Michelin Pilot Super Sports

Chimp

Reaction score
Hi, I was wondering if anyone has fitted them to their 2014 S3 8V with 18" Wheels?

When I had a puncture last year I could only get hold of PS3 as the PSS were on back order but rumours on some forums suggest that they were being discontinued.

I have phoned around and if I put the 225/40 R18 92Y in on websites I get offered PS4. But over an online chat to Michelin they suggest that 225/40 ZR18 88Y is available although dealers seem to think they are a BMW fit.

Would the BMW fit matter? Are these the size you fitted?

Also Costco seem to have a rule all of a sudden that they can only fit 4 tyres of the same as it "affects the 4WD"... didn't stop them last year getting away from the Conti's that were on from factory...anyone had this said to them also? Chance to sell more tyres me thinks!

No
big-iaa-2015-michelin-pilot-sport-4.jpg

about ?

Yes the PS4 is about if that is what you are asking.. but I am on about Pilot Super Sport I believe they still sit higher in the performance ladder than PS4.

Reactions: batch
Not anymore !

"In comparative testing in 18" sizes, Pilot Sport 4 outperforms the Pilot Super Sport in 99% of everyday situations, with the added benefit of 10-15% improved wear."

Having had PSS on my previous Evo X, they were a natural choice when I needed to change my 2 front tyres a couple of months back, but had to settle for PS3's as PSS were not available. I've also heard that the new PS4's replace both the PS3's and PSS's (they were pretty similar tyres anyway in all honesty) and that they outperform both, so my choice would be them. But if in doubt ring up Michelin technical and discuss, I did

Just put super sports all around on mine but mine are 19s, had eagle f1s before and there night and day different.

What is the rim protection like on the super sports am ready for some new tyres?

This is worrying. The PSS were light years ahead of the PS3s in terms of any measure of performance, other than wear rate. The PS3s were an insult to the name and the PS4 replacing both the PSS and PS3 can't be a good thing. Surely it'll be a halfway house effort between the great performance of the former and the sheer meh-ness of the latter.

Reactions: mjr_123
Sport 4 has replaced the super sports AFAIK eg current super sports no longer available although you can probably still buy them until the stock runs out.

TX.

Well at about £103 for 18" per corner... I will try the PS4's if they are that good! Much cheaper than PSS on 19's a few years ago on my old TTRS - £325 per corner !!

Weird if Michelin are replacing PSS range with the PS4 given there isn't always a like for like conversion of PSS sizes to the PS4 range, and PSS is still listed on the Michelin website :?. Thankfully I secured a set of PSS 18"s to go on my S1 from Tyreleader. Initial assessment is they stick like poo to a blanket.

What's the point of PSS if Michelin themselves say they are now out performed by PS4 .

"In comparative testing in 18" sizes, Pilot Sport 4 outperforms the Pilot Super Sport in 99% of everyday situations, with the added benefit of 10-15% improved wear."

This is worrying. The PSS were light years ahead of the PS3s in terms of any measure of performance, other than wear rate. The PS3s were an insult to the name and the PS4 replacing both the PSS and PS3 can't be a good thing. Surely it'll be a halfway house effort between the great performance of the former and the sheer meh-ness of the latter.

PS3 wasn't a bad tyre by any means,and coped pretty well with my car when I had a set on it.

The PSS was/is a much better tyre of course,and aside from very good levels of grip,has an excellent wear rate,and makes a very good all weather tyre.
If the PS4 reviews continue as above,I would certainly give them a go for wet and winter tyres,which is how I'd used the PSS previously.

The problem with the tyre review sites is that a lot of the information is subjective,and the scale is quite compressed.
For instance,the PSS rates at 97% for dry grip,and 89% for wet grip.
On the same site,the R888R scores 100% for dry grip,and 90% for wet grip.
The same site also rates the R888R higher on ride comfort....

I've used both of these,on the same car and suspension setup....

The R888R is simply way ahead of the PSS for dry grip,but no way is it equivalent or better for wet grip,and ride comfort...
So,my point is to take the reviews as advice,but with a hefty pinch of salt.

I had ps3's on my remapped focus, no drama's, coped with the increased power and torque ok, 193bhp and 261Nm claimed but prolly a little less. Wet performance was better than my current audi with the conti's which is shocking even in the dry...

Hi, I was wondering if anyone has fitted them to their 2014 S3 8V with 18" Wheels?

When I had a puncture last year I could only get hold of PS3 as the PSS were on back order but rumours on some forums suggest that they were being discontinued.

I have phoned around and if I put the 225/40 R18 92Y in on websites I get offered PS4. But over an online chat to Michelin they suggest that 225/40 ZR18 88Y is available although dealers seem to think they are a BMW fit.

Would the BMW fit matter? Are these the size you fitted?

Also Costco seem to have a rule all of a sudden that they can only fit 4 tyres of the same as it "affects the 4WD"... didn't stop them last year getting away from the Conti's that were on from factory...anyone had this said to them also? Chance to sell more tyres me thinks!

I had a puncture that was repaired a couple of times and last fine for about 18 months, but after my last visit to Audi they dropped from 41psi to 17 psi in 2 days! I thought that as it was only 3.5mm i thought rather than faff around getting a repair again then replacing it in 2 months i would just change it now. This meant id have to get the two on the same axle replaced. However the fronts were only 3mm so id have to change them in 1-2 months anyway. So i decided replace all 4.

I went to Costco Reading and they said the Michelin Pilot SS were no longer in production for the size i was after. No idea if true and didnt explore any more after that as I happily opted for the Michelin PS4s which are great. I did all 4 £400 fitted including 2% costco cashback. Better than the contis.

The issue with the contis is that they break traction with little warning in the wet when they get fairly worn (<3.5mm) even when driving like nun like i do

Reactions: pauly69
Well I went to Costco over the weekend and replaced at 4 with PS4's. I have about 2.5mm on the rears and 1.9 on the fronts so decided to get all done. £404 all in and from driving 60 miles so far seem MUCH more pointy than PS3's and the original conti 5's. Lots of grip but would have due to being new but the most notable different was braking is much improved and feel of it.

Will get some more miles on and feedback soon!

Well I went to Costco over the weekend and replaced at 4 with PS4's. I have about 2.5mm on the rears and 1.9 on the fronts so decided to get all done. £404 all in and from driving 60 miles so far seem MUCH more pointy than PS3's and the original conti 5's. Lots of grip but would have due to being new but the most notable different was braking is much improved and feel of it.

Will get some more miles on and feedback soon!

how come you paid £404, when i paid £408 for the same tyres from the same wholesaler....hmmm

I've just replaced the cheap crap on my S4 with PSS and I can't believe the difference.

Reactions: Rob2k68
When I first read this thread I had a look around online and couldn't find anyone selling the PSS and then contacted Michelin CS who told me they were still making them in 225/40 R18 92Y. Now when I look online they are readily available again, but seemingly very expensive, presumably because they're in short supply. They're around the £130 each mark, which is gonna be £150 fitted unless you're able to do it yourself. Bit steep for me, I was paying less than that for 19" ones last year!

Reactions: Don76
I paid £504 for 4x 230/40/18

When I first read this thread I had a look around online and couldn't find anyone selling the PSS and then contacted Michelin CS who told me they were still making them in 225/40 R18 92Y. Now when I look online they are readily available again, but seemingly very expensive, presumably because they're in short supply. They're around the £130 each mark, which is gonna be £150 fitted unless you're able to do it yourself. Bit steep for me, I was paying less than that for 19" ones last year!
Where are you based? They're available for £130 fully fitted round my way.

Sent from my SM-G928F using Tapatalk

Wiltshire. As I no longer have a speedy car, I'll maybe give the PS4s a go and save a bit of dosh...

Speedy or not PS4 are an improvement over PSS .

This isn't a review , it's a Michelin statement.

Currently the PS4 does not have as many size options as the mpss and won't have for some time.

Sent using Tapatalk

Speedy or not PS4 are an improvement over PSS .

This isn't a review , it's a Michelin statement.

Well I know of someone who went from PSS to PS4 because he got fed up of waiting for the former (they were on back order for months) and he reckons they're not quite as good, particularly in the wet.

That's 1 view point , I always listen to the masses and tyrereviews says differently .

Slightly off-topic, the CSC6 is amazing, far better than the 5P and also than the PS3s I had on my old S3.