Audi A3 2.0 Tdi 2005 lost power

S3mad

Dark Knight
Reaction score
Hi all,

Im not sure anyone had had this issue before but i have always serviced and made sure the car has needed everything but we i went on the motorway the other day the engine lost power when i had my foot down between -70mph - 80mph no errors on dash i ended up getting towed home as had a long way to go but havent got a clue what it was im driving the car like normal now but only at normal speed anyone have any idea what to check for before i think its a turbo etc

I'd get it scanned, Mine has done it a couple of times, scanned and it said it was overboosting and putting it into limp home mode, no lights on dash, turned the car off then back on, everything back to normal

I'd get it scanned, Mine has done it a couple of times, scanned and it said it was overboosting and putting it into limp home mode, no lights on dash, turned the car off then back on, everything back to normal

Yes error code says the same did you fix the issue ?

If it is overboosting, there could be a number of causes, but more often than not, it is due to the vanes in the turbo becoming seized because of all the carbon deposits that have baked themselves onto the vanes stopping the vanes from moving. When you put your foot down/high load situations e.g. driving up an incline, the vanes go in to their "fully-open" position, to allow the maximum amount of air through. If however, the vanes cannot open as they should, the engine detects this and puts the car in limp home mode. The best way to clean the turbo out is to get the turbo removed, opened and cleaned. There are cheaper options that you can try first, for example, off-the-shelf spray cleaners, that lets you spray a cleaner through the intake after the MAF such as the Revive kit or even using Mr Muscle oven cleaner in the exhaust side of the turbo directly.

If it is overboosting, there could be a number of causes, but more often than not, it is due to the vanes in the turbo becoming seized because of all the carbon deposits that have baked themselves onto the vanes stopping the vanes from moving. When you put your foot down/high load situations e.g. driving up an incline, the vanes go in to their "fully-open" position, to allow the maximum amount of air through. If however, the vanes cannot open as they should, the engine detects this and puts the car in limp home mode. The best way to clean the turbo out is to get the turbo removed, opened and cleaned. There are cheaper options that you can try first, for example, off-the-shelf spray cleaners, that lets you spray a cleaner through the intake after the MAF such as the Revive kit or even using Mr Muscle oven cleaner in the exhaust side of the turbo directly.

Thanks think ill try the Revive kit