Audi MMI confusion with AMI woes

randomaudi

Reaction score
Hi all,

So I've read an awful lot about Audi MMI but still feel uncertain as to what I actually have. So many ifs and buts involved.

So hoping someone more experienced can help me definitively identify it.

My two end goals are (through a retrofit I imagine but ideas welcome) to stream my apple music from my iphone via bluetooth so that I can just get in to my car, auto connect and control the music via the steering.

I would also ideally like DAB - because fuzziness makes me sad lol

Before I can know what needs doing (and find the parts and someone to install) I need to determine exactly what I have.

The clues:

- On the unit it says Symphony
- It has an sd card reader on the actual unit
- The wheel/ knob is on the unit (not next to the gear stick)
- In the centre console I have an aux port
- In the centre console I also have some pins that look like they are for a phone cradle or something
- I can connect my phone to the car via bluetooth for calls only, no music :(
- From what I can tell I do not have an AMI port (nothing in the centre console or in the glovebox)
- Beside the MMI wheel I have a Media button (where I can select aux from)
- My glovebox has no shelf
- I have a cd player (which id like to keep intact)

The sound set up screen under version information shows:

Radio No: 8T2035195H
Display No: 8T0919603A
HW: H02
SW: 0210

So thats my lot.

Any help would be appreciated. Ideas and tips on achieving the AMI and DAB would also be extremely helpful.

Thanks for reading

p.s I'm in the Lancashire area.

If you've got a Symphony radio and want to go to MMI 3GP then you've got a very expensive retrofit on your hands.

You'll need a MMI 3GP main unit, radio unit, keypad, screen and trim, CAN Gateway plus harness from Kufatec as a basic then you'll need an AMI cable, new DAB antenna amps, GPS antenna plus a few other sundries.

Labour wise half the interior will need to come out and you'll need a trip to a main dealer to remove Component Protection. The unit will need coding to the car with VCDS and the Green menu. Audi will also not update any maps for you in the future and you will get faults appear if the car goes into Audi for servicing.

If you have any change from £1.5k I'll be very surprised. Not wanting to put you off but it's not for the light hearted.

I do believe you can get bog standard wired AMI for the chorus and symphony head units but only 3gp can do it over bluetooth.

I think in your shoes I'd look for aftermarket solutions from the likes of Connects2 etc.

Last edited:
Thanks for that @Slackworth , really appreciate the advise. Does that mean I have MMI low?

Hmm yeah agreed, that sounds like too much work and cost to justify the features (guess its something to look forward to on my next audi or maybe if its cheap enough I'll go for the basic ami).

If I went for a cheap AMI could I then just use a ViseeO Tune2Air WMA3000A to auto connect via bluetooth and then also use steering controls? Thats my main usecase really.

From the research I've done so far I was looking at some options on here:
http://www.advanced-incar.co.uk/cat...x/?cat=28&dir=desc&order=relevance&q=audi+ami

They have a few but I haven't the foggiest if I should go genuine or aftermarket (or what would even work). Any recommendations? The one I "think" I need is http://www.advanced-incar.co.uk/audi-ami-retrofit-for-a4-8k-a5-q5

Also they are down south so hoping I can find someone cheaper and a little more local. I noticed the parts section on audi-sport, will ask. Maybe I'll get lucky.

Thanks again for your help. I should have really done my research before buying the car but as its my first Audi its all a learning curve at the moment lol. Still extremely happy with it though.

Last edited:
What year is your car as Audi do retrofit kits for AMI but it depends on what MY you have. If at the slightly older end of the B8 you will need a new glovebox too.

@Slackworth It is 58 plate and 8K. Yeah from what I've seen I just have a normal glovebox but the AMI needs a shelf as well.

That looks interesting, by the sounds of it it replaces the cd changer though and you have to press CD every time to switch. Seems a bit too hacky having to press CD. I wonder if this would put people off at resell.

I think I will most likely go for something like this - http://www.advanced-incar.co.uk/audi-ami-retrofit-for-a4-8k-a5-q5

It comes to £450 with fitting and they can install with the shelf glovebox or without. Will try and look around and try and find if anyone can provide this setup cheaper. Are their any retro fitters on this site that you know of? Also emailed Audi to see what their retrofit cost is.

Will post an update on my progress, thanks again for your advise mate.

Advanced Incar are a forum sponsor - give @Cruiser89 a shout.

The parts are fairly expensive and I would think Audi will be around £600. Unless you do it yourself I think you'll get it much cheaper.