S3 manual gearbox limits

Smirky

Reaction score
evening,
Had a little search but can't seem to find much info on the subject,is there an 'average' figure the gearbox tends to give up or is it totally unique to the box and how it's been treated in its life? Bar-tek do an uprated box for about 1500 how does that compare vs having your own box upgraded?
Any ideas or info welcomed

I think a lot is down to how the box is treated,as well as maybe a bit of luck.

The casing is known to crack around the bearings if a lot of drag runs on high torque are done,and there are some things like Darkside Developments strengthening plates designed to aid with this.

Previously,a number of us felt that the limits were around 450lbs,but I would say it's higher.
My 'box was rebuilt at 40k miles when the synchros,selector forks and bearings were found to be worn,and the transfer case was ruined.

Since the rebuild,with uprated bearings,the 'box now copes with 540+lbs on a daily basis,but it isn't subjected to drag runs,as that would finish it for sure.

I think a lot is down to how the box is treated,as well as maybe a bit of luck.

The casing is known to crack around the bearings if a lot of drag runs on high torque are done,and there are some things like Darkside Developments strengthening plates designed to aid with this.

Previously,a number of us felt that the limits were around 450lbs,but I would say it's higher.
My 'box was rebuilt at 40k miles when the synchros,selector forks and bearings were found to be worn,and the transfer case was ruined.

Since the rebuild,with uprated bearings,the 'box now copes with 540+lbs on a daily basis,but it isn't subjected to drag runs,as that would finish it for sure.
Cool , I haven't noticed anything but my old man drove it today and said I thought 3rd felt a bit notchy so maybe just being paranoid! I don't really do a lot of 0 upwards drag runs do how ever partake in a few 50-60-80 upwards runs on a friends private runway of course :)

Cool , I haven't noticed anything but my old man drove it today and said I thought 3rd felt a bit notchy so maybe just being paranoid! I don't really do a lot of 0 upwards drag runs do how ever partake in a few 50-60-80 upwards runs on a friends private runway of course :)

The changes on mine were a bit notchy,and the most obvious thing was the whine in 2nd and 5th.

It does have the odd rolling run out with a lot of torque being put down.

The changes on mine were a bit notchy,and the most obvious thing was the whine in 2nd and 5th.

It does have the odd rolling run out with a lot of torque being put down.
I haven't noticed any strange noises I'll keep an eye in it