RNSE Bad Retrofit?

JackA3.

Reaction score
Hi all, Just bought my first Audi, I have a few question which would be awesome if someone could help me out.

The main one being, It has an RNS-E, From what I can tell its been retrofitted, However, from pictures I have seen, I'm not sure its been fitted right, or if its even the A3 RNS-E.

From pictures I've seen of cars the same year with the unit, they have compleatly different buttons (Flatter?), along with the fact the unit doesn't seem to fit properly around the top, it seems to square for the hole (like its for another model? Looks like A5) And there are gaps all around the unit where it doesn't seem to be big enough.

I apologise for the crap picture, I'll get one in the day light tomorrow.

Mine looks like this:
BzIMUcC.jpg

It has these switches: (Which all keep getting stuck and the card holder doesn't open)
7fa04c2f16.jpg

Should it not look like this?:
b45b104321.jpg

My car also had the Phone Pack when it was new, When I pair my phone via bluetooth I can make and recieve calls from the phone and they play over the speakers, and the Clocks come up "Call" but the RNS-E just displays "Insert Sim" When connected, is this due to incorrect coding?

And finally, the top of the display on the clocks is always black unless I make a call, can this be changed to
show radio/MP3 information?

Many many thanks.
Jack.

Last edited:
If the top's square, it's for an A4.
There is no card tray there; they're just blanks.
Also, I think your buttons are for the facelift model.

The picture I used was just an example, mine does have a card tray on the right side.

I'll get another picture when I leave in a moment

Christ who fitted that, the damage done to the under button array isn't great.

If you need someone to fix it all, give me a shout :)

Oh dear, someone's butchered that. Definitely not how Audi intended.

whatever happened, this is what you are left with. get a hold of radio keys and pull out unit and replace under tray cover and hazard switch button. Your card tray is likely stuck on the connector assembly from the unit. Just take everything out and refit and spit and polish. It will still look bad to people on this forum but to the untrained eye, it will pass. you have the 192 unit with cd/tv button

That would drive me mad, all those little marks at the top where someone's obviously had a screwdriver on the job!

I've had the unit out and it's got no GPS antenna connected.

Took me forever to get it out it was well at craply wedged.

Had VCDS on it and it was programmed as an a4 unit still so that's why the DIS wasn't working, all good now.

I've removed the under button array, does anyone have any part codes for the correct bits I need?

Many thanks

Reactions: Dannymoto