Fitting Wheel spacers

john_cook

I was the STIG.
Reaction score
Hello,

I hope someone can help me. I have a 2005 A3 TDI sport (non quattro) and it has 19x8 alloy wheels with 235/35/19 tyres. It has been lowered 30mm on Eibach springs.

Now, I want to fit wheel spacers to the rear wheels only as they dont look like they fill the arches enough. I'm not experienced with using wheel spacers and wondered if anyone could tell me here whether they had experience putting spacers on the new A3. THe arches look like they can take it, using a crude measurement with 2 of my fingers pointing up and lying against the outside rim of the tyre they fit inside the wheel arch. No I havent got fat fingers, just normal fingers!

Someone on here has some hubcentric 5 x 112 FK wheelspacers for sale which he ran on his A4 with 8.5x18 alloy wheels no problem. Obviously the A3 and A4 are different.

Basically, will it be safe to fit 15mm spacers on each side or should I aim for something more like 10mm? Is it a trial and error type situation where I just have to fit them and run them on the car to see if it will work? I appreciate any advice.

Yours sincerely

Cooky

Here are some pics of mine. They are first the left rear, then the right rear, then the left rear and a bit of wood lying flush with the tyre wall and then the right rear with the wood flush to the tyre wall. COnfused yet :confused: ?, you better be, here goes...

psg001-LR.JPG

psg001-RR.JPG

psg001-LF.JPG

psg001-RF.JPG

Cooky

Cooky,

Judging by the pics, you should be able to fit the 15mm spacers without any problem. You have plenty of gap between the tyre and arch at present. Heres a wee pic of my car with its 19" rims (but it is slammed on coilovers!!):

00311.jpg

Scott

Cooky,

Look in the A3/S3 (8L chassis) section of the forum. There is a post (2 or 3 posts down) headed up SPACERS. If you scroll down the post you will see a pic of a silver S3 with 19" RS6 alloys - it has 15mm spacers fitted to the front and rear wheels. Looks pretty good!!

Scott

When buying wheel spacers it is up to you to be sensible and buy spacers that will not cause tyre/arch contact. Simply measure the space you have between tyre and arch then give yourself an approx 5mm safety gap. For example if the distance between the tyre and arch is 20mm order a 15mm or smaller spacer.

I don't suppose you have anything to do with wheel spacers..........