Fuel Pump

Mushroom100

Reaction score
Hi everyone. Sorry if this is in the wrong section - no good with computers.

I've currently got a 2001 S3 engine in my Mk1 Golf, with the fuel pump high up in the bay. It's been running terrible lately as if its struggling to deliver fuel and I think its down to the fuel pump which totally went on me the other day. The car wouldn't even start unless I tapped the pump continuously while someone else started it. But now even that doesn't work. I'm guessing that with the pump being higher than the fuel tank, the pump is struggling to prime itself as it will back drain when the car is turned off, and therefore struggling to pick up when I try to restart it. Its been running fine for the last year so unsure why this would only happen now but seems the only logical explanation. I'm going to buy a new pump and get someone to relocate it to under the fuel tank for me to see if that helps. Can anyone recommend me a reliable cheap pump please and tell me your thoughts? Thanks. Dean

Are you using a gti fuel tank setup in your golf as mk1s suffer with rusty filler necks that cause all sorts of problems with pumps, pressure accumulators etc on the original golf engines.

Could be worth checking that out first.

It's not a gti, was originally a 1.1 driver! And I suppose I haven't checked that, but would be a dam good idea to do it. I will do, thankyou!

It's not a gti, was originally a 1.1 driver! And I suppose I haven't checked that, but would be a dam good idea to do it. I will do, thankyou!

So you are using the original 1.1 pump to fuel the S3 engine?

<tuffty/>

No its an uprated racing fuel pump, probably broke as i have no filter or anything on the suction. I'm replacing the pump, do you think it would be best for me to re-locate the pump to under the fuel tank or keep the same position (above the fuel tank in the engine bay)

the tank is still the golfs 1983 so its an out of tank pump. i ordered a DA-31 pump but it was a faulty pump, and the dealer said its a 2 week wait until the next one arrives in the warehouse. Can anyone send me a link to out of tank electric fuel pump that is suitable for a s3 engine please? Preferably under £100