Insurance.

Gazjs

Reaction score
I realise there is a dedicated insurance section, but this part of the forum sees higher traffic .

Looking to insure S3, who is everyone with? I have used the usual compassion website, but am aware that not all companies advertise on them.

Thanks in advance.

Direct line [42yrs]
£200.38 with PND, £0 Excess Voluntary Excess , Legal Cover

Reactions: Lhasa2008 and Sandra
Direct line [42yrs]
£200.38 with PND, £0 Excess Voluntary Excess , Legal Cover

Hmm well good luck with re-insuring with Direct Line. I was insured with them for 15 years, but when mine came up for renewal earlier this month, the premium had shot up over 38% !!!! Gave them a ring, and sorry nothing they can do, apparently they don't like 300bhp cars anymore, but instead have changed their business strategy to more "normal" cars like 1.6 Astra's Focus', Golf, A3's etc etc. So much for customer loyalty eh (no claims in last 20 years either).

Now insured with RAC, but also check LV, Aviva, Co-op and Zurich, as well as (surprisingly) Audi Insurance themselves (they have just "changed" underwriters and are now much more competitive. Price with RAC was less than I paid last year with Direct Line in the end, and that's with 0 voluntary excess as well, hire car and legal.

Hmm well good luck with re-insuring with Direct Line. I was insured with them for 15 years, but when mine came up for renewal earlier this month, the premium had shot up over 38% !!!!

Strange cause I had my TT insured with them before and have just swapped over to the S3 on the 1st March and I was even given a refund on my previous insurance maybe it's a postcode thing

Reactions: Sandra
Maybe it's because you swapped from a TT to an S3 mid insurance, rather than at renewal. Could also be a post code aspect but the reason given to me (twice in fact as I rang them up twice to confirm they could not do anything) was as above that "the company strategy was to focus more on the majority market of lower performance / mid range cars rather than the performance ones". I don't suppose they can refuse to insure you due to change of strategy, but can make it price prohibitive. Even my previous Evo and M3 were cheaper to insure than what they wanted this time and I'm low risk!!! And my S3 is pretty standard, no performance options or mods.

Just for the heck of it I put my details all in online and it came out even higher than their ridiculous renewal!!!

Shame as a good company, but they won't be getting my business any more for any of my other cars or their other products.

I will check out the mentioned insurers. Should kill some time in work! :D

Am I correct in thinking that I will get a weeks insurance when I collect?

That's great cheers.

I got my reg from the dealer, but it doesn't appear on insurance websites yet. A pain inputting everything manually.

£500 ... Yikes!

Reactions: SW14NY'S
Kirkcaldy. Yourself?

Picking up from Perth. Was ready on Friday, but will be this Friday before I can get it :(

Combination of work and salesperson off last weekend :(

This was an online quote that I just got from Direct line for the benefit of your thread

Doesn't seem overpriced to me

No it doesn't, so I just did an online quote putting in my details to check. Age 61, 20+ years NCB, 0 excess, additional named driver (wife - 15 years NCB), legal and protected no claims, up to 10K miles/year, no commuting - £623.06! They are having a laugh (not!). That does seem overpriced to me (and is over double what I insured my S3 for with the RAC)

Guess it must be a post code thing then....

28, 6 years NCB, B rated postcode (second best) I pay about £500, or £600 with the Mrs on the policy.

Excess of £350 and full legal/European cover for us both.

21, 0 years NCB, 3 additional drivers, £250 Excess. £1100 :)

Not far then!

Are there ever any local meets?

How was your experience with Striling? Been better than I could expect at Perth so far.
There was talks of getting a meet organised later in the year for the 8v owners and of course anyone else who wished to attend, once folk have collected their cars after the Mad March dash....nothing definite though.

I had a relatively good experience from Stirling...in the end, after an epic fail of my first order (turned up with the wrong interior) but they reordered my S3 and I landed up with a better car imo

Reactions: Sandra
I realise there is a dedicated insurance section, but this part of the forum sees higher traffic .

Looking to insure S3, who is everyone with? I have used the usual compassion website, but am aware that not all companies advertise on them.

Thanks in advance.

I found going direct worked out cheaper rather than going via a comparison site. I renewed last week with AXA, £280 fully comp, courtesy car upgrade option, legal cover, protected no claims and £300 excess (£250 of that was voluntary). I'm 44 with 14 years NCD, think the postcode rating in C. Also get 10% off for having a dash cam :)

21, 0 years NCB, 3 additional drivers, £250 Excess. £1100 :)
lol my nephew is paying more than that for an old Corsa, are you fully comp at that price?

I found going direct worked out cheaper rather than going via a comparison site. I renewed last week with AXA, £280 fully comp, courtesy car upgrade option, legal cover, protected no claims and £300 excess (£250 of that was voluntary). I'm 44 with 14 years NCD, think the postcode rating in C. Also get 10% off for having a dash cam :)

lol my nephew is paying more than that for an old Corsa, are you fully comp at that price?

Yep fully comp including legal cover.

There was talks of getting a meet organised later in the year for the 8v owners and of course anyone else who wished to attend, once folk have collected their cars after the Mad March dash....nothing definite though.

I had a relatively good experience from Stirling...in the end, after an epic fail of my first order (turned up with the wrong interior) but they reordered my S3 and I landed up with a better car imo

At least it went smoothly in the end then!

Hopefully the meet takes off. Would be good to attend.

Elephant insurance via a price comparison website.
Just tried them, they wanted £495....
I've had my S3 a year now, first year was with M&S for £326... Their renewal was £424
Tried Direct Line, they want £327... which starts on the 20th...
It has to be primarily down to postcode... as I'm 30:10 with 14yrs ncd

Just tried them, they wanted £495....
I've had my S3 a year now, first year was with M&S for £326... Their renewal was £424
Tried Direct Line, they want £327... which starts on the 20th...
It has to be primarily down to postcode... as I'm 30:10 with 14yrs ncd

Insurance is a funny thing to be honest,for example adding another driver you would think the premium would increase but nope it only made it cheaper. My postcode rating is a C, A being good and F being worst.

Looking likely I will be going with Direct Line. Came back with the best quote so far. Still time to search further though.

That's good rate. Elephant were very expensive for me.

They wouldn't touch my S1
so i went to Tesco, who insured my S1 for £300.

Tesco wouldn't touch my S3
so i went to Elephant for the above, £330.

its funny how insurance works.

Reactions: Gazjs
So after thinking I had everything settled, another spanner has been thrown in the works possibly ....

I received my documents today from Direct Line, and have read the policy through and realised I am listed as being "the legal owner and registered keeper of the car" ......

But am I? Surely the finance company is the legal owner? (PCP)

How has everyone else dealt with this?

So after thinking I had everything settled, another spanner has been thrown in the works possibly ....

I received my documents today from Direct Line, and have read the policy through and realised I am listed as being "the legal owner and registered keeper of the car" ......

But am I? Surely the finance company is the legal owner? (PCP)

How has everyone else dealt with this?

I'm on a PCP. And but I've listed myself as the registered keeper and the owner being the finance company. Upon reading the small print in the Audi finance documents that's what you have to do.

The first paragraph on the attached makes me think I have correctly informed them?

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 228
The first paragraph on the attached makes me think I have correctly informed them?

Just to be on the safe side I've give your insurance a ring and tell them that your not the legal owner and therefore it's written in the insurance policy. Last thing you would want is the insurers not paying out in a claim. Insurers will always look for a reason not the pay.

Reactions: Gazjs
One for the old un's.
I am with Saga . £150 I am 59 ., wife 57 full NCB , plus they give two years replacement for new . XS £150 IIRC.

Options not classified as modification

Overall the terms were better than most. I think Admiral wanted about £350

This is a crop from Direct Line policy 'Assumptions & Privacy' statements that you confirm to....seems to cover everything in their policy statement regarding legal ownership...but I have asked them to clarify this as this is the only declaration option when buying online...like a lot of us do

911ffd06a2b8ad965f55d0b6ca1a88c3.jpg

This is a crop from Direct Line policy 'Assumptions & Privacy' statements that you confirm to....seems to cover everything in their policy statement regarding legal ownership...but I have asked them to clarify this as this is the only declaration option when buying online...like a lot of us do

911ffd06a2b8ad965f55d0b6ca1a88c3.jpg

I too questioned this statement. As, as far I was aware, I was covered under this.

When my documents arrived though, they stated legal owner and registered keeper.

After a phone call I got new documents which state "who is not the legal owner but is the registered keeper of the car"

It is very unclear in your quite though.