quite a change to the Audi, the only German manufacturer I like for a whole host of irrational reasons (my dad had a few 80 Quattro's as I was growing up).

I plan to drive in dynamic everywhere - on both the Lotus I fitted Larini aftermarket exhaust and they were LOUD so well used to that, fuel economy be dammed, its not an everyday car and I work in Oil so doing my bit to keep me employed!

So I have a couple of q's to hit you up with!?
  • Audi connect - brochure (pg 63) seems to suggest service is provided for 24 months post delivery and then free for a further 12 months, but this seems contrary to discussions I have read on here about using data only SIM's etc etc? whats the deal here?
  • Can i use my existing phone to create the WIFI in the car or do you need a separate SIM for that functionality?
  • Do i need to purchase a connector cable if i want to plug in, or does it come with car? Prefer to have "on charge" in the car and to my mind think sound quality is better than over bluetooth?
  • Audi app - anyone dl and actually use it or just a gimmick?
Thanks all and hello again!

Reactions: RGBARGEE, Jassyo06, Terminator x and 1 other person
There is no Audi connect subscription I'm aware of (in the USA there is, maybe that is why the brochure is wrong)

You need to put a SIM in the dash (to use any of the Connect services including onboard WiFi). There are many options for ~£5/month. You'll only need ~1GB/month on it.

You should get given an AMI connector suitable for your phone at handover (if not shout until they do, you just spent £50k with them!). Quality over Bluetooth is crap, I switched to AMI for this reason.

App is very useful, I use it to google search for and send destinations to the car all the time. Much quicker than typing postcodes into the MMI!

Enjoy the new toy when it arrives!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: LogicSnap
Welcome mate. You will not regret yr purchase

Reactions: d170868
Welcome to audi-sport.net. Enjoy your car when it arrives. Enjoy the forum :)

Reactions: Jassyo06
There is no Audi connect subscription I'm aware of (in the USA there is, maybe that is why the brochure is wrong)

You need to put a SIM in the dash (to use any of the Connect services including onboard WiFi). There are many options for ~£5/month. You'll only need ~1GB/month on it.

You should get given an AMI connector suitable for your phone at handover (if not shout until they do, you just spent £50k with them!). Quality over Bluetooth is ****, I switched to AMI for this reason.

App is very useful, I use it to google search for and send destinations to the car all the time. Much quicker than typing postcodes into the MMI!

Enjoy the new toy when it arrives!

Thanks - very useful! I'll look into how much vodafone want to extract for a 1gb SIM then!

Im also looking for a Data SIM card.
It may be of interest that the cheapest EE offers is:

We offer our Data SIM only on 30 days rolling or 12 months contract with 2GB for £11, 4GB for £17 on 4G, 16GB for £22 and 32GB for £28 a month on double speed 4G.

I'm on EE and have a sharer SIM that leaches off my main contracts 16GB allowance. Only £6 per month. If you already have an EE contract with lots of data it's probably worth asking them about it.

Reactions: AudiNutta
Result, I called EE they offered me a shared Data SIM card for £5 per month, 24 mth contract.

Reactions: josedebardi
Ah looks like I need to chat to EE! I am kinda locked into Vodafone through my company, but guess if its just for the car, it neednt be with them, i'll dig around and see what deals are out there.

ps whats Double speed 4G? 8G ;) thought 5G was the next one to come, so confused!?!

I already posted EE's Data SIM only prices. Mine is less because it's sharing the data from my phone contract.
No idea about 4G etc.

They allow full use of LTE bandwidth, so you can get as much as 90Mbps!!!! On average it's like 60Mbps though (still very good!), where's the most you'll get from the other operators is about 30-40Mbps.

I work in telecoms but I'll not bore you with the technical details of how/why!?

They allow full use of LTE bandwidth, so you can get as much as 90Mbps!!!! On average it's like 60Mbps though (still very good!), where's the most you'll get from the other operators is about 30-40Mbps.

I work in telecoms but I'll not bore you with the technical details of how/why!?

I'm up for being bored with the details ;-)

Hey, newb here too! Well future newb.. I'm due to collect mine on 1st September. The wait is unbearable!! Enjoy your wheels :)

Look out for a 66 plate Mythos Black, black styling, with dynamic, comfort, and tech packs. Titanium wheels with red calipers and super sport seats with red stitching! My first ever new car - bit of an upgrade from my current C30 D3 R Design!!:haha: HURRY UP SEPTEMBER!!!

Spotted a Sepang Blue RS3 heading towards felixstowe on the A14 last week. Anyone on here?

Reactions: Terminator x
unfortch I dont collect car till 30th so waiting till then... booked the day off work today, might take days the following week too! Pics to follow!

Thanks for info on the 4g stuff too. I've managed to get vodafone to pony up an extra gig and an extra sim for £8 a month. Gives me 4gig total, will see how i go with that for starters!

Reactions: nikolai briton
Hi guys and gals,

As promised, picked up car on Thursday last week - was at two weddings over the weekend, both local to me and no need to drive so hardly had a chance to use it yet! However still just as great as I remembered from the test drive!

I also found out that car was a cancelled customer order, car arrived on/around 30th March - anyone on here perhaps? Thanks though, was exactly the spec i wanted!

few questions I had post collection.

1) is there a setting to alter what anti clockwise and clockwise turns of MMI dial do? system is counter intuitive to my mind, (as in i'd prefer it reversed to what it does so always seem to go two clicks the wrong way to what I want - not a biggie obviously sure i'l get used to it.
2) as soon as phone is connected to car it starts playing a song, even if both My Audi and music apps are shut on the phone, bit annoying.
3) can you skip tracks from the steering wheel or do you have to use the volume knob?

Thanks

R
IMG 2537
IMG 2538
IMG 2539

Reactions: AndyB-S3, elton121272, Jassyo06 and 3 others
1) is there a setting to alter what anti clockwise and clockwise turns of MMI dial do? system is counter intuitive to my mind, (as in i'd prefer it reversed to what it does so always seem to go two clicks the wrong way to what I want - not a biggie obviously sure i'l get used to it.
This infuriates me too, especially as all the VWs go the other way. It's clearly wrong on the Audi and you never quite get used to it. I'd also love to know if this can be changed.

The car looks ace, probably the options I'd go for next time.. I chose the Daytona Grey because I didn't want it to be too flash and noticeable, both to my work colleagues on the car park and to the local scrotes in the area. I kinda regret that now!

Hi guys and gals,

As promised, picked up car on Thursday last week - was at two weddings over the weekend, both local to me and no need to drive so hardly had a chance to use it yet! However still just as great as I remembered from the test drive!

I also found out that car was a cancelled customer order, car arrived on/around 30th March - anyone on here perhaps? Thanks though, was exactly the spec i wanted!

few questions I had post collection.

2) as soon as phone is connected to car it starts playing a song, even if both My Audi and music apps are shut on the phone, bit annoying.
3) can you skip tracks from the steering wheel or do you have to use the volume knob?

Thanks

RView attachment 96061 View attachment 96062 View attachment 96063
@LogicSnap - Gorgeous RS3 buddy! :thumbs up:
Nice colour too ... ;) :D

I'm sure the RS3 owners will be along to answer your questions

This [MMI dial going the wrong way] infuriates me too, especially as all the VWs go the other way. It's clearly wrong on the Audi and you never quite get used to it. I'd also love to know if this can be changed.
I've read some more on this and there's *plenty* of people and threads with complaints about this, across all sorts of Audi models. Everyone concludes that you can't change it. Personally I think it's designed for LHD cars and they've not bothered to change it for RHD. It would make sense to go that way in a LHD car.

Very nice indeed. If you want to skip track from the steering wheel, programme the wee * (star) button to do it. You can set this to control a number of things but I've got it to move tracks on.

Reactions: LogicSnap and Jassyo06
Very nice indeed. If you want to skip track from the steering wheel, programme the wee * (star) button to do it. You can set this to control a number of things but I've got it to move tracks on.
Nah, use the * button to cycle through your dynamic/individual/comfort

Regarding the buttons, I think it's a shame that the two unused buttons on the centre strip of buttons can't be programmed to do things, like the favourite button. They could still be blank, but just programmable to shortcut to a feature.

He said he was leaving it in dynamic so no need to scroll through!

Except leaving it in dynamic doesn't really leave it in dynamic (see various threads on the topic here in the RS3 section), so you have to scroll through EVERY time you get in the car, hence a lot of people set the * to DriveSelect.

Just press the drive select button on the centre console?? No point having 2 buttons doing the same thing.

Except leaving it in dynamic doesn't really leave it in dynamic (see various threads on the topic here in the RS3 section), so you have to scroll through EVERY time you get in the car, hence a lot of people set the * to DriveSelect.

I wasn't going to re-ask this question, so seeing as you brought it up ;) - When I get in the car and start her up, and press the drive select button and the visual prompt between the dials says Dynamic ( i would have parked up from driving in said mode) its not actually in Dynamic? My routine for all 5 times I have used it so far seems to be just get in, turn on, push DS button once, then pull back on stick once in drive to get sport on gears and I seem to be away? However, do i actually need to go back through another driving mode to actually get dynamic engaged? Apologies if this is covering old ground!

Strange about no buttons for skipping tracks, the < > buttons on the left of the wheel would seem made for this purpose when in the media section of the center display. Also presume the favorite button only has one function so forward or back - doesn't really solve my pedantic issues ;)

At the end of the day all 1st world problems! Audi seem to have solved problems I didnt have (change the tone of the parking sensors) and missed basics "i'd like to skip the song forward without taking hands off the wheel" - bizarre!

However soundtrack from the exhaust out competing stereo for the moment so not too much to worry about!

Thanks

R

Reactions: Scottyg
Sadly, unless you actually fully cycle the DS (press it 5 times) you won't get the pops n bangs on downshift.