Headlight bulbs keep blowing?

S

Scott_Crossley

Hi guys,

My bulbs in my headlights keep blowing, every couple of months they blow and I have to faf about changing them (if you've ever changed one you will know the pain)

Does anyone else have this problem or has anyone heard of this?

My car is a 2010 2.0 tdi

Thanks in advance

No mate, I've tried 5 different types, can't remember the first 2 sets (they were recommended from the forum) then I tried some standard ones, then I tried Halfrauds all weather bulbs and now I've just fitted yesterday GE Sport bulbs.

No mate, I've tried 5 different types, can't remember the first 2 sets (they were recommended from the forum) then I tried some standard ones, then I tried Halfrauds all weather bulbs and now I've just fitted yesterday GE Sport bulbs.
Thats strange indeed, id have said bulbs may have been faulty, but from so many different places i cant see how they could be.

Years ago a garage i worked at got bulbs from Ranstad, they were cheap (501 bulb 15p, headlight 477 57p) they use to blow within weeks

Bulbs normally blow when there is a voltage surge or loose connection.
Check all earths for tightness and corrosion.
Check terminals are tight where they connect to bulb
Check batt cables clean and tight.
Check relays sitting in there sockets (pull out and replace to clean terminals (friction)
Wiggle headlight sw and stalks to ensure contacts are OK

etc

I've tried all that mate, Didn't find anything wrong like that. The bulbs work fine when they are on, they don't cut out or dim or anything like that they are just fine, but after a week or a month they decide to blow, I've had 1 go then a few days later the other. I had one time when I started the car at night time to find they had both gone together!

If the headlight suffers vibration the filaments could literally be shaken until broken, have you very stiff suspension which could cause this. Only other likely cause I can think of is higher voltage blowing them. You can only check with a voltmeter at the headlight connector for this. Doesn't help that it's so intermittent.

If the headlight suffers vibration the filaments could literally be shaken until broken, have you very stiff suspension which could cause this. Only other likely cause I can think of is higher voltage blowing them. You can only check with a voltmeter at the headlight connector for this. Doesn't help that it's so intermittent.

I've got standard suspension mate so I don't think that's the issue. Still clueless as to why it's doing this