Squeaky brakes drivng me mad

Buxton2901

Reaction score
My diver side wheel is making a very annoying noise which sounds like brakes catching.
only starts once warm and as soon as i press the brakes it stops.
anyone had this? please help me :)

Quite common with Audi OE pads

I have minTex discs and pads fitted fairly recently. Any recommendations on decent non squeaky pads that don't cost a fortune?

I've not noticed any squeaking from the Yellow stuff
Not that cheap though.

Mintex are renowned for brake squeal - even copper grease doesn't work!

I have Brembo pads in mine - they've been fine with no squeal. Not expensive either. Just make sure everything is nice and clean before fitting new pads as this can cause squeal as well.

Reactions: Chop.
I can understand brake squeal from pads under braking but this is under normal driving and stops when I start braking. Still think it's down to the pads?
Also only starts when the brakes are warmed up

I'd whip the brakes off & check everything is working as it should be.

Check the pads are seating properly & not trapping in the caliper

To be honest I do have slight vibration under braking from high speed. What does that point to? I have recently replaced the discs.
How would I tell if caliper is sticking

I'd whip the brakes off & check everything is working as it should be.

Check the pads are seating properly & not trapping in the caliper

I did this after fitting new discs and pads when they were still squeaking. I cleaned carriers and replaced slide pins and used anti squeal paste also. No squeal at all whilst braking just annoying squeak whilst driving

Was the vibration present before the new discs were fitted ?

I would guess @ either a suspension worn bush or 2 or the caliper piston is not returning properly

Did you make sure the hub was super clean before fitting the discs ?

I would guess @ either a suspension worn bush or 2 or the caliper piston is not returning properly

think its going to have to be a garage job maybe. I'm ok fitting pads and discs but don't fancy taking callipers off and bleeding things lol
thanks for your help

If the surfaces are not clean dirt can cause the disc to run out a touch

It will make a huge difference! Your disc won't be running true if there is a build up of grime and rust behind the face. That is possibly why you can hear a squeak - your disc will be catching the pads as it rotates.

I would remove the discs and start again.

EDIT: beaten to it! :wink new:

It will make a huge difference! Your disc won't be running true if there is a build up of grime and rust behind the face. That is possibly why you can hear a squeak - your disc will be catching the pads as it rotates.

I would remove the discs and start again.

EDIT: beaten to it! :wink new:

I see what you mean now. ok will maybe have a look again and take everything apart again lol
thanks gents, I will update this thread with any results

how would I check if the caliper piston is not returning as it should?

mine does exactly the same but think the disks are slighly warped which wont be helping things haha very annoying hearing repetative sqeek

If the caliper is sticking on one side then that side the disc will be hotter after a journey. After you have been out maybe 10 miles or so driving normally just feel the centre of the disc and see how warm it is. Don't touch the disc itself as you are liable to burn yourself if you have been braking hard recently. Best to lick your finger before you touch anything that way if it's very hot you are OK.
If the caliper is dragging one side I would expect the one side to be warmer than the other.
Did you tighten the wheel bolts correctly ?. Did you refit the spring correctly on the front of the caliper ?
Did you copperslip the back of the pads and the ears where the pads contact the caliper ?
Used Mintex red box several times before and never had an brake squeal issues.
http://www.a5oc.com/forums/audi-a5-s5-tech/24879-diy-front-brake-disc.html

Reactions: Chop. and xpoweruk
Had it all off again this afternoon and cleaned the hub as it was quite uneven. Regreased and put it all back together so will see if still squeaking next time they get hot.
I have tightened wheel nuts correctly and the spring clip is fitted correctly.
Only issue I have is the little screw that holds the disc is place is snapped but as the wheel and nuts keep the disc in place I can't see that being the problem.
I have also noticed when reversing and I start breaking there is always a clunk. As if something is moving and it's on the same side

The little screw just stops the disc from moving when the wheel is off the car . That won't make any difference as you say the wheel bolt tension clamps the disc to the hub.