a6 2.0tdi saloon oil light

ukbertie

Reaction score
I have a 07 2ltr diesel , the low oil pressure light came on , i got home only about a mile ,cheked the oil and it was at the right level, i rang audi and they said it was oil pump . now i was a mechanic for years in the army and although im not up to latest specs on engines know when a oil pump fails , no bonging no loss of power no rattles etc . i ran and oil flush through and changed oil filter oil presssure sender and replaced the oil . started her up and still the oil light comes on , i called out local audi garage who ran a diagnostic on her with no faults , although oil warnning light still flashing . Had a bit of an argument with the man as he said its oil pump but i pointed out to him the car had been running for at least half hr and if oil pump had gone the engine would have seized etc , i asked how much to replace oil pump if it was that and he said about 2k ouch !!! i have since done a bit of research and a lot of peeps have said that the oil pick up strainer in the sump is prone to blocking has any body have any experince of this

Yes it's a common fault the strainer, but it would cause the pump to become starved of oil and therefore produce low oil pressure. It's possible that is happening to an extent, but I would expect that to flag an error code!
If that is your fault, it's not too difficult to rectify - there is a modified pickup you can fit to solve the issue. Fitting is simply a case of dropping the sump, removing the old pickup and fitting the new one. You would also be able to inspect the old on for blockages.

where can i get the part as audi havent a clue what im on about , asked for the oil sump strainer , doesnt have one sir , well is it called something else ? i cant advice you till i know what part your after sir

It's also called a oil pick up pipe.

Thanks , i order d one for £15 so not bad asked how much they would charge to fit it £650 im in the wrong trade

Not heard of block strainers on 2.0 tdi, only on 1.8 T.
Not sure what engine engine code is fitted to the A6s, but it was a known fault for the BKD 2.0TDi in my old A3. I changed mine as matter of course when I had my sump off for something else.

Take the oil sump off and check the strayner, they do clog with debrys however the low pressure issue is caused by the hex shaft driving the oil pump/balancer shaft assembly, it wears/rounds off at the ends thus turning freely into the balancer shaft module. Sometimes a new hex shaft is all it needs and it lasts another 50-80k but to cure the problem there are modified balancer shafts with a pressed bush which is better fit and lets you fit the longer, modified hex shaft. It's a well known problem on the 2.0tdi PD and CR engines...