Cracked Windscreen

Cornish1970

Reaction score
Well after 47000 trouble free miles in just over two years the windscreen of my A3 now has a crack in it.

Has anyone used Autoglass for an A3?

I had a screen replaced in a Mini Countryman and had issues with the auto wipers after it was ftted as the screen was not a genuine Mini replacement. I had to get the dealer to re-calibrate the wipers afterwards and they were never as good.

I guess my queston is has anyone had a non audi screen and is it the same with regard to the acoustic glass and sensors. They say it is the same and made by Pilkington.

Cheers

I had a non-Audi screen in my S3 after it cracked, and the wipers didn't work properly on auto delay. Had to have it at minimum sensitivity and even then, the damn things would start going like a mad thing with just the slightest of rain. When it went again, I had a proper Audi screen fitted and it all worked perfectly again.

Trust me whilst they say it is the same - it isn't. In fact there was an article on here recently where Glassman? confirmed that.

If it was me, I'd hold out for a genuine screen.

I would tend to agree. But the issue is often that the insurance company will either refuse or expect the difference in cost from the owner.

I would tend to agree. But the issue is often that the insurance company will either refuse or expect the difference in cost from the owner.

Indeed although it does depend on your insurance company and their policy. However the cost differential is not as great as you may expect, genuine screens are not that more expensive than after market.

The OEM for the Audi windscreen is Guardian AFAIK. Pilkington might be second-line supplier, or for later/alternate spec models. Whoever it is, the long and short of it is that if the glass does not feature the four rings, it's not OE. So many in the trade talk about glass being the same, or that there is some little man at the end of the production line stamping logos onto the glass. Rubbish, and in fact, the aftermarket windscreens are usually not even made in the same country never mind same production line. Even when they are, there are differences in the manufacturing processes, so much so that when you ask the manufacturers (if both windscreens are equal) the kind of response you get is that both examples "respond" to 'main technical and aesthetic criteria'.

In effect what this means is that a fake product 'responds' to the same aesthetic (it looks the same as the original) and technical characteristics (it does the same job as the original) so you can maintain a healthy interest in manufacturing for two sectors of the same industry. It's business.

Personally I don't see the harm in having a tier system, ie, a premium product and a budget equivalent. It exists with tyres. The reason it does not with windscreens is because insurance companies want to save money... and windscreen replacement companies want to be their chosen suppliers.

A footnote on the insurance policy wording:

Indeed although it does depend on your insurance company and their policy.

It does go back to what was accepted before the policy inception. In other words, when you ask for a quote, and the proposal states "UNLIMITED WINDSCREEN COVER" most people will see it as an essential benefit however, if - and in accordance with ICOBS 6:1:5 (Insurance Conduct of Business Sourcebook) - a proposing insurer did,

"take reasonable steps to ensure a customer is given appropriate information about a policy in good time and in a comprehensible form so that the customer can make an informed decision about the arrangements proposed",​

the 'benefit' would be worded different to state that in the event of a windscreen claim, the insurer has a preferred supplier who will be using non genuine parts.

I don't think insurers are doing enough, and many motorists only see the what 'unlimited windscreen cover' really means when they end up with a cracked windscreen. More on that here: http://www.glasstecpaul.com/motor-insurance-windscreen-cover/

Had my windscreen replaced by Autoglass, via my insurance company, a couple,of months back and had the Pilkington acoustic version fitted and had no problems at all whatsoever.

Issues I expect are down to the fitter rather than the company used

Reactions: deanshaw24
I would be very happy to recommend Glassman, who did an excellent job fitting an OE screen to my car last year. I am wary of the bigger companies, I am sure there are good fitters out there but I have also seen some bad ones...

Reactions: Glassman
Well went to my car yesterday a4 Quattro s line s tronic 2015.

Crack from the camera / mirror section to top of windscreen. Approx 18" long wavering.

No stone knowledge day before and NO sign of any impact.

Noted on warranty that if no impact noticeable is included.

Going to dealer next wednesday after visit yesterday and sales guy there said he couldnt see any marks but technician needs to look....mmmm.

So we will see how it plays out.

Anyone else seen same problem? Accoustic screen.

Yup, can't argue with that.
This, the rain sensor is just glued to the screen, the screen has no effect on the sensor, it will be down to the fitter who fitted it.

I've just had a pilkington screen fitted to mine today, I'll let you know how I get on but so far so good

Indeed although it does depend on your insurance company and their policy. However the cost differential is not as great as you may expect, genuine screens are not that more expensive than after market.

Agreed, but the cost differential of the OEM screen is a lot more than the normal £75 pound excess you would normally pay. I do not know if you can elect to pay the difference on top of your excess but would be good to know if anybody has been able to do this.
cornish1970.
I had an Autoglass screen fitted recently and my auto lights and wipers are all working the same as before and the screen looks exactly the same apart from not having the Audi trademark rings on it.

Reactions: Rob2k68
Agreed, but the cost differential of the OEM screen is a lot more than the normal £75 pound excess you would normally pay. I do not know if you can elect to pay the difference on top of your excess but would be good to know if anybody has been able to do this.
cornish1970.
I had an Autoglass screen fitted recently and my auto lights and wipers are all working the same as before and the screen looks exactly the same apart from not having the Audi trademark rings on it.

Why wouldn't you want the best available product for your car? I don't understand this attitude of settling for less. You're allowing insurance companies to pay for inferior, non branded products for you car. Yet, if the car was involved in a smash, the same insurer will authorise the fitting of genuine parts (in a bodyshop) and that includes OE glass!

If you were covered for tyre replacement, would you allow the repairer to fit a 'Yuang Dong' tyre when the other three are say, Pirelli?

http://www.glasstecpaul.com/dealer-part-windscreens/

Reactions: GStatus, Rob2k68 and Tom.H
Why wouldn't you want the best available product for your car? I don't understand this attitude of settling for less. You're allowing insurance companies to pay for inferior, non branded products for you car. Yet, if the car was involved in a smash, the same insurer will authorise the fitting of genuine parts (in a bodyshop) and that includes OE glass!

If you were covered for tyre replacement, would you allow the repairer to fit a 'Yuang Dong' tyre when the other three are say, Pirelli?

Surely that's not the same example? As rubbish tyres will perform differently and look rubbish compared to the others, whereas the windscreen looks and performs identical to an OE one in every day life. I'm no expert on windscreens at all but I suppose people don't want to pay more for something they will probably never notice. I have traders insurance so my windscreen isn't covered. I got a quote from Audi and even supplying the screen to me at cost it was £400 fitted and I needed to take the car to them. I ended up getting a local company to come out yesterday and fitted a pilkington (which had all the same numbers on apart from the 4 rings) for £185 fitted. I couldn't justify the cost difference. But that's just me.

My Insurance co would not allow or confirm that AO windscreen would be fitted.
I asked Auto glass to check with M and S insurance.

As I said, hoping for warranty replacement foc. If no go then Auto Glass as back up with 75.00 contribution.

Surely that's not the same example? As rubbish tyres will perform differently and look rubbish compared to the others, whereas the windscreen looks and performs identical to an OE one in every day life. I'm no expert on windscreens at all but I suppose people don't want to pay more for something they will probably never notice. I have traders insurance so my windscreen isn't covered. I got a quote from Audi and even supplying the screen to me at cost it was £400 fitted and I needed to take the car to them. I ended up getting a local company to come out yesterday and fitted a pilkington (which had all the same numbers on apart from the 4 rings) for £185 fitted. I couldn't justify the cost difference. But that's just me.

I take your point about tyre performance, but I was trying to use it as an example to highlight the issue of premium products/brand consistency/preserving the market value of a vehicle. Also, there is an issue when it comes to manufacturer warranty insofar as if there was an issue with anything connected to the windscreen (such as rain sensor or driver assistance camera) Audi (or any other manufacturer) will kick it out if the screen isn't a genuine part.

Also, the numbers you refer to do not necessarily mean it's the same screen (they're compliance codes).

You have trade insurance and so the cost is coming out of your pocket. I understand this, and if there are margins in jobs/cars - or the expense is being covered from a business - economy often rules the decision. I too am in business, and I will only fit genuine parts to my personal car and also to my van. It's not that I make a greater profit from OE parts and therefore have a vested interest in promoting them by self use, but they are, without question, better products. Besides, isn't that how premium quality works? I'd rather pay extra and get better or best.

My Insurance co would not allow or confirm that AO windscreen would be fitted.
I asked Auto glass to check with M and S insurance.

As I said, hoping for warranty replacement foc. If no go then Auto Glass as back up with 75.00 contribution.

Autoglass will fit what you agreed to before policy inception, and this is the issue; the question you're asking the repairer is the one you should have asked the insurer when the proposal was put to you. Ask before you agree to the terms. If you accept the terms, you abide by them.

Yes. Of course. But like most people you just check that you are covered. I think pretty much all insurers will be the same unless specifically asked for.

It seems some here do get AO without asking.

Anyway with your experience do you find that pressure cracks happen? The glass is Audi logo currently. As I said NO sign of any stone chip even looking through macro lens. I have taken photo just in case a mark shows up after the "technician" has looked at it. Maybe thats unfair....

Anyway with your experience do you find that pressure cracks happen? The glass is Audi logo currently. As I said NO sign of any stone chip even looking through macro lens. I have taken photo just in case a mark shows up after the "technician" has looked at it. Maybe thats unfair....

When you say pressure, do you mean stress fracture? Spontaneous glass breakage (in laminated windscreens) is so rare it is unheard of. IME, it is usually attributed to *something*, such as poor fitting; an issue with the adhesive; an impact; pressure on the glass from inside.

glassman,
Interesting point of view but taking the screen first, In my limited screen experience the Pilkington glass performs the same as the Audi branded one and I know we have disagreed on this point before but I can only say as I find. I am very happy with the £75 excess rather than pay the Audi price quoted above of £400, but each to their own. Lets not forget that the replacement screen is also covered with I year warranty so we can pick up any faults,and as seen previously on this subject both Audi screens and Autoglass have had the occasional defect reported.

Perhaps James, our new and very informative resident Insurance guru could give his experience on why the insurance companies have different policy on the windscreen.

Regarding the tyres, so long as they had the same performance rating (s) as the one damaged, then again I would be Ok without the brand marking.

Reactions: Glassman
Autoglass fitted an AGC acoustic windscreen on mine. Old one on removal, although Audi branded, was made by AGC according to the fitter who checked.

No problems with the fitting here.

Yep AGC here too had a replacement screen a couple of months ago when the car had just turned two years old but the insurance company paid in full so I just paid the £75 excess. Unexpected bonus was the later version screen had extra dot fade blackout either side of the interior rear view mirror.

Auto glass fitted a new pilkington screen to my s3 4 months ago no problems to report everything works fine was a bit nervous when auto glass van pulled up because of previous dealings with another car but fitter done a great job

Well. Result.

Audi have agreed it's a Stress fracture and will repair under warranty.

So don't give up guys if you have similar. Saved £75 excess and will have Audi logo standard fitted.
Well done Audi. ....and me@

Reactions: richinsoton and Tom.H
Well the new Windscreen Audi logo is fitted.
Noted that there as a few mm of space between the top and the metal of the car. This wasn't noted before.
So Stress Fracture was likely as Audi agreed.