anyone help with head gasket

A31998

Reaction score
Right I've opened my oil cap on my Audi A3 1998 1.6, and there's water with the oil, there's no oil in the coolant, and the oil where dipstick is fine it's just the head that's got it in, water has been coming out of exhaust too but exhaust has blow in it on the flexi pipe so wasent sure whether it was coming out of engine or building up in exhaust some how, the cars not over heating what so ever, anyone know if this means deffo head gasket or what? Also if it is head gasket would I be better of just buying a mot failed Audi due to rust with a mechanically sound engine and swapping engine over, mine has 144.000 miles?

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    164.7 KB · Views: 113
Last edited:
It could be condensation and not a HG,common problem if you do short journeys.

Our old 1.6 in family had similar stuff under the oil cap and 1 month later the engine collapsed due piston warping.
We were told it will go away and just drive but seems not the case. I think it had blown HG because cylinder was very clean after the breakdown.

Definitely test HG and don't let your lovely A3 die.

I thought it could be just condensation from short journeys too, recently it's been sitting quite a lot too and it's been extremely cold so wouldn't know if that would have anything to do with it, I'm gunna have it taken for a compression test and hope the best! And every single pic I've found of head gasket gone the oil looks nothing like mine it just looks like pure cream lol

It could be condensation and not a HG,common problem if you do short journeys.
Also there's water coming out of exhaust too, and it's starting misfiring today, had it idling about 15 minutes today and now it's running lumpy doesn't sound right either?