The right engine oil - My experiences..

DrStrange

Reaction score
Hi all,

Jut thought I'd share my experiences with engine oil.

Ive had the car over a year now and its due for a full service.

The previous owner had put in some cheap Halfords own brand of oil. I know this as in the boot there was still a bit left. Most mornings I would get the dreaded rattle on start up and assumed this was normal upon reading lots of posts saying similar.

A couple of months back, i put in this bad boy (below) and now no more rattle. Voila! Im not qualified to comment on the how and why but im pleased with it thus far.

Just to add, its not a placebo as the rattle really has stopped and the oil has not been changed since owning the car.

PS, i dont work for Castrol :p

Upload 2016 4 14 15 29 44

Haha did you purposely mean to call them 'Halfrauds' ? Because that made me chuckle..

This was the culprit below;
Upload 2016 4 14 16 27 2

Same viscosity of course but I assume different in ingredients

Don't no why people skimp on oil it's only a few quid more for the right stuff .. Then when the car wrong it costs more money to put right .. Don't make sense

Don't no why people skimp on oil it's only a few quid more for the right stuff .. Then when the car wrong it costs more money to put right .. Don't make sense

Totally agreed. Whats funny is the previous owner always took it to the 'stealers' for a service..

Can't believe you didn't know it was halfrauds, DrStrange. Also it's the "main stealers".. :yes:

I've put the Fuchs Titan race pro s stuff in my s4, all 9 liters! Cost £100 just for the oil, and £18 for the filter from the main stealers, but IMO is worth it!!

Here's the thing , that Halfrauds non approved **** is the most expensive non approved I've ever seen at £42.99 5L .

No data sheet so I can't see the precise viscosity in units .

So it's a straight case of non approved Vs approved .

Would be interesting when if you put in Quantum-Longlife III next time .

What is supposed to be better out of the quantum and edge?

I run edge personally on a petrol

My car has had Quantum for all of it's 225k miles, & still doesn't use a drop between 9k services.:rock:

Reactions: DrStrange and Gazwould
Highly likely Quantum-Longlife III is Castrol Edge , it's marketed side by side by TPS and the data sheets are identical .

Quantum in my 2.5tdi the wifes 1.8t Bora and my sons S3.If you have had a rattle in a 1.8T it may be due more to the pick up pipe than the oil.The S3 has been sorted no rattling but it had been on longlife. The bora has been better cared for and never rattled so as a cheap motor is being left to chance

Reactions: DrStrange
Think I read somewhere edge oil was developed by Audi and Castrol working together

Can't believe you didn't know it was halfrauds, DrStrange. Also it's the "main stealers".. :yes:

I've put the Fuchs Titan race pro s stuff in my s4, all 9 liters! Cost £100 just for the oil, and £18 for the filter from the main stealers, but IMO is worth it!!

Haha, never knew that. I do now :)

Yes I heard Fuchs TItan Race Pro is great stuff. ****** hell, that 4.2 is a guzzler for sure!

Agreed, oil is definitely something you don't want to be counting the pennies.

Thanks for all the input guys. Very interesting.

Gazwould - Interesting as Halfrauds (as we know) dont make the oil. They simply get it from the big oil companies so it could technically be a re-branded product. However im not sure.
It would be a decent test to put in Quantum next time to see how it varies and if its identical to Castrol's Edge.

PaulDazzle - Really? Thats great! In my 1.8T, its had 2 since then. Saying that, i buy the pee-sized amount oil which is think is 1litre.

Mike B - i'll be sure to check this, thanks. Checking the previous owners history, the car has been well looked after.

Think I read somewhere edge oil was developed by Audi and Castrol working together

Aye.

http://www.castrol.com/en_gb/united...recommended/audi-recommends-castrol-edge.html

But it won't be your bulk standard Edge in the Le Mans cars , they will be Ester racing oils and thicker too .

Castrol don't sell Ester marketed oil , whereas Fuchs does .

I think the closest they've got to racing oil is a 10W60 Edge for BMW 'M' cars .

Not to say it's not got any group 5 Ester oil basestock , as 504.00 507.00 possibly has, (only 1 piece of evidence ).

Reactions: DrStrange