Adding a switched live fuse box

TheAnticitizen1

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I was hoping to get a few opinions if something is safe to do. I have a few accessories like dash cam, hands free and such which require fuses and are currently using piggy back connectors to utilize switched live, thing is this is messy and I'd like to clean it up.

I've been looking at getting a fourway fuse block from ebay and using one piggy back connector with a 20amp fuse for the 4 accessories at 5amps thing is I don't want to cause a fire or damage the car, I'd just like a neat solution with fewer points to troubleshoot. but I'm not sure if the switched live will be ok with having a 20amp fuse + the original fuse, is this safe?

Don't piggy back, use a spare fuse slot, I always do this as circuits ate loaded by design, best to keep it that way.

If you would like someone to do this properly for you, pm me.

Hi NHN,

Thanks for the update, I removed the dashboard fusebox and found the first line of large fuses are connected by a single bar providing the 12v power and have a relatively thick cable (4AWG?) it also had a male spade connector at one end i'm guessing for an accessory my car doesn't have, so I used this as my wire tap the power side of the circuit goes:

Fuse box power tap -> 30 amp fuse -> 30amp relay -> 4 fuse holder with 3 x 5 amp fuses -> various accessories. Hopefully this makes sense!

I'm using a piggy back fuse connector from one of the empty mini fuses which has a switch live feed, this then throws the relay when the ignition is on. for the cabling I purchased a amp wiring kit from Amazon and used the battery cable.

Do you think this will be ok?

Should be, but ideally using the correct fuse repair wire in the fuse point being used is always best.