Quick S3 Valuation (Buying)

Persian

CEO
Reaction score
Hey guys,

So from owning several 8P's 1.6, 1.8 TFSI and 3.2 I'm looking at s3's and can't really afford the 8P's hence wanted a quick value on how much the 8l's are worth and whether it's a good option?

How much should I be looking to spend on 8l's considering most of them are between 70-100k miles and 3/4 owners?

I've been searching around good clean examples with mods on and engines rebuilds go for 5/6k whilst the non-modded are from 2k above?

And along with that any specials I should look out for when buying one?

Cheers,

3k+ mate there r loads of dogs out there so have a rac / aa check on it,

my guess is it would be probs best buying of a member on here pal.
there is some awesome cars on here that get what they need wen they need it

Thanks for the tip, I actually have never done a check but seems to be worth the £100+

Any chance anyone know why some s3's get the lighter cream/beige head lining? And how hard is to re-dye these, only seen 1 person do it on the forum.

No point redying...might aswell reupholster....managed to take mine off, reupholster myself and refit within a complete day...but of a pain to do though! But total cost = £30 so not bad :)

Reactions: Persian
You need to make a post on that I've been all over the 8p forum asking how people do so ... No luck

Condition and history more important than miles on the clock. At 175,000 mine is better than it was 6 years ago when I bought it at 63,000 as it has wanted for nothing, I've seen other S3's with much fewer miles that are FUBAR'd history is key to getting a good S3

Reactions: Shorty43
Cheers for that mate, currently gonna go do a couple viewings just not too sure how I should trust sellers with what they claim i.e most claim it has relentless manifold or certain mods have been carried out, but not all can be checked upon purchase.

I didn't trust any of the docs on mine (I reckon the guy wrote them himself), but I bought mine at the lower end of the price scale - and can see why.

I think you should perhaps consider you will spend at least £500-£1000 in the first few months on a 15 year old "classic" car. So you know what is what - unless you go to the higher marked price eg 4.5-5K?

My only issue with buying from a forum, is the awkwardness if (when) it goes wrong which S3's will and also they cost a lot to keep / get to a good standard but that should not be considered in re-sale value.

My main concern was a timing belt coming from a stream of cam chain setups over my last few cars, I actually sold my Alfa because it was due a timing belt - and even though I have a receipt showing 2013 I would like to get it done.

I didn't trust any of the docs on mine (I reckon the guy wrote them himself), but I bought mine at the lower end of the price scale - and can see why.

I think you should perhaps consider you will spend at least £500-£1000 in the first few months on a 15 year old "classic" car. So you know what is what - unless you go to the higher marked price eg 4.5-5K?

My only issue with buying from a forum, is the awkwardness if (when) it goes wrong which S3's will and also they cost a lot to keep / get to a good standard but that should not be considered in re-sale value.

My main concern was a timing belt coming from a stream of cam chain setups over my last few cars, I actually sold my Alfa because it was due a timing belt - and even though I have a receipt showing 2013 I would like to get it done.

If you don't mind me asking whats the lower scale that you speak about? I see s3's with 100k miles at the moment for 3-4k whilst others list them for 2K and thats my main problem/concern as Im not familiar with S3 8L's and their price? its a hard choice but at least I've made my mind up to get one (hopefully a good one).

Thanks for your input anyways

get one with history, clutch and new turbo if possible, piece of mind and two big bills outta the way. rods will be a bonus if you plan on big power too. cam belt, oil pump and pick up pipe will need doing if you have no proof of it being done, pick up pipe is my biggest worry on 1.8t, an engine killer but cheap to do if your good with a spanner.

can clearly see a relentless manifold if its fitted, just ask for receipts of stuff you cant see.

Thanks for that, will keep an eye out for those you mentioned above.

I am terrible when it comes to buying stuff - so I can give advice which I never follow - I go there with a list and end up forgetting to go through it and just grin at what will soon be mine. what I have managed to do recently is haggle - even if you only knock off the cost of a service or a tyre you just feel happy.

I have seen some for 2400 but they were hundreds of miles away.

so mine was 2900 - 2 days later misfired - so new coil (got a spare coil) and spark plugs, did oil service and haldex service. The brakes are in fine condition but rubbish, the longitudal abs sensor needs replacing, the cd player didn't work, the radio reception is non existent so needs an aerial, one of the tyres has a slow puncture, I think the exhaust pipe is blowing, I needed to repair the drivers door blade and door mechanism and I have removed the N249 and put back the N75. the paintwork is fine apart from some bubbles on a wheel arch, the interior is pretty good condition.

looking through the paperwork it has had a new clutch had the timing belt done, sunroof motor, seat motors and a whopping £1700 spent on the gearbox. the original owner spent about 6K in servicing for the 1st 6 years.

a showroom "noggy" is about 4.5K - so assuming I keep this in good order it will not lose money.

Reactions: mister.c., Perplexer and Persian
My advice from buying 2 and having a few issues with the 1st one which was loads of boost hoses etc needing replacing and also turbo seals going, to the second one I recently bought for alot more money which also has problems. I would 100% pay for a rac or aa health check and diagnostic check for any fault codes etc.
My experience has sadly been tainted but I should have been smarter when buying

My S3 breaks all the time, had it two years and had 25 issues to sort, just glad ive had this lot on here, vcds and my halfords pro toolkit lol....

I'm slowly giving up been contacting more than 5/6 sellers and none seem to be any good. For some reason (perhaps I can't search properly) there isn't a lot for sale on the forum either?

you have to think of this as a classic vehicle, if one is perfect unless someone needs to sell for baby, house deposit it wont be for sale, so it will need some work, sometimes people simply run out of energy / time / money and don't manage to keep it perfect.

I had a 1986 VW T25 Camper for years and I treat this the same way apart from it goes 140MPH and I cant sleep in it.

There are loads for sale on autotrader and ebay - I am not looking though otherwise I will start wishing I bought a different one :)
like an orange one 150K £2299 new cam belt at 130K - I liked the colour and interior trim of mine though.

you will find one you want to buy

Reactions: mister.c., tomjol and Persian
s3 is all about miles per fault code, not miles per gallon :D

oh, hang on, that's **** too.

however... when you get it all working and it makes boosts, you'll forget all that and grin.

drive it and think what its worth on the day, if you're happy, buy away. it's an old car though, so get ready for spanners or bills... or Bill's ;)

i bought cheap and did the work, at least i know the car and what's been done so far. no audi history, but loads of receipts for work and servicing. also some for body shop work, though i had spotted it beforehand. even managed to find a couple of years history logged here on the forum before i went to see it.

always, always be prepared to walk away, there's another for sale...

Reactions: Persian and Alex C
Sorry for the stupid questions but whilst you guys are here might as well use your help

The past God knows how many cars I've seen most cambelts have been replaced about 20/30k miles ago?

Is this any good or will it possibly be in need for a replacement soon again?

You'll know a good one when you see and test drive a few. It's the only way.

I would personally buy off a forum regular than average joe. Something I didn't do. But in being a forum reg, a certain amount of care for the car comes with it, generally.

But seriously, view and test drive LOADS

You'll know a good one when you see and test drive a few. It's the only way.

I would personally buy off a forum regular than average joe. Something I didn't do. But in being a forum reg, a certain amount of care for the car comes with it, generally.

But seriously, view and test drive LOADS

Cheers mate, yh after seeing 2 and speaking to a few on phone and email I seem to understand where everyone is coming from I'm gonna hold back a bit to try and find a really good one, talking to a member at the moment and hopefully if it's all good buy it from him.

I regretted not spending more time looking for the right car for me, there has been a few small issues. But now almost 1 year down the it's has evrything it needs when it needs it + more. Been very reliable (touch wood) for the last 3-4000 miles. And also can't wait to get behind the wheel every single day. Like above I would spend as long as you can viewing, test driving and waiting for the right one to come along.

Spent £2000 on mine and then £1500 in the first 3 months sorting it out. Been thinking I should have bought a better one, but it could have been worse and is in reasonable condition now, could be a lot worse.

Reactions: GeorgieS3
Anyone is naive to think that even buying the top end of the market with tons of history, it won't need work or will be cheap to maintain.

These are £30k fast (at the time) German sports cars, and are going to take some punishment and therefore some TLC in their life.

A lot of people post 'it's cost me 1k 2k etc and I've only had it X amount of time'..... This is The norm, they all have faults and need money in certain areas. It's impossible to stay on top of a car like this.

Reactions: Stuart B, moisty and JUS3IN
My S3 cost 2k and has 145k on the clock and drives far better than a friends S3 that has 40k less on the clock and cost a grand more . Drive a few and you'll be able to tell a good one from a bad one and as Karl said be ready to dig deep to keep your future S3 healthy . I see mine as much a hobby as a car and enjoy doing the small jobs myself.

Reactions: SamHendry
Just wanted to add I really appreciate everyone's input has helped me a lot I've seen 2 s3's till now and neither was any good, guess it's just a matter of spending time and finding a good one.

when you say "not any good" what do you mean? it is the same in the vw camper buying world - if you spend too long looking rather than committing you end up by missing out on a deal.

what is important to you?
  • mechanically sound
  • bodywork / interior
  • service history
  • non accident history
  • number of owners
  • non-modified or the opposite
You are certainly doing the right thing by walking away, that takes strength.

I still wish I bought the 1st Bandit 600 I bought - as the one I bought in the end wasn't as good as the 1st one I looked at.

I still wish I bought the 1st VW type 2 I looked at as it was perfect.

Reactions: mister.c.
when you say "not any good" what do you mean? it is the same in the vw camper buying world - if you spend too long looking rather than committing you end up by missing out on a deal.

what is important to you?
  • mechanically sound
  • bodywork / interior
  • service history
  • non accident history
  • number of owners
  • non-modified or the opposite
You are certainly doing the right thing by walking away, that takes strength.

I still wish I bought the 1st Bandit 600 I bought - as the one I bought in the end wasn't as good as the 1st one I looked at.

I still wish I bought the 1st VW type 2 I looked at as it was perfect.

I wouldn't mind buying modified as long as it's done right I wouldn't go near a car generally with for example JOM coilovers or just a badly modified car generally.

In terms of owners I would prefer to a maximum of 4ish owners unless it's a bargain, and again that goes for the HPI if it's a bargain I wouldn't mind.

Service history has to be full or with loads of paperwork otherwise I will start to question everything.

And lastly colour and interior generally a fan off full black interior and maybe silver/grey on the outside.

Now finding all off that in a classic car such as the s3 is a mission, however after reading everyone's input I'm generally not too worried on the mileage anymore and just am looking at cars that have been serviced, such as the cambelt, water pump etc

And also by saying "not good" one in particular had corrosion all over the place literally the exhaust had a hole in it which the seller claimed at first he has a "sport" exhaust and the other was overpriced poor tyres poor service and No cambelt change etc it was a 2000 113k 5 owners asking for 4k!!

Hence I'm just looking around to find a decent one.

I'm yet certainly not sure to go with a pure cheap one (2/3k) and service it to get it back on its feet or to do what I always do and find the 1 owner FSH mint condition one (4/5k+)...

It took me nearly two years to find this one
http://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threads/pristine-audi-s3-1-8-quattro-3dr-nov-2002-64k-miles.240863/

I could not afford one when they first came out as they were getting on for £26k plus.

I looked at quite a few but as soon as i saw the condition of this one i knew it was the car for me.Take your time and make sure you read the buyers guide on here which was a great help to me,having such a great forum for these cars was another reason to get one.

It seems to me that a lot of 25/30+ year old mechanics buy these cars as part of the fun is working on them.Mine goes on the ramp and has a scan every week and i do 3K miles a year!,i find it a very addictive car!. Another thing for me was the fact they didn't sell many and i rarely see any on the road,it's sure to be a collectors car.

It took me nearly two years to find this one
http://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threads/pristine-audi-s3-1-8-quattro-3dr-nov-2002-64k-miles.240863/

I could not afford one when they first came out as they were getting on for £26k plus.

I looked at quite a few but as soon as i saw the condition of this one i knew it was the car for me.Take your time and make sure you read the buyers guide on here which was a great help to me,having such a great forum for these cars was another reason to get one.

It seems to me that a lot of 25/30+ year old mechanics buy these cars as part of the fun is working on them.Mine goes on the ramp and has a scan every week and i do 3K miles a year!,i find it a very addictive car!. Another thing for me was the fact they didn't sell many and i rarely see any on the road,it's sure to be a collectors car.

That is just beautiful, to be honest I never was a fan off the 8L as it looked really dated and old in my opinion but that was before I saw the s3's as there are loads of A3 8l's in London. And for their price I think I will have more fun with the S3 8l than to pay same amount or even more to get a A3 8P.

Stupid question for you guys, so my brother is against me buying an 8l S3 as he believes I will be stuck in a **** ton of bills after purchase. However going with the guide on here and having the main things changed such as the cambelt, turbo, suspensions etc ... Am I in for a surprise?

Do s3's after the things mentioned above have any other big bills coming my way? I know it's a open question and I got to consider the age of the car but any advice/experience will help.

Quick update, thanks to a previous post by member thegoal007 I've checked the MOT history of two s3's I was highly interested in specially due to their price however the following advisories was listed for both:

- Steering and suspension bushes deteriorated
- Constant velocity joint gaiter deteriorated
- oil leak
- plus some other usual minor things which I'm not too worried about

Main question is I've searched the forum for oil leak and seems like a lot of members face this, I've never had oil leak nor a lot of experience owning vehicles (only 3 ). Shall I avoid the cars due to oil leak in advisory?

Again I'm aware it could vary however how costly is it as I'm near central London and certainly don't have a driveway to pull the car apart to investigate.

Cheers

How did you manage to check the MOT history mate? Oil leak could be anything you'd have to get it inspected. Surely better to buy one which doesn't have these problems, sounds to me like thousands not hundreds to get these cars back up to scratch, unless you're a mechanic.

How did you manage to check the MOT history mate? Oil leak could be anything you'd have to get it inspected. Surely better to buy one which doesn't have these problems, sounds to me like thousands not hundreds to get these cars back up to scratch, unless you're a mechanic.

There is a post (recently) in the 8L section think the website was:

mot-history.net

That is just beautiful, to be honest I never was a fan off the 8L as it looked really dated and old in my opinion but that was before I saw the s3's as there are loads of A3 8l's in London. And for their price I think I will have more fun with the S3 8l than to pay same amount or even more to get a A3 8P.

Stupid question for you guys, so my brother is against me buying an 8l S3 as he believes I will be stuck in a **** ton of bills after purchase. However going with the guide on here and having the main things changed such as the cambelt, turbo, suspensions etc ... Am I in for a surprise?

Do s3's after the things mentioned above have any other big bills coming my way? I know it's a open question and I got to consider the age of the car but any advice/experience will help.

Anyone is naive to think that even buying the top end of the market with tons of history, it won't need work or will be cheap to maintain.

These are £30k fast (at the time) German sports cars, and are going to take some punishment and therefore some TLC in their life.

A lot of people post 'it's cost me 1k 2k etc and I've only had it X amount of time'..... This is The norm, they all have faults and need money in certain areas. It's impossible to stay on top of a car like this.

just checked mot-history.net and mine has failed every year!!

Just to update: I've finally found a car which I've planned to view this weekend ticks all my preferred boxes however I've come across a issue.

Now the problem is when I check the cars reg plate it comes up as Audi S3 and no details of gearbox i.e. 6 speed ... ! Normally all other S3's I've checked shows up as Audi A3, then under that shows S3 Quattro etc.

I was wondering if this should be a problem or sound strange (car has never had private plate)? Some apps also can't seem to find the reg and no details come up however I've done a HPI check and that came out nice and did manage to pick up the cars details also did the MOT History check on gov website and that also picked the details up.

Hopefully I made sense.

Most ins company's will put a3 s3.

Some put Audi s3 it will say on the logbook if its an s3 and they all have a 6 speed box mate

My advice would be to keep £1k of your budget aside, and use it for tax and any parts it may need.
Once you get it mint, if theres any left you can buy some mods :)
I was lucky, i bought a well looked after example with full service history and a massive folder of receipts. Just under 140k miles.
All ive needed to do is replace the nuts and bolts that attach the cats to the downpipe, and fit new shocks all round. I gave it a service for peace of mind.
I then fit a TIP and Ramair intake, Stage 1 map, and i have a FMIC and 3" DP waiting to go on.
Ive driven it over 2k miles and it feels like a brand new car!