Boost leak testing

goodbuzzman1

Reaction score
i want to do a boost leak test on my BAM S3. no local garages seem to be able to provide such a service. I was watching a few vids of people doing it such as this guy on his TT as well as a few others.
If I was to run it in to the TIP, how much pressure can I pump in before I risk damaging the turbo/seals etc. I also see these guys clamping the hose from the hockey puck back to the TIP. I'm assuming rather than clamping it I could bung both ends?

When I did it the air would just constantly flow through - you wont be able to get much pressure because it will leak out the open valves and such and your compressor probably wont keep up. Also 5psi and some soapy water was enough to find some leaks in my intercooler piping.

I made a diy smoke tester. Got a paint tin - lit an oily rag on fire - put the lid on which put out the fire - pumped air into the tin with my compressor and had an outlet in the tin which I put into the TIP.

Since the line coming out the paint tin was a lot smaller than the tip (was like a 6 or 8mm silicone hose) I used a funnel and shoved that in the tip and then shoved the silicone hose into the funnel. Didn't use any clamps just had someone hold it and I looked for leaks. Another alternative is a thick rubber glove over the tip and then cut a hole and stick the hose from the paint tin in the glove with some tape