BAD AVG MPG S3 2.0 FSI T Quattro

Crikey, I must be doing something wrong!
Last week I travelled to Awesome for the fitting of a RS4 fuel return valve up through Staffordshire and Derbyshire with the main aim of avoiding the M6. My S3 is APR 2+ and I achieved 33mpg. Not driving like a loony but certainly had a good squirt where appropriate. Not so good on the same route home at 31 mpg.

Reactions: S3Alex
Yeah some peoples figures would make me cry

I have averaged over the 4350 miles I have owned the car 27.4 mpg :)

Last week I travelled to Awesome for the fitting of a RS4 fuel return valve up through Staffordshire and Derbyshire with the main aim of avoiding the M6. My S3 is APR 2+ and I achieved 33mpg. Not driving like a loony but certainly had a good squirt where appropriate. Not so good on the same route home at 31 mpg.

I went from 28mpg average before the really big turbo and the new brain.....then it went straight to 22mpg.
Big brain + big turbo = big thirst. LOL

This^^

Makes me feel much better about mine, I'm only at Stage 1 and I don't think I drive like a granny but i seem to be averaging about 32mpg. But, like everyone else, when i'm "enjoying the car" I can easily get it it down to the low teens and if I'm doing stop start in town I may as well just pour the petrol down the drain and walk! :wtf:

This^^

Makes me feel much better about mine, I'm only at Stage 1 and I don't think I drive like a granny but i seem to be averaging about 32mpg. But, like everyone else, when i'm "enjoying the car" I can easily get it it down to the low teens and if I'm doing stop start in town I may as well just pour the petrol down the drain and walk! :wtf:

That's the thing....enjoying the car.

Compared to an old school turbo car,or a car like the 3.2,it's pretty easy on the petrol,and still has good performance.

....Forgot to add, still think its better on fuel then my old E36 328i Sport - That was only good on the motorway, town those 6cyls use to love a drink :|

Just to be clear until this issue my AVG was 27+ no matter how I drove and more like 34 mpg on runs, I would get around 320 to 380 miles per tank depending on the roads, motorway or none. I have it booked in to have valves cleaned so I will update further once done. Also as stated before no leaks and no faults on computer.

I think that Alex has hit the nail on the head with this one.

I can only hope this is the problem.

Hi All,

I now have an update.

I have had the valves cleaned and the MPG seems to be improved. I have not done a run yet but my round town driving MPG is better than it was before this was done.

I really do need some additional advise please, if anyone (Alex) lol can tell me if having the PCV and Fuel Follower changed should cause a faint knocking sound as if someone is tapping a screwdriver against a metal part of the engine. They are new so I imagine they need to bed in a little but didn't want to risk it being a problem down the line.