S3 and tunnels

jaypers777

Reaction score
Own up, who doesn't? You know what I'm talking about. Any enclosed tunnel type structure and the kid in me comes out. Did the same today......sounded epic. Love it.

Reactions: tektrob, THQuattro, Rob2k68 and 2 others
Well I hate to admit it but........have to admit to putting a bit of a gap between me and the car in front so I can drop it down a gear or two.......... :) :) :)

Reactions: 15audis3, tektrob and jaypers777
And don't forget to open the windows before flooring it

On a related note floored it on quiet road close to work this morning was a picture to see the three builders in high viz vests and hard hats turn there heads simultaneously as I came up behind them :grinning:

Reactions: RGBARGEE, Simon L and jaypers777
Multi Storey car parks are epic for the noise!! Especially when you go up to the top then back down to 1st level to only go back up to the empty top level again to get the space I spotted on the 1st pass....haha

Reactions: G-S3, S3-SS, Daveotto and 1 other person
Bunch of juveniles you lot................wouldn't dream of doing anything like that!! :whistle2:

Reactions: Matthew_S3, mr gee, Blackwhite and 2 others
Yup, don't mind admitting it ha

Saltash tunnel near me on a stretch of the A38. Absolutely deafening when it pops..feel like a right boy racer though so its not often it does get done..lol

Reactions: rvtb101 and Simon L
I'll hold my hand up high.
Doesn't even need to be a tunnel... Bit of empty road, houses on either side to reverb the DSG...

Reactions: tektrob, batch, AndyB-S3 and 2 others
In my previous A3 the V6 sounded lovely, my friends R32 sounded even better! Always have the windows down and S mode!

The S3 however, it sounds good but not as nice....downfall of a turbo!

Reactions: buz
Yup, don't mind admitting it ha

Saltash tunnel near me on a stretch of the A38. Absolutely deafening when it pops..feel like a right boy racer though so its not often it does get done..lol

Holmesdale tunnel, M25 jct 25 is pretty good

Reactions: Wanty, Steve 2015 s3 and Wondering Soul
Not put mine through a tunnel yet... But my local high street (if you can call it that) gives a nice noise, slow speed and plant the throttle briefly in Dynamic...

Picking my car up Saturday morning.There are three tunnels between where I live and the garage....:yahoo:
Can't wait.....:hubbahubba:

Reactions: xBox, Ben Daniel Grant, slayaz and 3 others
Can't deny the S3 sounds good, but for me, I'd love to put a Kawasaki H2R through a tunnel on full chat - well actually I'd love an H2R!!!!

Reactions: Bristle Hound, Tej13 and AndyB-S3
every tunnel near me has a ****** speed camera in it...........

yep, me too.

I went to Norfolk on Friday morning and left some space between me and the car in front to hammer it in the Dartford Tunnel.

Reactions: Simon L
yep, me too.

I went to Norfolk on Friday morning and left some space between me and the car in front to hammer it in the Dartford Tunnel.

......now that I don't mind at all as all your doing is enjoying your car :)

What I do find completely naff is when your nose to tail in rush hour traffic and you get some tool in a Cooper S in the inside lane who starts doing this just as you pull alongside and proceeds to repeat this a half dozen times or so!!

Needless to say me and my missus just looked at him and laughed............................ ;)

Picking my car up Saturday morning.There are three tunnels between where I live and the garage....:yahoo:
Can't wait.....:hubbahubba:
Mine turns up tomorrow at work, and there is a HUUUGE tunnel here. Guess what the first thing is I'm doing?

Reactions: Matthew_S3, pburv and Simon L
Can imagine the RS3 must sound epic in a tunnel. Saw one the other day and was impressed with the sound when just on standard roads. Can't beat the sound of a V8 in a tunnel though :yes:

Panroof open, into sport....bwaaaarrpppp.

Still wish the noise had a little more character though, bar the gear changes its pretty mundane. Give me some crackles goddamit.

Reactions: Simon L and Wondering Soul
Little mini tunnel near Biddulph...I just can't resist!

Can imagine the RS3 must sound epic in a tunnel. Saw one the other day and was impressed with the sound when just on standard roads. Can't beat the sound of a V8 in a tunnel though :yes:
When I went to the dealership to sign the paperwork I noticed they parked my car next to a black RS3 waiting for it's new owner..
Needless to say I was :puke2: with envy....(not sure if the dealership were rubbing my nose in it..lol)

Reactions: Wondering Soul
M3 slip coming out of Winchester has a descent tunnel couldn't resist booting it with the window down

For those down south, there is a great little tunnel on the A26 just by Lewes.

Its not that long and there is a roundabout at each end (more or less). I must admit to going through it a few of times just after I got the car!

Reactions: Wondering Soul and Simon L

Its not that long and there is a roundabout at each end (more or less). I must admit to going through it a few of times just after I got the car!

Yep good little tunnel that one, not been through it with the S3 though.........yet ;)

Reactions: Tej13

Yep, the Cuilfail tunnel. Acoustically excellent and you enter from a standing start!

Reactions: Simon L and Tej13
I was encouraged to do this by the Audi salesman when I went to try the S3 for the first time. As a result I ended up buying one, but sadly for the Audi salesman not from him. I know its a tad juvenile, but it gives a whole didn't feel to the commute to work. I'll just be sad when this work contract ends and the only tunnels I'll be going through are train tunnels on the 18:23 out of Kings Cross!!

Yup. Guilty as charged :D

Altho' I don't tend to use tunnels as they're none near me so I use our local Asda underground car park. Oh & I don't use a S3 either ;) :laugh:

Got barred out of the underground car park at Asda when we had the R56 MINI JCW. The exhaust on that used to go off like a machine gun in sport mode. Great fun but spoiled by the over zealous security at Asda :laugh::laugh::laugh:

Childish behaviour ? Yes. Great fun? Oh yes indeedy! :D

Reactions: veeeight, Simon L and Blackwhite
there isn't really many tunnels in Plymouth...The Tamar tunnel is short and always busy or some sod is sat at half the desired limit...

Although, i did go to swansea two weeks ago, and found a tunnel on the M4. That was the highlight of the trip, and then on the return my friend had picked up his AMG SKL55, we both had fun!

Reactions: batch
Yup. Guilty as charged :D

Altho' I don't tend to use tunnels as they're none near me so I use our local Asda underground car park. Oh & I don't use a S3 either ;) :laugh:

Got barred out of the underground car park at Asda when we had the R56 MINI JCW. The exhaust on that used to go off like a machine gun in sport mode. Great fun but spoiled by the over zealous security at Asda :laugh::laugh::laugh:

Childish behaviour ? Yes. Great fun? Oh yes indeedy! :D

I always did like a little "mischief" in my Dawgs. :dogface::tongueclosed:

Reactions: Bristle Hound
M3 slip coming out of Winchester has a descent tunnel couldn't resist booting it with the window down

Did this tunnel last night when i was out playing :) only got the car saturday, out looking for tunnels on tuesday lol

Reactions: Ben Daniel Grant and Simon L
Did this tunnel last night when i was out playing :) only got the car saturday, out looking for tunnels on tuesday lol

Spill the beans then..... Where was the best tunnel that you found? I want to have a go :friends:

Thers one in winchester on a side road which is pretty much allways empty takes me back to my vauxhall nova days!!! i know i know but we all had to start somewear lol:tearsofjoy:

Reactions: thebluefox and Simon L
Thers one in winchester on a side road which is pretty much allways empty takes me back to my vauxhall nova days!!! i know i know but we all had to start somewear lol:tearsofjoy:

My first car was a Renault Clio Mk1, 1.8 16v - little brother to the Williams.

I had it slammed on its **** with a straight through exhaust. Weighed nothing, 140bhp, handled like a gokart, even spat flames when the exhaust was nice and warm.

Loved that thing!!

Reactions: Ben Daniel Grant and 24styles
My first car was a Renault Clio Mk1, 1.8 16v - little brother to the Williams.

I had it slammed on its **** with a straight through exhaust. Weighed nothing, 140bhp, handled like a gokart, even spat flames when the exhaust was nice and warm.

Loved that thing!!
MK1 Fiesta XR2, Subaru 555 blue, white RL7 Raceline wheels, carbon fibre dash and door cards, Sparco race seats... 1740 crossflow on twin 40s with a very lairy cam, Accralite pistons and huge valve head. Now THAT sounded amazing through tunnels - and really did spit flames from the back, 3ft ones on overrun if I remember correctly! 40s make a wonderful noise too!

Reactions: thebluefox and AndyB-S3
I took the kids (2 and 5 yrs old) through their first tunnel today.

Apparently Daddy's new car is fun!! I certainly think so and it's safe to say it brings the child out in me!

(no speed limits were broken for long for anyone thinking I am an irresponsible parent)

Just hope my daughter doesn't go blabbing too much to her mummy!

Reactions: JohnM100, Ben Daniel Grant, Simon L and 1 other person

Apparently Daddy's new car is fun!! I certainly think so and it's safe to say it brings the child out in me!

(no speed limits were broken for long for anyone thinking I am an irresponsible parent)

In a way, I think we all are like little kids
when it comes to our cars. Carefree:::::
Nothing wrong with that at all. Enjoy.

..............make the most of it mate, coz trust me once they get to teenagers they'll blab on you any chance they get!! lol

..............make the most of it mate, coz trust me once they get to teenagers they'll blab on you any chance they get!! lol
Not just teenagers. When the went to North Wales, there are some great tunnels just past Llandudno and I was like a big kid. My 24 year old son couldn't wait to blab to mummy what a child I had been. It was awesome though!

Reactions: pburv
Not just teenagers. When the went to North Wales, there are some great tunnels just past Llandudno and I was like a big kid. My 24 year old son couldn't wait to blab to mummy what a child I had been. It was awesome though!
Those are the tunnels on my way home from my local Audi garage.
Great fun (when there are no roadworks :sadlike:)...