Celebrating my A3 sportback

wideboybloke

Reaction score
I've loved owning my car for the 16 months I've had it. Nothing remarkable in that and I'm sure other owners feel the same. However, I'm prompted to post in praise of it today because last night it made me so glad that it's the car I have chosen to drive.

I had a 150 mile round trip on the M3, M25 and A1(M). Traffic was OK and all drivers were being sensible (unusually for the M25 - there are normally a few idiots who insist on making it dangerous for everybody else), but the weather was appalling -driving fine rain and blustery winds the whole journey, with frequent pools of water across the whole carriageway. I wasn't particularly looking forward to the drive, but it was a necessity. However, despite the awful conditions I felt so safe in the car. It felt truly planted on the road and never once faltered through all that surface water. I cruised at mostly 70 mph with the odd stretch at 80.

I was relieved to arrive back home finally and very satisfied that I chose such a well-engineered car. It is shod with Continental contisports by the way.

Reactions: Wondering Soul, TonyH38, Simon L and 2 others
I agree, unless you are driving like a k*** it won't let you down. We sometimes forgot how capable and sure footed in bad conditions the A3 is in all its guises.

Reactions: Simon L
I've loved owning my car for the 16 months I've had it. Nothing remarkable in that and I'm sure other owners feel the same. However, I'm prompted to post in praise of it today because last night it made me so glad that it's the car I have chosen to drive.

I had a 150 mile round trip on the M3, M25 and A1(M). Traffic was OK and all drivers were being sensible (unusually for the M25 - there are normally a few idiots who insist on making it dangerous for everybody else), but the weather was appalling -driving fine rain and blustery winds the whole journey, with frequent pools of water across the whole carriageway. I wasn't particularly looking forward to the drive, but it was a necessity. However, despite the awful conditions I felt so safe in the car. It felt truly planted on the road and never once faltered through all that surface water. I cruised at mostly 70 mph with the odd stretch at 80.

I was relieved to arrive back home finally and very satisfied that I chose such a well-engineered car. It is shod with Continental contisports by the way.

Hey WBB...up here in the Costa Del Glasgow, we have been getting this weather for 6/7 weeks constant frickin rain and wind...Horrendous its been,l started a new job Nov 9th and only one it has not rained....but the car has ploughed through all the deep standing water...nearly kissed a burd in a new Beetle as l was that close to her....when my car veered to the left going through standing water on a dual carriageway...she was no bad lookin either...lol

Reactions: Wondering Soul and Simon L
Hey WBB...up here in the Costa Del Glasgow, we have been getting this weather for 6/7 weeks constant frickin rain and wind...Horrendous its been,l started a new job Nov 9th and only one it has not rained....but the car has ploughed through all the deep standing water...nearly kissed a burd in a new Beetle as l was that close to her....when my car veered to the left going through standing water on a dual carriageway...she was no bad lookin either...lol

So fickle and easily distracted you are J......................blonde or brunette btw?? lol

Back on topic....................coz we wouldn't want to go 'off-piste' now would we??!!.....................they are monstrously good cars in the wet. I know some have criticized the Conti's when they get a bit of mileage on them but when they're still pretty fresh the grip is superb.

Reactions: Jassyo06
I don't drive anywhere near on the limit, but even so I've never felt unsafe on the Contis. They have now covered 12,500 miles, so a fair degree of wear. My only problem with them is the noise they make!

Reactions: Wondering Soul
I'm on my second set of Conti Sport 5's on this car now, had no real issues with them and have pushed them quite far for what they are. Wet performance leaves a little to be desired when pushing it but that and road noise are the only issues I've really had from them!